• The KillerFrogs

Anyone worried about our Defense?

McFroggin

We have lost two 3/4 year starters at DB, 1-2 LB's (don't know when Tank will be back), our star defensive end, and maybe I'm missing even more.

That is a LOT of experience for any defense to lose to start a season. Our offense better be ready to go! Scoring at will surely would help while our defense mend itself.

McFroggin

Forgot that our back-up LB Kris Gardner is also injured.

That and GP isn't happy with our DE situation.

At least James and Smith are lighting it up on offense!

Young and Horned

Well, I think we were all a bit worried about it before last year when we lost 2 starting LBs, 2 starting DLs, a DE, and a SS.

Fact is, we reload. I am not worried at all.

FROGDADDY

I'd be more worried about our defense if I thought there was a defense on our schedule that was going to stop our offense.

McFroggin

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Apr 9 2010, 09:06 AM) [snapback]542451[/snapback]
I'd be more worried about our defense if I thought there was a defense on our schedule that was going to stop our offense.

That is really what I am hoping. With a better ground game, Dalton should have it easy all day long.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Young and Horned @ Apr 9 2010, 10:06 AM) [snapback]542448[/snapback]
Fact is, we rebuild. I am not worried at all.

Damn, I'd feel a lot better if we reloaded.

y2kFrog

QUOTE(McFroggin @ Apr 9 2010, 07:00 AM) [snapback]542440[/snapback]
We have lost two 3/4 year starters at DB, 1-2 LB's (don't know when Tank will be back), our star defensive end, and maybe I'm missing even more.

That is a LOT of experience for any defense to lose to start a season. Our offense better be ready to go! Scoring at will surely would help while our defense mend itself.

If you look at it on the other side that means we have 6 or 7 (depending on Tank) guys returning from a defense that has finished number 1 in the country 2 years in a row.

McFroggin

QUOTE(y2kFrog @ Apr 9 2010, 09:10 AM) [snapback]542458[/snapback]
If you look at it on the other side that means we have 6 or 7 (depending on Tank) guys returning from a defense that has finished number 1 in the country 2 years in a row.

If our replacements weren't so inexperienced, I'd look at it that way. 6-7 proven guys isn't 11.... and this is a team sport.

Brock (sophomore with minimal experience) is our top LB - one of the most important positions on the team. Kid better be ready to go.

Houston Frog

I'm not worried about our defense. Sure, we may drop off a little, but a lot of schools do alright who aren't #1 in the nation. I imagine we'll still finish in the top 10 though.

I think we've gotten a little spoiled by CGP and Bumpas in regards to the defensive standard they've set.

Gunner

QUOTE(McFroggin @ Apr 9 2010, 03:00 PM) [snapback]542440[/snapback]

Not worried about Greg Burks. :biggrin:

4th. down

QUOTE(Daniel @ Apr 9 2010, 03:12 PM) [snapback]542462[/snapback]
Never worry about a Gary Patterson-coached defense.

+1.

With Tank being injured, possible medical exemption, this gives our other LB's some good coaching/teaching time. We have quality depth now which we didn't have 5-6yrs. ago.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
To answer the question, no.

The CB's that will be first on the depth chart played admirably when forced into significant PT last year. They are arguably an upgrade. Even if we go from a top ranked D to a top 20 D due to some experience issues, we should be fine given the offense's capabilities.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Logan Sligar!

Biggest downside is that this will probably force Tanner inside and he won't get the work he needs playing the SAM. On the other hand Cain, Burks & Sligar will get a lot more reps with ones & twos so that should quicken their development. Wish Mallett had been able to enroll early but he and Roberts will be welcome additions in June. Roberts may be needed right away at either DE or LB.

McFroggin

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 9 2010, 09:20 AM) [snapback]542475[/snapback]
I think we've gotten a little spoiled by CGP and Bumpas in regards to the defensive standard they've set.

Agreed.

Young and Horned

Fact is McFroggin, those inexperienced players were chosen by CGP for a reason and I am sure we will all see why this Fall. Most of them have gone up against a very good offense all week during the Fall.

If there is one thing our defense is known for, it is reloading. You can tell that the National media knows this and expects us to be looking down on others again this year. That is what happens when you have such a great coaching staff who find and gets the players that we need in this program.

talor

Hawthorne, Henson, Phillips, Washington. Those 4 names prove that we can build a NFL quality LB. We only need 1 guy to step up.

At worst, I bet Tank is ready to go by the time conference play starts.

McFroggin

QUOTE(Young and Horned @ Apr 9 2010, 09:28 AM) [snapback]542487[/snapback]
Fact is McFroggin, those inexperienced players were chosen by CGP for a reason and I am sure we will all see why this Fall. Most of them have gone up against a very good offense all week during the Fall.

All week. You are joking right? You can't build a player in a week. I understand these are all players CGP wanted, and I am sure they will turn into great players. GP will make it happen. It just won't happen overnight.

A big part of football is experience. Skill is nice, but you need the smarts of playing against different offenses week in/out. Compared to last year, we are working with less experienced players. Sure Washington was a first year starter, but he was also a senior. We also worked in a new SS, but our VERY experienced DB's were there as back-up.

We don't have experienced back-up this year.

Every LB we have is a sophomore or younger correct? Our SS's are both being hampered with injuries. GP isn't happy with our DE problem.

We have a LOT of youth on defense that will undoubtedly pay off in the long run. How soon can they pick this up though?