• The KillerFrogs

Anyone remember D'Eriq King?

W

Way of the Frog

Prospect from Manvel who committed to Frogs and was going to a a slot receiver, but flipped to UH and Herman because he was promised a chance to play quarterback.

Played a bit last year when Ward was hurt and could not play and is still listed as a quarterback on their roster, but 5 catches today against Temple and 10 catches for the season. Funny how some coaches can lie and lie to kids and yet none of it sticks to them.

texasrobster1997

Prospect from Manvel who committed to Frogs and was going to a a slot receiver, but flipped to UH and Herman because he was promised a chance to play quarterback.

Played a bit last year when Ward was hurt and could not play and is still listed as a quarterback on their roster, but 5 catches today against Temple and 10 catches for the season. Funny how some coaches can lie and lie to kids and yet none of it sticks to them.
To be fair he has played QB. Our coaches were just straight forward in telling him he wouldn't be a QB at TCU. I don't blame UH coaches.

W

Way of the Frog

To be fair he threw 3 passes while playing quarterback in 2016 and basically was the tailback in the wildcat formation. He did however catch 29 balls at WR and basically is a WR again this year for UH.

This is the same staff that told Ed Oliver they would be will him his entire time at UH to help make them another Miami while Herman was working back channel Texas alums in Houston.

HeidelFrog

Tom Herman probably learned this from Urban Meyer while at Ohio State. If Meyer really wants a WR/DB that wants to play QB, then he will promise them a chance at QB. It has worked out really well for him. He lets the kid compete at QB, the kid realizes on his own that he needs to switch positions to get on the field. The kid asks to switch and he becomes a good WR/DB for the program.

Westsider

Tom Herman probably learned this from Urban Meyer while at Ohio State. If Meyer really wants a WR/DB that wants to play QB, then he will promise them a chance at QB. It has worked out really well for him. He lets the kid compete at QB, the kid realizes on his own that he needs to switch positions to get on the field. The kid asks to switch and he becomes a good WR/DB for the program.

What's wrong with this?

MTfrog5

I think there is a difference in telling a kid he can compete at QB and be up front with him that they feel like his best position is somewhere else. Instead they recruit them as saying they see them as a big time D1 QB and fit really well with what they want to do on offense

Moose Stuff

To be fair he threw 3 passes while playing quarterback in 2016 and basically was the tailback in the wildcat formation. He did however catch 29 balls at WR and basically is a WR again this year for UH.

This is the same staff that told Ed Oliver they would be will him his entire time at UH to help make them another Miami while Herman was working back channel Texas alums in Houston.

That's on Ed for spending any amount of time with Herman and not realizing he was lying his ass off.

Ron Swanson

I think this situation is just all dependent on how up-front you are with the kid.

For instance, I believe we told Kolby Listenbee that we did not think he would be a quarterback, but that we would let him try. He quickly learned once he saw himself relative to the competition.

I got the impression that Herman told king that he could be a quarterback for UH, even though he didn’t believe it, while Patterson told him that he did not think he could be and we want him as a receiver. Herman just lied to get what he wanted and Patterson shot him straight.

It’s definitely a gray area, but I think there’s a right way and a wrong way.

W

Way of the Frog

I don't believe for one second that Ed would have gone to UH if Herman wasn't their coach.

Partly true. Ed Oliver went to UH because of one man, Corby Meekins. Meekins was the long time HC at Spring Westfield and is basically the guy who helped convince Oliver and most of the better Houston kids that UH signed that if they would buy into UH they could make UH another Miami with Tom Herman as their HC. Meekins was hired at UH by Tom Herman.

Best part is that Keondre Coburn is now going to basically follow Meekins to UT in a large part to the HC at Spring Westfield being Meekins brother Matt.

Moose Stuff

I think this situation is just all dependent on how up-front you are with the kid.

For instance, I believe we told Kolby Listenbee that we did not think he would be a quarterback, but that we would let him try. He quickly learned once he saw himself relative to the competition.

I got the impression that Herman told king that he could be a quarterback for UH, even though he didn’t believe it, while Patterson told him that he did not think he could be and we want him as a receiver. Herman just lied to get what he wanted and Patterson shot him straight.

King likely is just one of many recruits who have headed elsewhere over the years because Gary told them the truth.

MTfrog5

Jerry Hughes is another great example. Someone will correct me but I always heard they were honest with him about being a DE but allowed him to try RB. His first day his locker had 98 in it and was allowed to try RB for a couple weeks before switching to DE