• The KillerFrogs

AP Poll 8-20-18

SnoSki

Honestly? I think the CFP committee would pick the team that they think has the better resume, I don't think it matters much where they were ranked pre-season. In the old days your statement would be much more true than it is now.

I think that the committee would be hard-pressed to ignore the little number that has been attached to these teams all season long.

If A was always ranked higher than B for the entire season, starting with the preseason poll, I think the human nature of the committee would become biased in favor of the team that started the season high in the polls (and thus garnered more love from the media from day 1).

Zubaz

I honestly think the preseason poll is one of the most important ones to come out all year. Hear me out:

Two teams from different conferences go 12-1, winning conference champ games but losing one game in the same week to a similar caliber opponent. One started out ranked preseason #1 and another started out unranked.

Which team is likely playoff bound and which is likely left out?
Not exactly the same situation, but in 2010 we started at #6 were jumped by both #22 Auburn and #11 Oregon over the course of the season.

I think late season situations matter more than pre-season stuff, especially if you are talking 1-loss conference champion teams that will almost assuredly be in the hunt for a CFP berth. Things like how the ranked teams on your schedule have held up tend to be more important than where they were when you beat them, for example (see 2014 OU for the classic example).

SnoSki

Not exactly the same situation, but in 2010 we started at #6 were jumped by both #22 Auburn and #11 Oregon over the course of the season.

I think late season situations matter more than pre-season stuff, especially if you are talking 1-loss conference champion teams that will almost assuredly be in the hunt for a CFP berth. Things like how the ranked teams on your schedule have held up tend to be more important than where they were when you beat them, for example (see 2014 OU for the classic example).

That’s a good point, I had forgotten about that.

Wexahu

I think that the committee would be hard-pressed to ignore the little number that has been attached to these teams all season long.

If A was always ranked higher than B for the entire season, starting with the preseason poll, I think the human nature of the committee would become biased in favor of the team that started the season high in the polls (and thus garnered more love from the media from day 1).

"Love from the media" is so subjective and, in my opinion, so irrelevant. For example, nobody thinks we ever get any love from the media, but we do all the time when we are good. And every time a pundit says something even the slightest bit "negative" about a team, especially your favorite team, they are suddenly a hater with an agenda. It's totally ridiculous. Win games and everything else takes care of itself.

I honestly think the preseason poll is one of the most important ones to come out all year. Hear me out:

Two teams from different conferences go 12-1, winning conference champ games but losing one game in the same week to a similar caliber opponent. One started out ranked preseason #1 and another started out unranked.

Which team is likely playoff bound and which is likely left out?
The one with the most valuable logo on the helmet.