• The KillerFrogs

Also, who is the color guy on TCU baseball radio?

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(Frog45 @ May 17 2010, 02:04 PM) [snapback]560786[/snapback]
I got the opportunity as a non-RTVF major to take Chuck's sports broadcasting class my senior year. It allowed me the opportunity to help him call four games that year. When you've never done it, it's hard. Baseball has so much down time, you don't have a good gauge when and when not to talk.

Without a doubt it has to be the hardest sport to call.....

SnoSki

QUOTE(swimmerbabe11 @ May 17 2010, 03:14 PM) [snapback]560825[/snapback]
I think it would be a lot of fun! Difficult yes, last year's kid was better..I think it was Phil Mann?

Phil (Mann), Jon (Wulf) and Chris (Blake) all do it...and do it well, IMO. Not sure who the OP heard the other night, but I doubt it was one of these guys. They're getting better every time.

desmith03

QUOTE(FrogByBirth @ May 17 2010, 12:34 AM) [snapback]560517[/snapback]
My apologies.
I'm not meaning to belittle the guy and I understand the b-casting RTVF scenario.....
but man, if in fact it is a SPORTS b-casting emphasis, maybe they should find someone that knows something about ....uh...ehhh - SPORTS.

If he wants to get into sports bcasting..... he needs to know SOMETHING of what he is talking about....

"That'll move the chains!"

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ May 17 2010, 02:27 PM) [snapback]560797[/snapback]
Without a doubt it has to be the hardest sport to call.....

I have broadcast live football, volleyball, girls and boys basketball, softball and baseball, and baseball BY FAR was the easiest. It is amazing how having that much time gives you plenty of time to rehash plays, give background details, tell relevant stories and add statistics. I loved calling baseball.
FOAP, I don't know why you said that, but volleyball is without a doubt the hardest sport to broadcast.

Trelvis

That is the first time in my life I have ever heard someone say they broadcast volleyball...

And if you talk to professionals, most of they will tell you that they think baseball is the hardest to call, I dont know if any of them had done any volleyball work in the past though.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Trelvis @ May 17 2010, 05:07 PM) [snapback]560878[/snapback]
That is the first time in my life I have ever heard someone say they broadcast volleyball...

And if you talk to professionals, most of they will tell you that they think baseball is the hardest to call, I dont know if any of them had done any volleyball work in the past though.

Uh, how about talking to someone like myself who actually called high school and a little college for 7 years?
The only way baseball is hard to call is if you are unprepared or know very little about the sport.
But yes, volleyball is extremely hard to call if you care about doing it right

Trelvis

QUOTE(2314 @ May 17 2010, 10:14 PM) [snapback]560879[/snapback]
Uh, how about talking to someone like myself who actually called high school and a little college for 7 years?

My bad, you are totally right...I will just disregard the stuff they teach at TCU and what people who actually make a living calling games have said.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Trelvis @ May 17 2010, 05:17 PM) [snapback]560881[/snapback]
My bad, you are totally right...I will just disregard the stuff they teach at TCU and what people who actually make a living calling games have said.

Just sayin' I speak from experience. I have NEVER heard baseball is hard. It can only be hard if you are unprepared. And BTW, I DID make a LIVING doing that. And would love to do so again. Also, having heard Chuck, he should listen to his tapes. There are times when he will "describe" a play with very little description. I counted seven pitches one time where he never let the listeners know the pitch had been delivered. Crap like that happens when you know no one can take your job. He is getting too complacent and I wish he would focus for an entire game. Most everyone will get on my case about this post because Chuck is extremely TCU baseball knowledgeable and is a trusted voice. But I about fell out of my chair when I learned that he teaches broadcasting. His play by play needs to get better. Of course, that will hack a lot of you off, but I am speaking technically and don't care how long he has been there. Sometimes that can be a problem.
Go ahead board, fire away. I understand. I also understand that most of you don't understand.

Trelvis

QUOTE(2314 @ May 17 2010, 10:34 PM) [snapback]560887[/snapback]
Just sayin' I speak from experience. I have NEVER heard baseball is hard. It can only be hard if you are unprepared. And BTW, I DID make a LIVING doing that. And would love to do so again.

Im not going to comment on your Chuck rant because I dont listen to TCU baseball on the radio so I am in no position to comment. I did take Chuck's class when I was at TCU and I remember him saying that most people thought baseball was the toughest sport to call and football/basketball are much easier, with hockey being difficult because of how fast the puck moves around.

All I am saying is, I personally know and have talked to some of the best play by play guys in this state and alot of them have said or made comments that baseball is tough to call because of the speed of the game, and all the extra time you have to fill. I'm not a play by play guy though so I am just stating what I heard.

tcudoc

QUOTE(2314 @ May 17 2010, 05:14 PM) [snapback]560879[/snapback]
volleyball is extremely hard to call if you care about doing it right

Are you implying that there are some volleyball play by play announcers who don't care about doing it right?

QUOTE(2314 @ May 17 2010, 05:34 PM) [snapback]560887[/snapback]
Just sayin' I speak from experience. I have NEVER heard baseball is hard. It can only be hard if you are unprepared. And BTW, I DID make a LIVING doing that.

I have ALWAYS heard this. I heard Dick Enberg say something once that it has something to do with the slow evolution of story being created before you. I think the point made by others is because of the down time. It's not as easy as it seems to keep the flow going. I think the hardest to actually do a play-by-play call would be hockey. Mike Emrick is definately the best at his job and one of the top 5 PBP guys I've ever heard.

And would love to do so again. Also, having heard Chuck, he should listen to his tapes. There are times when he will "describe" a play with very little description. I counted seven pitches one time where he never let the listeners know the pitch had been delivered. Crap like that happens when you know no one can take your job. He is getting too complacent and I wish he would focus for an entire game. Most everyone will get on my case about this post because Chuck is extremely TCU baseball knowledgeable and is a trusted voice. But I about fell out of my chair when I learned that he teaches broadcasting. His play by play needs to get better. Of course, that will hack a lot of you off, but I am speaking technically and don't care how long he has been there. Sometimes that can be a problem.
Go ahead board, fire away. I understand. I also understand that most of you don't understand.

YOU NAILED IT. I get so @#$#%^ frustrated listening to games on the radio. It may go two innings before I even get the score. My gf hates it too...she'll beg me to turn on some music and I'll tell her "just let me hear the score." Two innings later she cussing up a storm and I still have no clue what the score is.

QUOTE(tcudoc @ May 17 2010, 05:49 PM) [snapback]560892[/snapback]
Are you implying that there are some volleyball play by play announcers who don't care about doing it right?

The Northern Iowa guy cared about doing it right about 5 years ago. He was one of BaD Radio's Homer Call of the Year finalists.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Trelvis @ May 17 2010, 05:45 PM) [snapback]560891[/snapback]
Im not going to comment on your Chuck rant because I dont listen to TCU baseball on the radio so I am in no position to comment. I did take Chuck's class when I was at TCU and I remember him saying that most people thought baseball was the toughest sport to call and football/basketball are much easier, with hockey being difficult because of how fast the puck moves around.

All I am saying is, I personally know and have talked to some of the best play by play guys in this state and alot of them have said or made comments that baseball is tough to call because of the speed of the game, and all the extra time you have to fill. I'm not a play by play guy though so I am just stating what I heard.

You sound like a good student. I actually feel because of all of the down time that you have a chance to say everything you need to say.
I will say this - I was terrified before I did my first game solo. But afterward I was laughing at myself for having so little confidence in myself. What occurred was I had a chance to draw from all this - what I thought was useless - baseball knowledge from playing the sport from age 6 through high school to listening to the great Ranger broadcasters through the years.
Hard? Not for me, but I guess some would think so. But to be honest I thought it would be harder than it was.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(tcudoc @ May 17 2010, 05:49 PM) [snapback]560892[/snapback]

You would be surprised.
But very few stations (and none in the Metroplex) call volleyball on the radio. I knew one guy who hated it, but did it because it brought in a lot of advertisers. You could tell in his broadcasts that he didn't care.

Trelvis

I hate to bump an old thread but Brad Sham the voice of the Cowboys who also called FC Dallas and other sports was on ESPN Radio and just said he thought baseball was the hardest sport to call although he said he had never done hockey. No mention of volleyball.