• The KillerFrogs

anyone remember the cannon?

Rabidfrog

Seems to me that I recall the time, maybe in the late 60s, when we tried to emulate A&M and UT by shooting off a cannon on the hill above the south end zone, and they used too much powder, or something, and the thing came off the wheels and rolled down the hill. Anyone recall that?

Limp Lizard

I remember the cannon a little. I was an undergrad at TCU 1965-1969 seasons. Don't remember what happened to it. Not needed now that we have the Frog Horn.

Pharm Frog

I have some memories of The Toy Cannon. Nothing about a cannon at TCU. FWIW-Jimmy Wynn passed away last year.

But I think we should learn to fire a t-shirt cannon more consistently before graduating to a real one.

Wog68

What happened to the Vigilantes? They were into heavy drinking and hazing new members in 1971.
I was acquainted with a few of them. Good dudes.
I dated a Vigilette in the 60's. She was a great Dude-ette and also enjoyed a cocktail or two at the OUI Lounge.

Last edited:

Wog68

Homecoming 1966 Click on pic for better view

Attachments

• 20211124_093333.jpg
    20211124_093333.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Chongo94

So are or were the vigilantes the same group that dresses up like cowboys at the games today?…(can never remember their name!…TCU website says the Rangers but I’m pretty sure that’s not what they were called when I was there?)

Big Frog II

I remember the cannon. Sadly in the 70's they rarely got to set it off. Once they started to build the weight rooms and expand the dressing rooms, there was no place to put it. Of course with the Vigilantes going away, there was no one to take care of the thing.

FrogAbroad

One semester in the middle-60s I needed a few extra hours so I enrolled in whatever "music appreciation" was called back then. I recall one test question, "What is a musical canon?" My answer was "A very loud percussion instrument." I passed the class, anyway.