• The KillerFrogs

Alex Delton transferring to TCU

Moose Stuff

I completely agree man. This notion that he is this QB guru is mind boggling to me. He stumbled into a first round pick at receiver in 14-15 that masked a TON of deficiencies in this offense. The ability to fall back and heave jump balls at Doctson masked a ton of issues with his offense and play calling. Then Doctson is gone and 16-17 we see god awful to extremely average QB play. Then we see the utter dumpster fire of QB that took place this past year, with the most talented QB to step foot on campus (based on recruiting ranking). Cumbie had 2 full years with a 6'3 230 pound kid with a cannon arm and he puts forward the absolute crap we just spent 5 months witnessing. Crucify me if you want but with the exception of 2 all time TCU talents in 14-15 he has shown no ability to produce an above average quarterback. He showed no ability whatsover last year to tailor an offense around the strengths of a QB, and then we spent all summer saying "we need to have 2 guys ready to go" and in reality we had zero. Cumbie entered the bowl game with a 5th year 4th string QB and decided that slinging it across the yard with this kid was the best course of action.
Cumbie can certainly attract highly rated and talented QB's. There is no debating that. But this notion that he is this QB whisperer that turns water into wine is absolutely ludicrous at this point

Couple things..... 1) Kenny Hill was an above avg QB in 2017. That’s not really debatable 2) Muehlstein threw 20 passes and we ran the ball 59 times vs Cal, so not exactly “slinging it across the yard”.

Last edited:

Froggish

So we disagree then about Boykin. Fine. But let's focus on Tre.Stick with facts.

He was terrible the first two years he played. A lot of that had to with coaching and the preparation he put in. Yes, the change ot the spread/hurry up helped him a lot. But that is coaching, too. His throwing motion was shortened and he learned how to read coverages better under SC.

Do you remember when he played in Stillwater as a frosh and soph? It was as bad as QB play as you can get. Worse than Shawn Robinson this year. And he was not hurt. Or how about the identical red-zone interceptions he threw against ISU and other opponents those two years. That is not learning how to play QB. Can you give me any examples of how he improved when he was a sophomore because I and a lot of other posters here did not see it.

That changed under SC. Period. Boykin was a much-improved player as a junior and was even better as a senior. SC had something to do with that. I am sure Tre would agree with me.He was not poised for a break-out year. We all prayed that Joeckel would win the job and give us steady QB play.

And, if you love TCU like you say, please find and repost a positive comment about a TCU player or coach you have made. And there is a way to reset your password on here. I have done it many times. I am sure the mods can help you out, too.
You answered your own question. It is my belief that a change in system was the main culprit for Boykins sudden success..Is there coaching involved...Yes sir Ofcourse...Does that make Cumbie a QB genius...Nope..and of course you want to focus on Boykin because you unable to explain why he had limited success with Hill and zero success with SR, MC, or Grayson..But let ignore that to focus on the 2 year starter he inherited.

Boykin struggles a ton as a Soph you are absolutely right. He also had one of the worst group of OCs in CFB who were all demoted at season end. In addition he split time early in the year with Casey P and that hurt his development.

I’m happy to repost plenty of positive comments I’ve made over the years. I’ll even try to find the comment I made in 2014 standing behind Boykin when everyone was praying for Joeckel Show..I’ve clearly pushed your buttons and I apologize if my looking at the program with a critical lense irritates you and others

It’s ok to disagree and I can understand why you do. I get your point. Truly do, but I’m not a bad guy because I think Cumbie is average or Delton probably isn’t the answer. I’m just a guy with an opinion and you’ll be hard pressed to find one that is attacking of anyone. I don’t do that nor have I ever.

Just an observation, but for whatever reason, Tech, Okie State and Baylor seem to plug a QB in without much of a hitch. At least a starter. Of course, so does OU, but that’s really not a fair comparison. WVU was hit and miss on QBs with Holgerson.

Froggish

Just an observation, but for whatever reason, Tech, Okie State and Baylor seem to plug a QB in without much of a hitch. At least a starter. Of course, so does OU, but that’s really not a fair comparison. WVU was hit and miss on QBs with Holgerson.
Stop drop and roll....retreat from any notion we may not be good at developing QBs...you will get buried and left for dead around here..

Strat Frog

Watched Delton’s highlight reel on Twitter—the kid is fast, cuts well, and can throw the ball. His transfer to
TCU made our day and gives us a great weapon. He’s like a solid RB who can throw like a QB. Thank you, Lord. Go Frogs!

LawFrog504

Couple things..... 1) Kenny Hill was an above QB in 2017. That’s not really debatable 2) Muehlstein threw 20 passes and we ran the ball 59 times vs Cal, so not exactly “slinging it across the yard”.
Point 1 is incredibly debatable. Regardless, my overall thesis here remains quite accurate.

Moose Stuff

Point 1 is incredibly debatable. Regardless, my overall thesis here remains quite accurate.

It really isn’t, but I’d love to see you try.

I’ll even get you started.....

Threw for 3152 yards and 23 TD (8 int).
Ran for 325 and 5 TD.
Caught 3 passes for 76 yards and 2 TD.
Ran for, caught, and threw a TD in the same game TWICE.
11 wins.
Alamo Bowl offensive MVP.
Davey O’Brien Award semi finalist.

Good luck.

Last edited:

LawFrog504

It really isn’t, but I’d love to see you try.

I’ll even get you started.....

Threw for 3152 yards and 23 TD (8 int).
Ran for 325 and 5 TD.
Caught 3 passes for 76 yards and 2 TD.
Ran for, caught, and threw a TD in the same game TWICE.
11 wins.
Alamo Bowl offensive MVP.
Davey O’Brien Award semi finalist.

Good luck.
Thank God you wished me luck. Take a closer look. 13 of those Passing TD's came against Jackson State, Kansas, and SMU. Tremendous work there. The bigger issue as originally mentioned was that this position in 2017 was not one that we could rely on to win us games if the defense wasn't playing well on a particular day. The fact of the matter is that our team in 2017 was strongest at defense with a QB we could get by with. Padding stats against below average opponents doesn't change that.
If you look at the biggest games: Arkansas- 0 TD 1 Pick. Ok State he was serviceable but had a heinous interception, ISU 48% completion and 2 picks, OU 46% completion and was not able to mount any sort of comeback against a vaunted OU defense.
The point of the matter remains- we were now winning games in 2017, nor did we win 11 games because of Kenny Hill. We won them because of our great defense. Kenny improved from 16 but to an average level. A closer look at stats will show that

Moose Stuff

Thank God you wished me luck. Take a closer look. 13 of those Passing TD's came against Jackson State, Kansas, and SMU. Tremendous work there. The bigger issue as originally mentioned was that this position in 2017 was not one that we could rely on to win us games if the defense wasn't playing well on a particular day. The fact of the matter is that our team in 2017 was strongest at defense with a QB we could get by with. Padding stats against below average opponents doesn't change that.
If you look at the biggest games: Arkansas- 0 TD 1 Pick. Ok State he was serviceable but had a heinous interception, ISU 48% completion and 2 picks, OU 46% completion and was not able to mount any sort of comeback against a vaunted OU defense.
The point of the matter remains- we were now winning games in 2017, nor did we win 11 games because of Kenny Hill. We won them because of our great defense. Kenny improved from 16 but to an average level. A closer look at stats will show that

We disagree. I’m very comfortable with my opinion that Kenny Hill, when compared to other QBs in 2017, was above average. How did our great defense do in those two games against OU? Or when they gave up 463 yards and 36 points to SMU? Or when they gave up 499 yards and 31 points to OSU? Or when Will Grier threw for 366 yards against them and we needed Kenny to score late to win? Or when they gave up 393 yards to 1-11 Baylor? Or when they gave up 37 points to Stanford and we needed Kenny to be lights out in the second half to win? See I can handpick games too. Your turn.