• The KillerFrogs

Another week, another victim. ESPN Outside the Lines: Baylor didn't investigate sex assault claim a

TCUdirtbag

GeorgeLanescaddy said:
My definition of a thug are people that perform violent acts, the keyword is violent acts. In my "thug" category I include the original American thugs who are Italian, Jewish, and Irish mobsters. Now we have Middle Eastern and Asian thugs, as well as, Black, White, and Hispanic thugs. They all partake in illegal and violent behavior. Therefore thugs don't only apply to young black men that perform violent acts. There is an annoying fabricated assumption that any white person using the word "thug" is a bigot and racist. If someone wants to believe that a white person using the word "thug" equates to a shadow racist be my guest but to normal people you sound insane.

Your definition of "thug" could be a tomato for all I care, but no one cares about anyone's personal definition of anything.  The popular understanding of many word's meanings change from decade to decade.  There are plenty of examples of this.  In today's American culture, "thug" is more often than not used to negatively describe young black men (with no regard to their actual actions).  I don't care if people want to be crude or offensive or make a point or whatever.  You do you.  But functioning members of American society should reasonably understand that the modern meaning of "thug" (particularly in context of a topic discussion involving black college football players like Tevin Elliott, Sam Ukwuachu and Shawn Oakman) is unquestionably racially charged language.  So referring to "thug athletes" is poor form and charged with racial meaning. 

I'm sure the anti-PC police (who are just as awful as the miserable PC police) will want to come out of the woodwork for this comment.  I can't stand the PC rants or the anti-PC rants.  We can all be reasonable and live in the real world.  Say what you want among like-minded friends and in your home or whatever.  But let's avoid calling black athletes "thugs" on public pro-TCU sports forums.  And let's certainly not pretend like we don't know what words mean in 2016.  

TCUdirtbag

ifrog said:
https://twitter.com/scatx/status/720359082050199553

For those that don't know, this is the journalist that wrote the "Silence at Baylor" expose for Texas Monthly last fall and blew the whole story open.  

Moose Stuff

TCUdirtbag said:

Your definition of "thug" could be a tomato for all I care, but no one cares about anyone's personal definition of anything.  The popular understanding of many word's meanings change from decade to decade.  There are plenty of examples of this.  In today's American culture, "thug" is more often than not used to negatively describe young black men (with no regard to their actual actions).  I don't care if people want to be crude or offensive or make a point or whatever.  You do you.  But functioning members of American society should reasonably understand that the modern meaning of "thug" (particularly in context of a topic discussion involving black college football players like Tevin Elliott, Sam Ukwuachu and Shawn Oakman) is unquestionably racially charged language.  So referring to "thug athletes" is poor form and charged with racial meaning. 

I'm sure the anti-PC police (who are just as awful as the miserable PC police) will want to come out of the woodwork for this comment.  I can't stand the PC rants or the anti-PC rants.  We can all be reasonable and live in the real world.  Say what you want among like-minded friends and in your home or whatever.  But let's avoid calling black athletes "thugs" on public pro-TCU sports forums.  And let's certainly not pretend like we don't know what words mean in 2016.  
I'll call a rapist whatever the hell I want to.

tcudoc

...Let's avoid calling black athletes "thugs"...
So, is it okay to call white and Hispanic athletes thugs?

Dictionary.com says:
Noun; a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murder.

They seem like they are thugs.

Armadillo

Thug ≠ Racist.

This whole discussion, however, is now RACIST, IMO.   :ph34r:  :biggrin:  :tongue: 

Luv ya DirtBag.  But Thug ≠ racist for most of us.  I don't think HToady was using coded language to be a racist.  I know there are those out there that feel that is a racist word, but for most of us, it is simply used to describe a ruffian, hooligan, vandal, criminal or violent person.  

You'll never agree with me DB.  But I still love and respect your opinion when it comes to TCU athletics.

And thank GOD we are not Baylor and run our athletics program with integrity.

JogginFrog

Tumbleweed said:
Appears Starr's office has told the Pepper Hamilton agency to stall, stall, stall.

I think this latest round will result in just the opposite -- Starr's office telling Pepper Hamilton to rush the report out.

And they probably will now, because my guess is that PH probably long ago completed the review of Baylor's activity and have been spending recent weeks compiling a detailed comparison of Baylor's record of assault response with that of other universities in order to show that Baylor is just like every other school and all the recent attention is patently unfair.

Ron Swanson

TCUdirtbag said:

Are we not allowed to call them thugs if they're convicted rapists?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Rape U. retaining P.H. was shrewd on a number of levels. Makes me wonder what business they do with various Media companies...

GlendarrochFrog

Armadillo said:
Thug ≠ Racist.

This whole discussion, however, is now RACIST, IMO.   :ph34r:  :biggrin:  :tongue: 

Luv ya DirtBag.  But Thug ≠ racist for most of us.  I don't think HToady was using coded language to be a racist.  I know there are those out there that feel that is a racist word, but for most of us, it is simply used to describe a ruffian, hooligan, vandal, criminal or violent person.  

You'll never agree with me.  But I still love you opinion when it comes to TCU athletics.

And thank GOD we are not Baylor and run our athletics program with integrity.
I agree with all of this, including the love Dirtbag stuff. There may be some people who use thug as a racial term, but the majority of people use thug as a criminal regardless of their skin color. Making the word "thug" a racial issue is completely misguided in my opinion.

We're not against rap, we're not against rappers, but we are against those thugs.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
JogginFrog said:

I think this latest round will result in just the opposite -- Starr's office telling Pepper Hamilton to rush the report out.

And they probably will now, because my guess is that PH probably long ago completed the review of Baylor's activity and have been spending recent weeks compiling a detailed comparison of Baylor's record of assault response with that of other universities in order to show that Baylor is just like every other school and all the recent attention is patently unfair.

Is an NBA Finals game 7 or the Spurs - Warriors Game 7 a big enough event such that Baylor can release a fraction of the report that day?  Or will they wait for election day?  Whatever PH releases, it will be short on Baylor facts and long on other schools' problems.  It will be another total whitewash / non-event.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
texas_sicilian said:
Anyone else see the irony of Briles' quote not too long ago (in a poor attempt at humility) that his team "is just a bunch of junkyard dogs".

If by that he meant untamed and undisciplined, I guess he was somewhat right.
Maybe they should have been neutered.

HToady

TCUdirtbag said:

But functioning members of American society should reasonably understand that the modern meaning of "thug" (particularly in context of a topic discussion involving black college football players like Tevin Elliott, Sam Ukwuachu and Shawn Oakman) is unquestionably racially charged language.  So referring to "thug athletes" is poor form and charged with racial meaning. 

You need to go back and read my comments. My observation was about the combination of sheltered kids and "thug" athletes. Commenting strictly on Briles' policy of taking athletes with questionable past. You added the racial PC comments.