• The KillerFrogs

Anyone remember D'Eriq King?

Spike

I believe we told Shea Reagan he could have a chance to compete at QB. Turned out to be a decent TE that we rarely threw to. He just kept growing.

MinFrog

Just look at Sewo. You don't think that GP would LOVE to turn that young man into an all-american LB? but he told he would give him a shot at RB and he is sticking with it.

MCFROG III

King entered the '16 season as the 3rd string QB, but he wasn't going to displace the senior, Ward, Jr., at UH.
Due to injuries at WR and King's obvious athleticism, he was moved to WR. After Ward's backup QB, Postma, was injured, King moved back as the 2nd string QB for the regular season's final two games. He was injured in a weight room accident just before the Las Vegas Bowl and has only returned to action in the last two weeks. He played in ten games as a true freshman and is the only player in UH's history to throw a touchdown pass, catch a pass for a touchdown and return a kickoff for a touchdown in the same game. Not bad for a kid a few months removed from high school. He would have been an incredible get for the Frogs and would have contributed last year when we could have used him, especially when Turp was down.

jack the frog

I think this situation is just all dependent on how up-front you are with the kid.

For instance, I believe we told Kolby Listenbee that we did not think he would be a quarterback, but that we would let him try. He quickly learned once he saw himself relative to the competition.

I got the impression that Herman told king that he could be a quarterback for UH, even though he didn’t believe it, while Patterson told him that he did not think he could be and we want him as a receiver. Herman just lied to get what he wanted and Patterson shot him straight.

It’s definitely a gray area, but I think there’s a right way and a wrong way.

Yep and with the liberalized transfer rules maybe it is pointless to go all in Herman with the big lie anymore.

Last edited:

Planks

Hindsight is 20/20. Every coach in American has some prospect they didn’t offer (or didn’t offer the right position to) that goes on to be a stud.

With that being said, not offering D’eriq King as a QB is probably the most impactful recruiting miss of the past decade for TCU. Maybe of GP’s entire career. Insult to injury was that we offered Brennan Wooten as a QB that same recruiting class. Offering Zach Allen over Baker Mayfield was the second biggest miss. Mayfield was great, but his time in college overlapped with the Boykin/Hill years so that miss wasn’t as impactful.

Think about how the few years look like if coaches had offered D’eriq King as QB. 2016 he redshirts. 2017 King is the back up to Hill, but we could have used him as a change of pace QB as well. Maybe that’s the difference in a game like the 2017 Iowa State game where our offense was completely stalled the entire game. King is then the starter 2018-2020. Duggan takes takes over in 2021.

I think there are a lot of losses in 2018 and 2019 that are probably wins if King is under center. Maybe, maybe not. The point is, I can’t think of another recruiting miss that would have made as much of an impact. I think the 2018 and 2019 seasons would just look so different.

Last edited:

Bruce Berry

Hindsight is 20/20. Every coach in American has some prospect they didn’t offer (or don’t offer the right position to) that goes on to be a stud.

With that being said, not offering D’eriq King as a QB is probably the most impactful recruiting miss of the past decade for TCU. Maybe of GP’s entire career. Insult to injury was that we offered Brennan Wooten as a QB that same recruiting class. Offering Zach Allen over Baker Mayfield was the second biggest miss. Mayfield was great, but his time in college overlapped with the Boykin/Hill years so that miss wasn’t as impactful.

Think about how the few couple year look like if coaches had offered D’eriq King as QB. 2016 he redshirts. 2017 King is the back up to Hill, but we could have used him as a change of pace QB as well. Maybe that’s the difference in a game like the 2017 Iowa State game where our offense was completely stalled the entire game. King is then the starter 2018-2020. Duggan takes takes over in 2021.

I think there are a lot of losses in 2018 and 2019 that are probably wins if King is under center. Maybe, maybe not. The point is, I can’t think of another recruiting miss that would have made as much of an impact. I think the 2018 and 2019 seasons would just look so different.

Bruce Berry

Not the only issue, but ultimately the Shawn Robinson decision set the program back dramatically.

I wonder if Gary feels building the program up from nowhere or turning this ongoing three year [ Finebaum ] show around was/is a tougher challenge?