• The KillerFrogs

AP: TCU’s struggling D tries to correct course vs. West Virginia

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU’s struggling D tries to correct course vs. West Virginia​

By SCHUYLER DIXON

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — TCU’s often-stingy defense is in an unfamiliar place among the triple-digit crowd in the NCAA rankings, with two losses when scoring in the 30s after years of coach Gary Patterson preaching the Horned Frogs only needed one more point than the other team.

West Virginia visits Saturday night, bringing the Big 12′s worst rushing offense but a solid passing attack to face a TCU unit with a history of getting to the quarterback, but just eight sacks in six games this year.

“What I told them last week, I’m going to start calling this defense; we’ve got to blitz; that’s what makes us,” Patterson said. “We can’t just do what I call ‘beer can’ defense where you just stand there and the offense can do whatever they want to do because you’re not giving them any other looks and you’re just playing base.”

Read more at https://apnews.com/article/college-...ry-patterson-f81d5c9c2114b7b0fd67eeb8d8ab9da6

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
“What I told them last week, I’m going to start calling this defense; we’ve got to blitz; that’s what makes us,” Patterson said. “We can’t just do what I call ‘beer can’ defense where you just stand there and the offense can do whatever they want to do because you’re not giving them any other looks and you’re just playing base.”
Game 7.

CountryFrog

I predict they will look good this week and we get a big win. The Tech defense held this WVU team to 20 in Morgantown. This needs to be a comfortable win for the Frogs.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Reading that as him saying he needs to be able to call certain blitz’s that he hasn’t been able to call because they aren’t communicating well or just not understanding it, versus saying he hasn’t been calling the defense at all.
Yeah, it is typical Garyspeak that requires some translation/explaining/context.

Limp Lizard

The main thing that worries me about WVU is they had a bye week to get healthy and their heads on straight. Still a little miffed about TCU having its bye on the third week. OU has theirs after 9 games, Texas after the first 7 (this week). TCU has often used a late bye week to get healthy. There was one good year when we went several games in a row and did OK, though.

CountryFrog

The main thing that worries me about WVU is they had a bye week to get healthy and their heads on straight. Still a little miffed about TCU having its bye on the third week. OU has theirs after 9 games, Texas after the first 7 (this week). TCU has often used a late bye week to get healthy. There was one good year when we went several games in a row and did OK, though.
Hopefully WVU comes off their bye looking just as sharp as we did coming off our bye.

Froggy Style

So, we aren't blitzing and we still have no safeties to protect men in single coverage. What a defense.

I agree we aren't blitzing that much, we just rush four guys who get no pressure and drift a LB our to cover a WR, and then he runs past that guy to get into single coverage with a safety that is flat footed and force to act like a corner. Consider this: our 2nd best corner is the worst corner in the Big 12...so how bad are our safties going to be in single coverage?

Now, with 5 WRs, is it smart to have two LBs AND blitz? That is call the GP panic blitz. The offenses are ready for him now.