MCFROG III

Former Rattler shares wisdom in successful self help book
By Phillip Rivers

Staff Writer/Sidelines

|
Published: Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Updated: Thursday, April 29, 2010

Slam Sports
B.C. Lions quarterback Casey Printers winds up to throw the ball during first half CFL football action versus the Saskatchewan Roughriders at Mosaic Stadium in Regina, Sask., Saturday, October 24, 2009. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Geoff Howe
When Casey Printers left Texas Christian University in 2001, he seemed to be venturing away from an ideal situation.
Printers received a scholarship to play quarterback for TCU in 1999 after being named a second-team blue chip All-American upon graduating from high school. That same year, he led the Horned Frogs to a Mobile Alabama Bowl victory and was named Most Valuable Player of that game.
His NFL career looked promising as he guided his team, which also featured current Pro Bowl running back LaDainian Tomlinson, to three straight bowl appearances.
Prior to his senior season, Printers decided to transfer to Florida A&M.
“I was under the impression that if you were good, the NFL would find you anywhere,” Printers said.
With so much of the offensive focus on Tomlinson, a Heisman Trophy candidate, there was a need to prove that he had the passing ability to be successful at the next level, he said.
“After I left TCU, I needed to show the NFL that I was a passing quarterback. At the time, [FAMU] had the supreme passing program and I would’ve been able to fit right in.”
After a successful, but not spectacular season at Florida A&M, Printers went from being a third-team Freshman All-American to being an undrafted player looking to find a home on an NFL team.

He found success in the Canadian Football League and was named CFL’s Most Outstanding Player in 2004.

In 2006, Printers finally got the opportunity that he coveted, signing a three-year deal with the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs. That opportunity, however, proved to be short-lived when the Chiefs released him the following year.

“When I played for the Kansas City Chiefs, there was guy who, after they released me, told me my pedigree wasn’t good enough; and by pedigree, I mean where you come from,” he said. “I was under the impression all the way up until that moment that your pedigree didn’t matter.”

“Everything that I thought was the truth about college and professional sports were false.”
Propelled by the numerous disappointments Printers had previously experienced that culminated in that one conversation, he began conducting research on the trends of the drafts in professional sports.

ricksterh

I think he came to a lot of the wrong conclusions in what he says in this article. If you look at each draft they come up with guys from small or not as well known schools who both get drafted high and then go on to good careers in the NFL. I think a lot of it is that a player fits well with a pro team and is the right guy at the right time in the right place.

Casey was an excellent athlete but as I remember his mechanics were not good which doesn't rule you out but is a negative factor.

Back in the day when he played at TCU his mom was a regular poster on here. :biggrin:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
QUOTE(ricksterh @ Apr 29 2010, 04:20 PM) [snapback]552809[/snapback]
I think he came to a lot of the wrong conclusions in what he says in this article. If you look at each draft they come up with guys from small or not as well known schools who both get drafted high and then go on to good careers in the NFL. I think a lot of it is that a player fits well with a pro team and is the right guy at the right time in the right place.

Casey was an excellent athlete but as I remember his mechanics were not good which doesn't rule you out but is a negative factor.

Back in the day when he played at TCU his mom was a regular poster on here. :biggrin:

Agreed. I appreciate the good that CP did here, but look at people like Kurt Warner, Joe Flacco, Dante Culpepper, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bruce Gradkowski, Ben (The Eternal D-bag) Roethlisberger, Tyler Thigpen, Tony Romo, John Kitna, Jake Delhomme, Charlie Frye, etc. All those guys came from less than "pedigreed" institutions, and they all have started games in the NFL at some point recently. Not all of them may be long-term starters, but Flacco, Culpepper, Ben R, Romo, Kitna and Delhomme have all had extended stretches leading teams.

gonzy

QUOTE(MCFROG III @ Apr 29 2010, 03:54 PM) [snapback]552777[/snapback]
Former Rattler shares wisdom in successful self help book
By Phillip Rivers

Staff Writer/Sidelines

|
Published: Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Updated: Thursday, April 29, 2010

Slam Sports
B.C. Lions quarterback Casey Printers winds up to throw the ball during first half CFL football action versus the Saskatchewan Roughriders at Mosaic Stadium in Regina, Sask., Saturday, October 24, 2009. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Geoff Howe
When Casey Printers left Texas Christian University in 2001, he seemed to be venturing away from an ideal situation.
Printers received a scholarship to play quarterback for TCU in 1999 after being named a second-team blue chip All-American upon graduating from high school. That same year, he led the Horned Frogs to a Mobile Alabama Bowl victory and was named Most Valuable Player of that game.
His NFL career looked promising as he guided his team, which also featured current Pro Bowl running back LaDainian Tomlinson, to three straight bowl appearances.
Prior to his senior season, Printers decided to transfer to Florida A&M.
"I was under the impression that if you were good, the NFL would find you anywhere," Printers said.
With so much of the offensive focus on Tomlinson, a Heisman Trophy candidate, there was a need to prove that he had the passing ability to be successful at the next level, he said.
"After I left TCU, I needed to show the NFL that I was a passing quarterback. At the time, [FAMU] had the supreme passing program and I would've been able to fit right in."
After a successful, but not spectacular season at Florida A&M, Printers went from being a third-team Freshman All-American to being an undrafted player looking to find a home on an NFL team.

He found success in the Canadian Football League and was named CFL's Most Outstanding Player in 2004.

In 2006, Printers finally got the opportunity that he coveted, signing a three-year deal with the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs. That opportunity, however, proved to be short-lived when the Chiefs released him the following year.

"When I played for the Kansas City Chiefs, there was guy who, after they released me, told me my pedigree wasn't good enough; and by pedigree, I mean where you come from," he said. "I was under the impression all the way up until that moment that your pedigree didn't matter."

"Everything that I thought was the truth about college and professional sports were false."
Propelled by the numerous disappointments Printers had previously experienced that culminated in that one conversation, he began conducting research on the trends of the drafts in professional sports.

DUM IS AS DUM DOE'S! NUFF SAID.