• The KillerFrogs

AP: Rams waive LB Travin Howard, who clinched NFC title game

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Rams waive LB Travin Howard, who clinched NFC title game​

BY GREG BEACHAM AP SPORTS WRITER

Rams-Howard_Waived_Football_77999.jpg

THOUSAND OAKS, CALIF. – The Los Angeles Rams have waived Travin Howard, the inside linebacker who made the game-clinching interception in their NFC championship game victory just over four months ago.

The Rams announced the move Wednesday after the final on-field workout of their offseason program. Howard was scheduled to make $2.54 million this season after signing his restricted free agent tender last month.

Howard was a seventh-round draft pick who only saw game action for the Rams in two of his four seasons with the club, but he had a knack for big moments.

Read more at https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article262310217.html

OmniscienceFrog

I thought he started for them. I’m not an NFL guy, but the games towards the end of the season had him on the field a lot. Was someone hurt?
"Howard was a seventh-round draft pick who only saw game action for the Rams in two of his four seasons with the club, but he had a knack for big moments."

He did see a lot of action in the 2021-22 season.

Eight

I thought he started for them. I’m not an NFL guy, but the games towards the end of the season had him on the field a lot. Was someone hurt?

they had injuries in the secondary this past season to the point they talked a guy who had been retired for 2 years into coming back to play

howard seemed very much like a tweener for them. too small for safety, but struggled at times in one on one coverage as a safety

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Can someone who understands the X’s and O’s better than I do explain why a team would release him and then a week later re-sign him again? Salary cap??

CountryFrog

Can someone who understands the X’s and O’s better than I do explain why a team would release him and then a week later re-sign him again? Salary cap??
Has to be cap related. I don't know all the specifics of his contracts but my guess is that they were able to avoid paying him some type of roster bonus on his old contract by releasing him before a certain date. Then they probably signed him to a new contract that either had a lower bonus or was a multi-year deal where the bonus could be prorated through the life of the contract for cap purposes.