• The KillerFrogs

Anderson

Pharm Frog

Our offensive line sucks pretty bad

That is 90% of our problems on offense this season.

I agree. I was also surprised at how bad our WRs play as well. I knew they weren’t good blockers but they run some lackadaisical routes with inexplicable depths.

But to the OL point...why don’t we try something new or at least different? Maybe vary splits or tackle over or just something different because it’s obvious that we don’t have the talent to do what we are doing effectively

CountryFrog

I agree. I was also surprised at how bad our WRs play as well. I knew they weren’t good blockers but they run some lackadaisical routes with inexplicable depths.

But to the OL point...why don’t we try something new or at least different? Maybe vary splits or tackle over or just something different because it’s obvious that we don’t have the talent to do what we are doing effectively
The new thing we should try is blocking people.

Pharm Frog

The new thing we should try is blocking people.

We’ve been trying and failing. I say see if we can tire them out having them run around us instead of them running right through us. Just do something differently....slide the line, cut block, fall down and make them jump over us, anything but what we’re doing

CountryFrog

We’ve been trying and failing. I say see if we can tire them out having them run around us instead of them running right through us. Just do something differently....slide the line, cut block, fall down and make them jump over us, anything but what we’re doing
I get it. I just don't think there's any solution to this particular problem except playing better.

Where the new stuff might need to happen is in the off-season with the way certain things are taught, workouts, etc. I think it's too tough to change much of anything in season (other than minor little tweaks in blocking schemes), especially this late. Just gotta pray for better execution and maybe some opposing defenders making mistakes.

I think Thomsen probably needs replaced in the offseason. His unit is a disaster and gets worse every week. They routinely leave guys unblocked, even in four man rushes.
I think he is dealing with a severe talent deficit right now in the interior based on what he inherited but I understand where you're coming from. It is very perplexing to see how often one of our offensive linemen, at the point of attack, seems to do something other than block the player in front of him and that is the guy who stuffs the play. One would think that someone was supposed to block the players in and around the area where they are running the ball but time and time again, neither the player immediately in that area nor anyone pulling from another does. Whether the OL coach is determining the blocking scheme or the OC I don't know but it sure looks like a mess.

Horny4TCU

We averaged 2.2 ypc. How much more do you think we should've run the ball?
As a team 2.2, but Anderson was averaging 3.7 on 13 carries. I don't know, but give the guy the ball who is getting yards.

But don't get me wrong, we WON!!! I'm happy. Hind site is 20/20, but maybe it wouldn't have been so close if we would have ran on a few more plays. However, I will concur with the other posters, our OL is that bad, and maybe we did the right play calls... again, just happy we won.

Wexahu

I think Thomsen probably needs replaced in the offseason. His unit is a disaster and gets worse every week. They routinely leave guys unblocked, even in four man rushes.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen interior lineman just flat out whiff (or leave guys unblocked I should say) as often as ours have this year. That speaks as much to the coaching and scheme as much as anything IMO.

FrogCop19

e31.jpg

flyfishingfrog

You guys have already said it but it does amaze me that our OL will literally ole’ a guy and let him go straight into the backfield because their assignment was someone else and they are trying to get around the defender that is blowing past them

I understand pulling and slants and screens but 9/10 times when you watch one of OL let a guy go for whatever reason, that guy blows up the play - so who cares that you got to the outside to block the end - the LB you didn’t touch stuffed the RB for a loss behind you

At least touch the guy, push him, yell at him - something other than hold the door open and let him through