• The KillerFrogs

AP: Tired No. 4 TCU has done its job for playoff so far at 11-0

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
AP: Tired No. 4 TCU has done its job for playoff so far at 11-0

STEPHEN HAWKINS

7db2ddbf4c8465a77fbebad13de6785a

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — There will be some people who look at how fourth-ranked TCU is still undefeated going into the final week of the regular season, and they will question if the Horned Frogs really deserve to be part of the playoff discussion.

Their latest victory came on a chaotic game-ending field goal that capped a two-score rally in the final 2 minutes, 7 seconds at Baylor, in a stadium with a bitter playoff-busting memory for the Frogs (11-0, 8-0 Big 12, No. 4 CFP). Only one of their conference wins has been by more than 10 points and they had to overcome double-digit deficits after halftime in back-to-back games last month.

“They can say whatever they want to say. Our job’s to win football games. We’ve done our job up to this point,” first-year TCU coach Sonny Dykes said after Saturday's 29-28 win. “And, you know, hopefully we’ll do it again Saturday. And what anybody says I couldn't care less about."

Read more at https://news.yahoo.com/tired-no-4-tcu-done-205747071.html

‘Those will be the 10th and 11th consecutive Saturdays for TCU to play since its open date during Week 3 back in mid-September.

“We're tired. I mean, I'm not going to lie. ... We’ve played a lot of games like this, and this takes a lot out of you,” Dykes said.’

Limp Lizard

Wonder if the B12 will screw us again next season. We start off with Colorado, Nicholls, no game, then SMU. Once again, a natural spot to give us a bye week. If this happens, we have to tell SMU to play us earlier in 2024, or bye-bye.

But surely the B12 would not do this to us again. Especially if we make the playoffs.

Palliative Care

Yes they are tired and I bet more backups will play bigger roles this week. Their depth will be needed to get through the next two weeks. Grit and determination is what will take them through to the end.

Planks

‘Those will be the 10th and 11th consecutive Saturdays for TCU to play since its open date during Week 3 back in mid-September.

“We're tired. I mean, I'm not going to lie. ... We’ve played a lot of games like this, and this takes a lot out of you,” Dykes said.’

Yeah this is the biggest issue we have. No byes on our conference schedule. No easy games where we can rest our starters after going up big.

This team is running on fumes and it sounds like Dykes knows we probably don’t have enough left in the tank to make it these last two games without a loss.

Our problem is exacerbated by the order of the Texas and K State games this weekend. If Texas wins Friday morning and K State loses, that means Texas will have an extra 27+ hours over us to rest and prepare for the Big 12 championship. And if Texas loses, then K State is guaranteed a spot in the Big 12 championship regardless of their game on Saturday. K State could just rest all of their starters the last game and focus 100% on beating TCU. For K State, what’s the difference? I’m sure they want to beat rival Kansas, but they already have 3 losses, what difference does a 4th loss make if it helps you win the conference title game and go to the Sugar Bowl?

I wonder if it would be worth it at this point to just rest our starters against Iowa State and take the loss. Direct all of our focus to winning the Big 12 title game and locking up a spot in the Sugar Bowl at minimum.

If we play our starters against Iowa State and have another slugfest win or lose, then I think we are done for in the Big 12 title game against a potentially more rested Texas/K State team. It’s just too many weeks in a row without rest.

If we lose the Big 12 title game, we lose everything. We lose the playoffs, the conference championship, the Sugar bowl. We’d be a 2nd place 12-1 team off to the Cotton Bowl to face Tulane or someone else lackluster.

Last edited:

Frog Attack II

Yeah this is the biggest issue we have. No byes on our conference schedule. No easy games where we can rest our starters after going up big.

This team is running on fumes and it sounds like Dykes knows we probably don’t have enough left in the tank to make it these last two games without a loss.

Our problem is exacerbated by the order of the Texas and K State games this weekend. If Texas wins Friday morning and K State loses, that means Texas will have an extra 27+ hours over us to rest and prepare for the Big 12 championship. And if Texas loses, then K State is guaranteed a spot in the Big 12 championship regardless of their game on Saturday. K State could just rest all of their starters the last game and focus 100% on beating TCU. For K State, what’s the difference? I’m sure they want to beat rival Kansas, but they already have 3 losses, what difference does a 4th loss make if it helps you win the conference title game and go to the Sugar Bowl?

I wonder if it would be worth it at this point to just rest our starters against Iowa State and take the loss. Direct all of our focus to winning the Big 12 title game and locking up a spot in the Sugar Bowl at minimum.

If we play our starters against Iowa State and have another slugfest win or lose, then I think we are done for in the Big 12 title game against a potentially more rested Texas/K State team. It’s just too many weeks in a row without rest.

If we lose the Big 12 title game, we lose everything. We lose the playoffs, the conference championship, the Sugar bowl. We’d be a 2nd place 12-1 team off to the Cotton Bowl to face Tulane or someone else lackluster.
Who pee'd in your cheerios bro? Man, have some faith... a little optimism... good Lord. Surprised you didn't mention the pending recession and WWIII with an upcoming nuclear winter as your last paragraph.

puckster59

They very easily could blow out Kansas AND get to rest people. I wouldnt mind seeing the Frogs do the same this week.

Eight

think the fatigue sonny is talking about isn't as much physical as mental

one thing this team hasn't had to date is a game that they are just flat on both sides of the ball

that takes a great deal of mental energy and discipline and talking with friends who coach what the frogs in that last drive against baylor was incredibly impressive to them with what was at stake, the series of challenges, and the game coming after reaching a significant accomplishment

not trying to diminish the physical aches and pains this roster is feeling,but everyone has that this time of year

keeping that mental focus with everyone asking for your time plus the physical challenge has been key

Wexahu

I think it's ridiculous to think that K-State isn't going to do whatever they need to do to make sure they beat Kansas, and I think it's completely over-the-top ridiculous to suggest they we might want to think about resting players this week (and just take a loss) to get ready for the CCG.

These kids are 18-22 years old, they will be fine. And we are 11-0.

Good God man....WTH. The "we should maybe just take a loss" against ISU might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen here. It's like people try and one up each other.

Wexahu

think the fatigue sonny is talking about isn't as much physical as mental

one thing this team hasn't had to date is a game that they are just flat on both sides of the ball

that takes a great deal of mental energy and discipline and talking with friends who coach what the frogs in that last drive against baylor was incredibly impressive to them with what was at stake, the series of challenges, and the game coming after reaching a significant accomplishment

not trying to diminish the physical aches and pains this roster is feeling,but everyone has that this time of year

keeping that mental focus with everyone asking for your time plus the physical challenge has been key
QJ, Kendre and D David weren't even involved on that last drive. It was mostly kids that play but aren't the centerpieces of the offense. They shouldn't have mental fatigue like some of the others might.

Wexahu

One more thing, we have more depth than K-State. Their starting RB has carried the ball 36 more times than ours has. They basically have three WRs who play, and catch all their passes, other than the RB I just referenced.

They are the ones who should be more worn out, at least physically.

froglash88

The No. 15 Wildcats are likely to be TCU’s opponent in the Big 12 title game on Dec. 3 and, if they win out, will be another key opponent for TCU’s College Football Playoff chances. Even if TCU somehow loses at home to Iowa State on the final week of the regular season, a second win over Kansas State and a Big 12 title should be enough to keep TCU in the playoff at 12-1.

No way I trust this though

dawg

Wonder if the B12 will screw us again next season. We start off with Colorado, Nicholls, no game, then SMU. Once again, a natural spot to give us a bye week. If this happens, we have to tell SMU to play us earlier in 2024, or bye-bye.
Absolutely this.

CardFrog

How about we blow Iowa State off the field in the 1st half and rest everyone for the entire 2nd half....then we put a boot up either Texas or KState's ass on the way to the CFP ......that could happen as well.

Eight

QJ, Kendre and D David weren't even involved on that last drive. It was mostly kids that play but aren't the centerpieces of the offense. They shouldn't have mental fatigue like some of the others might.

think we are talking a cumulative thing and learning to control your thoughts

listening to roger clemens during the astros run this year it was interesting to hear him talk about the mental wear of the year followed by the intensity of the play off games

can be very fatiguing if you aren't adept at controlling those emotions and knowing how to recharge between games

LVH

But surely the B12 would not do this to us again. Especially if we make the playoffs.
Rumor is we have a road game at Houston Week 3 next year

The conference didn’t tell us to schedule SMU for week 4 when the other teams are playing a conference game so that is on our prior regime for prioritizing that game at that time. That being said, the rumor is that we will play Houston that week for their first Big 12 game.