• The KillerFrogs

Am I The Only One To Know or The Last One To Know….

NewFrogFan

insulting donald trump GIF by Mashable
Sorry, not sorry, never will be……ever, forever.

LoudFrog

Methinks the previous year dictated what went on in the that year. Patterson was brilliant, incisive, and literally everybody else in the room visibly hung on his every word. He commanded the respect of every other participant to the degree that is was almost funny.

I imagine the next time round, the ESPN producers wanted to liven things up a bit. Create some "controversy" in the room (what imbeciles like them consider "good television") by telling the other participants to speak up and talk more. IIRC, if it had just been Holgo and Patterson breaking down the game, it would have been one of the better 4 hours in TV, but, alas...
BrewingFrog, Patterson is why TCU is fantastic. Patterson is also the reason why we have tanked the last four years. His personality in the locker room with his coaches and his players was toxic. This is not a guess, people disliked the locker room. All he did was Yell, He had the respect of nobody. The entire staff and players walked around with their heads down hoping he would not be around. He is a fantastic coach but did not change.

westoverhillbilly

His personality in the locker room with his coaches and his players was toxic. This is not a guess, people disliked the locker room. All he did was Yell, He had the respect of nobody. The entire staff and players walked around with their heads down hoping he would not be around. He is a fantastic coach but did not change.

I sort of get this as I wore out at the end of my 30 year career of ownership of a company, where I held my tongue when people tried to take advantage of me until finally giving them a strong piece of my mind over the last couple years. Maybe Gary just had had it over others not living up to his high expectations and it cycled out of control. One of the few things I've agreed with Big Steaming Pile on was when he wrote that it was time for TCU and Gary to have a break from each other.

froginaustin

Did his personality change or did it eventually just wear out its welcome. I could imagine people hated it all along but in MWC etc we won enough to overcome it but once we got to Big 12 it couldnt hold up.

I would guess that Gary-after-a-loss is a hell of a lot less pleasant to be around than Gary-after-a-win. Unfortunately, in the last few years that would have been a lot of unpleasant Gary.

Eight

Did his personality change or did it eventually just wear out its welcome. I could imagine people hated it all along but in MWC etc we won enough to overcome it but once we got to Big 12 it couldnt hold up.

remember there were a number of staff changes between the mwc days and the last four years

when those barriers so to speak are no longer there the waves can get pretty unrelenting

FrogCop19

Like others have said, he's always been this way. But there have always been two mitigating factors:
1. You see less of the bad side when you win, and that has been few and far between recently, and
2. When you're winning, it's "He's quirky and that's just HCGMFP!" but when you're losing its "What an [ Arschloch]."

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
BrewingFrog, Patterson is why TCU is fantastic. Patterson is also the reason why we have tanked the last four years. His personality in the locker room with his coaches and his players was toxic. This is not a guess, people disliked the locker room. All he did was Yell, He had the respect of nobody. The entire staff and players walked around with their heads down hoping he would not be around. He is a fantastic coach but did not change.
One of my favorite quips has always been, "Those people who think they know everything really piss off those of us who do!" When you're convinced that you're the Smartest Guy In The Room in every room you walk into, the act wears thin after a while. Patterson got away with a lot because 1.) He won a lot, and 2.) Often he was thought the Smartest Guy In The Room. When events caught up with him, and the wins began to bleed away, so did his aura of Smart. When the person yelling at you is respected because of his infallibility, that's one thing. When the guy yelling at you is just yelling for no good reason at all, he has forfeited whatever respect he may have had. And more yelling will never get that respect back.

Above all, a Coach must be a guide and mentor. It is through this guidance that respect is earned. Running a program under the position of "The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!" breeds nothing but contempt.

OICU812

Most all coaches will wear out their welcome eventually. As good as JJ was with the Cowboys, the last year or two you could see his act wearing thin on some guys- Aikman in particular would actually roll his eyes in response to JJ’s shtick.

The only antidote for that is to continually reinvent yourself. That’s what’s made Saban’s run at Bama so impressive. He’s done it by constantly bringing on new assistants with fresh perspectives. And it doesn’t hurt that he makes an effort to relate to his players on their level (“deez nuts”)

Gary did it once by bringing in Meachbie, with amazing results. His failure to keep doing it is a large part of what brought him down.

FrogBall09

S
Most all coaches will wear out their welcome eventually. As good as JJ was with the Cowboys, the last year or two you could see his act wearing thin on some guys- Aikman in particular would actually roll his eyes in response to JJ’s shtick.

The only antidote for that is to continually reinvent yourself. That’s what’s made Saban’s run at Bama so impressive. He’s done it by constantly bringing on new assistants with fresh perspectives. And it doesn’t hurt that he makes an effort to relate to his players on their level (“deez nuts”)

Gary did it once by bringing in Meachbie, with amazing results. His failure to keep doing it is a large part of what brought him down.
Saban is a total ass also - and does not relate to his players well either- but he is winning so everyone deals with it since he is so dominant

The constant churn of assistants helps insulate Saban because no one else is there long enough to become tiresome - a big mistake GP made

My older brother played at Bama and he along with his teammates that hang together all laugh at what Saban gets away with that other coaches get roasted for