• The KillerFrogs

AIDS Quilt Event Check In

What Up Toad

Those are very true statements. My son will be a high school senior next year. Even though he'd be a fourth generation frog, without something along the lines of a chancellor's scholarship, he will probably end up at UT, UTD, or another safety school.

One of my friends actually ended up at TCU after wanting to go to UT because the scholarships TCU gave him made it cheaper than UT. I believe he got the scholarship below the Chancellor's, and UT didn't give him anything.

My brother went to UTD on a full-ride though. It's about as opposite of TCU as can be. A lot of focus on STEM majors, basically no sports, very diverse, virtually no Greek life, and about 3 times as many students. They also apparently have a well respected sales program. Definitely a good value for the level of education you get.

Ron Swanson

One of my friends actually ended up at TCU after wanting to go to UT because the scholarships TCU gave him made it cheaper than UT. I believe he got the scholarship below the Chancellor's, and UT didn't give him anything.

My brother went to UTD on a full-ride though. It's about as opposite of TCU as can be. A lot of focus on STEM majors, basically no sports, very diverse, virtually no Greek life, and about 3 times as many students. They also apparently have a well respected sales program. Definitely a good value for the level of education you get.
I got offered a full ride to UTD and I hadn’t even applied there (or even heard of it at the time).

After getting offered the scholarship, me and a buddy went and checked it out. It wasn’t for me, but seemed like a solid school.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Those are very true statements. My son will be a high school senior next year. Even though he'd be a fourth generation frog, without something along the lines of a chancellor's scholarship, he will probably end up at UT, UTD, or another safety school.
Don’t sleep on University of North Texas. Just had a kid graduate from there and was extremely impressed. That new student center and gym are at least as nice as anything at TCU.

Mean Purple

I took that route. It was way before tuition prices went through the roof. Got a 4.0 at TCJC and got a half scholarship. Made it extremely affordable as a married commuter who worked 30 hours a week as a fry cook/waiter to pay the bills.
I doubt that is a viable option these days.
Juco/community for first year or two is a wise route. And Texas has gotten better at having guidance and schools talk to each other to make sure classes you take transfer and count. Wasn't always that way.

Mean Purple

Don’t sleep on University of North Texas. Just had a kid graduate from there and was extremely impressed. That new student center and gym are at least as nice as anything at TCU.
they have done some big things in Denton. had some on the admin side misbehave, but they are getting through that. (still some financial aftershock as they try to budget). Good school.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I agree with Westsider...live and let live. But I think TCU, the campus and culture, is very different then it was back in our day. I was there from 1990 to 1994. Some of you are older. Some are younger. I think it's a very different place now.
Different does not necessarily imply better.

I consider such nonsense as "Women and Gender Studies" to be nothing more than divisive scholastic frauds, which have no place at TCU or anywhere else for that matter. You see the bitter fruits of this divisiveness in the lovely girl who featured so prominently just a few days ago. That my Annual Fund donations go towards the funding of such garbage annoys me to no end.

"Live and let live" is a fine philosophy, and one that I have lived by for pretty much the whole of my life. What is disturbing and sad is the impetus of contrasting philosophies to "afflict the comfortable" (That'd be us) by imposition of new social mores and restrictive codes of conduct, speech, and nearly everything else. It has been easy to laugh at these twits for some years, but now they've gone and gotten tenured, and their foul spawn has gone forth and entered public office where they impose their ridiculous diktats with the force of law. Thus, they have used our tolerance and forbearance as weapons against us. The Fabians have always considered this the most potent strategy of all.

tcudoc

Different does not necessarily imply better.

I consider such nonsense as "Women and Gender Studies" to be nothing more than divisive scholastic frauds, which have no place at TCU or anywhere else for that matter. You see the bitter fruits of this divisiveness in the lovely girl who featured so prominently just a few days ago. That my Annual Fund donations go towards the funding of such garbage annoys me to no end.

"Live and let live" is a fine philosophy, and one that I have lived by for pretty much the whole of my life. What is disturbing and sad is the impetus of contrasting philosophies to "afflict the comfortable" (That'd be us) by imposition of new social mores and restrictive codes of conduct, speech, and nearly everything else. It has been easy to laugh at these twits for some years, but now they've gone and gotten tenured, and their foul spawn has gone forth and entered public office where they impose their ridiculous diktats with the force of law. Thus, they have used our tolerance and forbearance as weapons against us. The Fabians have always considered this the most potent strategy of all.
You paint with words. I am frequently sarcastic, but I am sincere in my praise. You have a command of the language that is impressive. It also helps that I almost always agree with what you say.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
All we had in my youth was terrible beer. It was considered revolutionary when Busch became available in Texas, fer crying out loud...

Thank goodness for the homebrewers and the beer renaissance they began!