• The KillerFrogs

AP: Washington, Williams bolster Cardinals defense

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/AP.../D9F95IV02.html

[SIZE=14pt]Washington, Williams bolster Cardinals defense[/SIZE]

By BOB BAUM / Associated Press

Shoring up a leaky defense was the No. 1 objective of the Arizona Cardinals in the NFL draft, and they traded up 11 spots in the second round to address one of their biggest needs by nabbing linebacker Daryl Washington of TCU.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said the Cardinals had Washington high on their board at No. 12, right behind Arizona's first-round pick, nose tackle Dan Williams of Tennessee.

The two selections give the two-time defending NFC West champions a young core in the middle of what had been a shaky defense, especially in the playoffs, when the Cardinals gave up 45 points each to Green Bay and New Orleans.

"Everybody wants to talk about the last two games for us, the two playoff games, and point the finger at defense," Whisenhunt said. "Obviously we said coming into the draft that that was an area we wanted to look at. We feel like we got two of the top defensive players in the draft and it just so happens that they fit needs for us."

Washington, small for the position at 6-foot-2, 235 pounds, will be groomed as the replacement for inside linebacker Karlos Dansby, who signed a five-year, $43 million contract with Miami, $22 million of it guaranteed. General manager Rod Graves said it was an easy decision to make the trade up to get the linebacker.

Washington was the 47th selection overall on Friday. New England got Arizona's 58th selection overall and the 89th choice overall in the third round. Arizona retained the 88th pick and used it to draft speedy punt returner-wide receiver Andre Roberts of The Citadel.

"Obviously we felt the time was right to do it," Whisenhunt said of the trade. "In losing a player like Karlos Dansby, who's a very athletic linebacker who did a lot of things on the field, we feel like we've addressed that with a young guy that can do a lot of the similar type things."

The Cardinals had Washington in for a visit.

"We were struck by how intelligent the kid was," Graves said. "We felt like he had an excellent year. He certainly fits a need for us. Our guys felt like he was probably the most athletic linebacker in the draft."

Washington, part of the No. 1 defense in college football at TCU, said he knows how difficult it will be to replace the skilled, quick Dansby as the playmaking linebacker in Arizona's 3-4 defense.

"He actually was a player that I liked to watch," Washington said in a telephone conference call. "a very aggressive player, a very smart player, knows the game of football. ... It's going to be big shoes to fill but I'm ready to get in there and work as hard as I can and be a better player than him or be as good as him."

The Cardinals look at Roberts as a replacement for Steve Breaston as a punt returner. Whisenhunt wants to ease the load on Breaston now that the receiver has moved up to the No. 2 spot following the trade of Anquan Boldin. Whisenhunt also likes the idea of Roberts as a slot receiver. After competing at the smaller-school level, Roberts bolstered his stock with his performance at the Senior Bowl and the NFL draft combine.

Williams flew from New York to Phoenix on Friday, and at a news conference at Cardinals headquarters, he said the fact that he was picked later than expected was "a blessing in disguise."

The 6-foot-3, 327-pound lineman from Tennessee comes to a team that has an immediate need at nose tackle.

"I am going to a good team, a good playoff team," he said at a news conference. "You have great players around you."

Williams said he wants to be a starter but knows he has to earn the spot. He repeated that he is good at stopping the run but needs to work on his pass rush.

"It is just like I am starting all over again," Williams said. "I am in front of a new coaching staff. I have to prove myself to my coaches and to my teammates, that they can depend on me. ... I do want to start and I am not expecting anything to be handed to me."