• The KillerFrogs

Apprehension and other concerns going

BABYFACE

Face decided to volunteer and coach his youngest daughter's coed-baseball team per her request. It appears she is the only girl on the team that is full of boys.

Face's concerns are that since he will pitching to 2nd graders and does not want to strike them out or bean them. He is in a situation that practicing throwing a overhand lob ball accurately has not been much of option withut a practice catcher and batter. It has been two decades since Face hurled a baseball besides playing catch which I did for the first time recently for the first time in about 15 years. Bought both daughters and himself gloves.

Well, the first practice is this afternoon and while Face had a good arm in his youth that was honed over the years playing the infield, he hopes not to brush back his players or bean them while throwing some BP as their parents look on. Face hopes his arm does not go the Mitch Wiliiams route.

Post practice report to follow.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Apr 29 2010, 11:00 AM) [snapback]552417[/snapback]
Face decided to volunteer and coach his youngest daughter's coed-baseball team per her request. It appears she is the only girl on the team that is full of boys.

Face's concerns are that since he will pitching to 2nd graders and does not want to strike them out or bean them. He is in a situation that practicing throwing a overhand lob ball accurately has not been much of option withut a practice catcher and batter. It has been two decades since Face hurled a baseball besides playing catch which I did for the first time recently for the first time in about 15 years. Bought both daughters and himself gloves.

Well, the first practice is this afternoon and while Face had a good arm in his youth that was honed over the years playing the infield, he hopes not to brush back his players or bean them while throwing some BP as their parents look on. Face hopes his arm does not go the Mitch Wiliiams route.

2314 thinks 'Face is making fun of steel with his third-person speak :laugh:

Houston Frog

It's hard to very-softly throw a baseball overhand with consistent accuracy. It's much easier to throw it accurately if you can put something on it.

Underhand isn't an option?

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 11:05 AM) [snapback]552429[/snapback]
It's hard to very-softly throw a baseball overhand with consistent accuracy. It's much easier to throw it accurately if you can put something on it.

Underhand isn't an option?

Houston, if you keep following my posts RSF will accuse you of stalking.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Apr 29 2010, 11:00 AM) [snapback]552417[/snapback]

Hey Face...fun times.

To save face, Face you should get assistance from other dad's and have them toss BP.

Also set up plenty of stations to keep them busy, have a group hitting off a tee, one doing soft toss hitting into a net/fence during hitting practice.

Skip the infield practice until you get a few workouts in and instead for the throwing/fielding portion do a light jog, and then a progression of throwing on one knee, to short distance and then long toss. Fielding similar type progression then make then run to blow out any build up in the muscles, tell them thanks and when is the next practice give them chocolate milk and send them home.

pcf

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Apr 29 2010, 10:00 AM) [snapback]552417[/snapback]

I'd start out with "This is a football..." Have them throw a football around and then reference Tom House.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(pcf @ Apr 29 2010, 11:16 AM) [snapback]552444[/snapback]
I'd start out with "This is a football..." Have them throw a football around and then reference Tom House.

Just so long as he doesn't bring up Jose Canseco......

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 29 2010, 11:20 AM) [snapback]552449[/snapback]
Just so long as he doesn't bring up Jose Canseco......

I guess that was an attempt at humor? :wacko:
OK, we will play along :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wacko:

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 29 2010, 04:13 PM) [snapback]552442[/snapback]
Hey Face...fun times.

To save face, Face you should get assistance from other dad's and have them toss BP.

Also set up plenty of stations to keep them busy, have a group hitting off a tee, one doing soft toss hitting into a net/fence during hitting practice.

Skip the infield practice until you get a few workouts in and instead for the throwing/fielding portion do a light jog, and then a progression of throwing on one knee, to short distance and then long toss. Fielding similar type progression then make then run to blow out any build up in the muscles, tell them thanks and when is the next practice give them chocolate milk and send them home.

This is good advice.

Also, keep spouting such aphorisms as "Equal and Opposite!" and "Long arm!" and "Reverse C!" You will wow them.

Also, of course, do not let an inkling of apprehension show through. Go forth confidently.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Take a knee while throwing. Takes some of the speed and bad angle off, gives you less to worry about, and as far as the kids are concerned it is more realistic and therefore better practice.

EDIT - Feisty gets credit for that... didn't see that little nugget in his paragraph.

toad horny

QUOTE(satis1103 @ Apr 29 2010, 12:05 PM) [snapback]552492[/snapback]
Take a knee while throwing. Takes some of the speed and bad angle off, gives you less to worry about, and as far as the kids are concerned it is more realistic and therefore better practice.

I agree. My son is in coach-pitch baseball. I had to pitch one game and another dad gave me this advice - throw it like you throw a dart. It's easier and it works. You can put a little on it as the kids have an easier time hitting the ball coming on a flat plane as opposed to a sinker. Good luck.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Apr 29 2010, 08:00 AM) [snapback]552417[/snapback]

I'm a little league manager with a lot of experience. The first lesson that you should teach your kids is the proper technique with an inside pitch. For a right handed hitter - left shoulder turned in towards the plate, head and face down and facing the back stop, bat down, and knees bent. If the kids are moving their feet away from the plate to avoid inside pitches, that is the first step towards a bail out swing which will take years to correct.

I assume that you are using soft practice balls? Put a whiffle ball in the BP bucket. When you secretly pull this ball, throw it at the head of the hitter. Repeat until the kids learn the proper way protect themselves from an inside pitch. This should be the first lesson that you teach the kids.

Is your league coach pitch? The most valuable player on the team will be the adult that throws the pitches. Practice! Do not throw slow balls that arc in with gravity. Put a little bit of steam on the throw so that they are straight. Its much more difficult to hit an arcing ball than a straight one. The kids will compensate for the arc by upper cutting - which will take years to correct.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I like these ideas. Add a little twist. Bean them with a whiffle ball several times, and then bean them with a real ball. They will learn that it doesn't hurt as much as they expected.

Frog92

Between my two boys I am now completing my 8th (and last) season serving mostly as the coach-pitcher for their teams.

The dart method works well for many, but I never could get comfortable with it. The knee suggestion is fine, but several leagues (including mine) don't allow it. Mostly because you also have to get out of the way quickly and often. The most important thing is if you can throw strikes and they can see the ball out of your hand.

Completely agree on throwing a little harder versus really soft. Over a few practices you'll learn where certain kids like the ball. And some of them will only hit it if you hit exactly that spot. That person is absolutely the most critical person to any coach-pitch team's success.

I actually recently retired from pitching for this season. For my first time ever, a bunch my kids somehow suddenly couldn't hit me. If that is the case, don't be too proud. I was fortunate to have an assistant that could do it as well or better than me. And if they can hit him better, there is no shame in that. Whatever is best for the kids on that particular team.

Finally, if you do it enough you will hit a kid every once in awhile. Especially in wind like today. You aren't throwing hard enough to hurt them. Most kids are pretty resilient about it and, frankly, if they are afraid of the ball because of it then they are probably not long for baseball. Wait until they turn 9 when the kids are pitching, they'll be scared to death. Overcoming that fear is the #1 hurdle kids have to clear.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Coach-pitch is really fun baseball, and so much better than that first year of kid pitch.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Apr 29 2010, 04:00 PM) [snapback]552417[/snapback]

Honestly, this is one of the best posts I have seen on this board in a long, long time.

My son and daughter are now mid-20's and gone from college, but I remember the days well.

Face, remember - the first day of practice is the first day of practice.
Meaning, it will take you a practice or three to get the groove, but you will hone it in, as will the kids. By the 3rd practice you will be putting the ball exactly where each kid likes it and they will know what you are going to do and you all will have an absolute ball this year!! Good luck and remember - HAVE FUN!!! That is what is really important!!!
Winning is not as important as each kid having a good experience and having fond memories years later.

You all will do great!

FrogAbroad

I know nothing about baseball, even less about kids.

But I think it's great a dad is taking part in the life of his kids and others.

Enjoy it, Face... and let 'em be kids and enjoy playing, too.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(NativeFrog @ Apr 29 2010, 02:52 PM) [snapback]552713[/snapback]
No post-practice report? BabyFace must have been so nervous that he barfed in the equipment bag and had to cancel practice.

Man you are something else. I wasn't nervous but rather didn't want to bean my players the first time out. These are 7-8 year olds not 10-12 year olds, which I would love to coach because I could help hone the skills and get them ready for ball in HS.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 29 2010, 01:28 PM) [snapback]552598[/snapback]
I like these ideas. Add a little twist. Bean them with a whiffle ball several times, and then bean them with a real ball. They will learn that it doesn't hurt as much as they expected.

:biggrin: