• The KillerFrogs

AP: TCU chancellor: Gary Patterson apologized for use of racial slur

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
ESPN: TCU chancellor: Gary Patterson apologized for use of racial slur

Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas -- TCU's chancellor said football coach Gary Patterson apologized Monday for repeating a racial slur when telling a player to stop using the slur in team meetings.

Linebacker Dylan Jordan accused Patterson on Twitter of using the slur during a confrontation at practice on Sunday. Center Kellton Hollins said on Twitter the team's leadership council discussed the issue with Patterson and told him use of the word wasn't acceptable in any context.

School Chancellor Victor Boschini wrote in an email to TCU's student media that Patterson didn't use the slur against any player or group on the team.

Read more at https://www.espn.com/college-footba...lor-gary-patterson-apologizes-use-racial-slur

steelfrog

Tier 1
This headline still makes GP look like the villain here.

He is the villain. He recognizes as much. Why do you people keep on acting like everything he does is gold? It isn't, ok? Nobody is perfect. He F'ed up, pure and simple. It's not the end of the world to acknowledge a mistake. He will be better for it, and the team will as well, hopefully.

steelfrog

Tier 1
BS, context matters.

Steel agrees, wholeheartedly.

The context is this:

GP is standing in a group of black men, he, a white, 50-something, educated millionaire who happens to be their boss, who holds ultimate power over them, and they, none over him.

And in that context, he chooses (a) to confront one black teen in front of the other black teens; (b) and to use a word most of us would hesitate to utter around our best white friends, much less another black person.

MORE context, is that he had MANY other alternatives available to him. First, he could have chosen NOT to use the N word at all, how about that?

Secondly, if this was a persistent problem, as apparently it was, he could have planned a MUCH more mature venue to raise the issue.

You know all of this, because it's obvious. Stop trying to defend the indefensible, you look like a moron. GP himself doesn't defend it, why would you?

Zubaz

So, GMFP does nothing wrong, and is called a slew of names, branded a racist, and forced to make an apology by our numbskull Chancellor. You evidently think this is all good.
Patterson did do something wrong though. Kinda the point. He has not been "branded a racist" by anyone honestly looking at the situation (least of all his locker room) but he made a mistake, apologized, so now everything is all good.

It would be infinitely worse for everyone: Patterson, the players, and TCU, had Patterson not apologized for his error. Struggling to see where the issue is.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

The context is this:

GP is standing in a group of black men, he, a white, 50-something, educated millionaire who happens to be their boss, who holds ultimate power over them, and they, none over him.

And in that context, he chooses (a) to confront one black teen in front of the other black teens; (b) and to use a word most of us would hesitate to utter around our best white friends, much less another black person.

MORE context, is that he had MANY other alternatives available to him. First, he could have chosen NOT to use the N word at all, how about that?

Secondly, if this was a persistent problem, as apparently it was, he could have planned a MUCH more mature venue to raise the issue.

You know all of this, because it's obvious. Stop trying to defend the indefensible, you look like a moron. GP himself doesn't defend it, why would you?

Context is the the way it was used. The way it was used was as an example of a word he doesn’t want to be used in his locker room. Intent is also a factor. There was no racist intent with the usage of the word and that is the whole crux of this whole to do. I probably wouldn’t use it in any context, not that I agree that the word used the way it was by GP was offensive, but because the over-sensitivity of our culture to it when not used to offend.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Patterson did do something wrong though. Kinda the point. He has not been "branded a racist" by anyone honestly looking at the situation (least of all his locker room) but he made a mistake, apologized, so now everything is all good.

It would be infinitely worse for everyone: Patterson, the players, and TCU, had Patterson not apologized for his error. Struggling to see where the issue is.
He did something wrong by correcting a knucklehead? His players, aside from the knucklehead, don't seem to think he did anything wrong. The rest is the effect of "coverage" by the Media, running with a juicy bit of clickbait bereft of context or background. Trying to make things all better by hopping around to the tune of the Media gets you nowhere, and making GMFP march out and apologize makes him look like somebody who committed the acts imputed to him by the Media in the first place.

I simply view it as a no-win situation. The best course, to me at least, would have been to let the players own messages speak for the team as a whole.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain

The context is this:

Except that is not what happened.

Patterson did not confront Dylan in front of his teammates. Patterson said the word when addressing the team the next day to clarify what was said during his meeting with Dylan because Dylan was telling people something different. During that clarification coach simply told the team what was said verbatim. Should he have? Probably not, but in that instance context does matter. The fact that Dylan acted like he didn't know what Coach was talking about until Patterson had to tell him the word that he was told Dylan was using in the locker room underscores how immature this young man is. Then he has the gall to use a private meeting as a social media attack (tagged it #BLM) on coach. I'm sorry, but Dylan is the villain, while Patterson made a mistake.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Context is the the way it was used. The way it was used was as an example of a word he doesn’t want to be used in his locker room. Intent is also a factor. The was no racist intent with the usage of the word and that is the whole crux of this whole to do. I probably wouldn’t use it in any context, not that I agree that the word used the way it was by GP was offensive, but because the over-sensitivity of our culture to it when not used to offend.

You are viewing it only from the GP's subjective perspective. And, a very charitable view at that (i.e., you cannot know WHAT his intent was).

Have you considered the fact that there are other perspectives by which GP's words could be judged by? That is, the audience perspective. Why do you place all emphasis on GP's intent and not the perspective of the audience? Do you think it would have been helpful to avoid this episode if GP had thought about his audience before saying what he did?

Steel will ask you a very simple question, and you will answer it ya miserable pile of unadulterated dograp:

Would you, an old, white Hoosier, surrounded by a group of young black employees of yours, use the N word in ANY context?

Answer the damn question.

Wexahu

He did something wrong by correcting a knucklehead? His players, aside from the knucklehead, don't seem to think he did anything wrong. The rest is the effect of "coverage" by the Media, running with a juicy bit of clickbait bereft of context or background. Trying to make things all better by hopping around to the tune of the Media gets you nowhere, and making GMFP march out and apologize makes him look like somebody who committed the acts imputed to him by the Media in the first place.

I simply view it as a no-win situation. The best course, to me at least, would have been to let the players own messages speak for the team as a whole.

He used the word only in telling someone else who was using the word to stop using it, and it has created this. I mean seriously, it is truly a bizzare world we live in.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Patterson did do something wrong though. Kinda the point. He has not been "branded a racist" by anyone honestly looking at the situation [...]

That's the problem. Once you invoke BLM people stop looking at the situation honestly. The lines were drawn the minute Niko decided to be an ass and tweet this out. Dylan then compounded the issue by misrepresenting the situation in his tweet that he tagged #BLM, knowing full well what that would entail. Patterson's mistake was being up front with his players in what was said. From what I've heard the players appreciate Patterson's honesty and after a heart to heart everyone came away more unified... not sure what Dylan's popularity in the locker room is right now, but I've heard they're trying to get through this as a family—which I respect.