• The KillerFrogs

All SMU had was basketball. And Jamie took it.

Deep Purple

yep and it will again.

I still say the NIT home game against Nebraska was the loudest sporting event I have ever attended. My ears ringed for days
I wasn't around during the Killer era. Loudest game I attended at old DMC? Not quite sure of the date, but I think it was Feb 8, 1998. I think that's when Billy Tubbs' Frogs, ranked somwhere around #23, hosted #10 New Mexico, a WAC conference rival. Both were Tourney-bound, but there was a lot of pride and national attention at stake in that game, which was nationally broadcast.

I invited a neighbor who is a UT alum to go to the game with me. When I pulled up to his house to pick him, he came out all decked in purple. The game was SRO, and we were lucky to get seats in the very top row of the arena. That game was epic. The TCU crowd was thundering. I mean ears-ringing deafening. At one point, I touched one of those big steel-beam pillars that hold up the walls and roof, and it was literally buzzing with sonic vibration.

My UT neighbor said he'd never attended a game with a louder home crowd. And this was nearly 20 years ago in a much poorer arena than we have now.

It's not the arena frogxc. It's the crowd. The team and the crowd.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I wasn't around during the Killer era. Loudest game I attended at old DMC? Not quite sure of the date, but I think it was Feb 8, 1998. I think that's when Billy Tubbs' Frogs, ranked somwhere around #23, hosted #10 New Mexico, a WAC conference rival. Both were Tourney-bound, but there was a lot of pride and national attention at stake in that game, which was nationally broadcast.

I invited a neighbor who is a UT alum to go to the game with me. When I pulled up to his house to pick him, he came out all decked in purple. The game was SRO, and we were lucky to get seats in the very top row of the arena. That game was epic. The TCU crowd was thundering. I mean ears-ringing deafening. At one point, I touched one of those big steel-beam pillars that hold up the walls and roof, and it was literally buzzing with sonic vibration.

My UT neighbor said he'd never attended a game with a louder home crowd. And this was nearly 20 years ago in a much poorer arena than we have now.

My friends and I are were also in the top row for that game. Funny you used "thundering" because we called DMC the "Thunderdome" ever since that game.

The storms are quieter now. But gathering.

F0358D3D-AC75-43E7-B878-17B0CCD17E0A.gif

406F5E13-1EFD-4F55-A978-B76FA077D84E.gif

After a $72 million renovation, the updated basketball facilities open a gleaming new front door to TCU Athletics

Jamie Dixon named TCU head basketball coach

TCU dismantles Georgia Tech to capture 2017 NIT championship
The Panthers What the Heck dude never gets old

hiphopfroggy

Everyone knows basketball arena's don't fill up at football schools until football season is over, been this way since the beginning of time in Mesopotamia.

Moose Stuff

Yep. I was there. Only arena I’ve ever been in louder than that was Reunion for Game 6 of the 1987 Mavs/Lakers Conference Finals.

Other than basketball, are SMU's athletic endeavors gradually degenerating into a state of irrelevancy?

One certainty....."The old gray mare ain't what she use to be"

One of the loudest games I remember was the Houston game when Hakeem banked in two FT’s to beat us in ‘83 I think. The walls were shaking and the building was quaking. Good times.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
They claim since ours is round that it is inferior.

Then all one has to do is point out that Wichita State is round and was designed by the same architect as the old Daniel Meyer. Both schools renovated and still kept the round design. That tyically shuts them up till they call us Texas criminal university, ugly brick, fort worthless or some lame academic talk. They have a big inferiority complex.
Complex? Had it never occurred to you that they simly are inferior?

Sebastian S

I have to admit, the small number of SMU fans in that game got loud when they took the lead.

It caught me off guard. They started chanting SMU and we countered with TCU but it was impressive that a small number of people can make that place loud.

Imagine a full stadium of TCU fans as enthusiastic, the Schol can get VERY loud.