• The KillerFrogs

AGCS East Side Expansion Update - new website and revised renderings

LeagueCityFrog

Even though they may take a short term haircut, TCU athletics should expand the loge seating area to finish this project out knowing that those seats will sell and this current climate for big ticket donations sucks with the tax environment. Get what you can while you can in this environment and close the deal. Maybe they eat $10 million now, but secure $90 million and move on. Get the remaining $10 million off of the other TCU events that can be held in the space year around or just sell alcohol and food at Fort Worth city events there during the week. I wouldn't let pride get in the way of closing this, that pride being every project is fully funded at TCU before they start. TCU will get their money and then some on this new space. It better look more than baller when all things are done for how expensive they are saying adding a deck and a big screen costs.

Dogfrog

When TCU developed its seating plan for the expansion, the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act had not been passed yet and no one was certain whether it would be. After it passed, literally everyone -- including the IRS -- was still trying to figure out how it would impact everything.

I'd wager that's why TCU wasn't publicizing anything, because there are still so many unknowns, questions even the IRS can't yet answer. TCU is also very careful about not appearing to give specific tax advice to donors, as that is a no-no. "Consult your attorney or tax advisor" is a mantra that is drilled into everyone in Development and the Frog Club.

Didn’t mean to suggest Frog Club is giving tax advice. I have spoken to them and they are being very careful. I speculate that it will be possible to remove the capital donation from the equation and it could be deductible. However as you say only time will tell. My comments were meant to suggest the original presentation is evolving.

TCUdirtbag

I think the actual number of real money is currently sitting around $70 million raised. Good luck Kansas football trying to raise north of $300 million for their new football stadium in this current tax climate.

My understanding is $50 M is what’s signed up and final, there’s about $18-21 M that’s in the “basically committed but still in progress of being finalized then signed up,” and they’re about $9-12 M away from turning dirt.

The project is taking tons of time and attention from as high up as Donati and Patterson all the way down to nearly every athletics development staffer. Keep in mind this project was announced less than 6 months ago and these gifts take a lot of work to get pledged and the paperwork can take a while too. They’re on a tight schedule but they can certainly still make it.

LeagueCityFrog

It is amazing what TCU alums and friends can do for this great school over and over again despite being the second smallest power 5 football program just ahead of Wake Forest. My gut says we are near the end of going to the alumni well for money after this current project. Maybe one more big single donor to baseball and we are good when 2024 arrives.

Brog

It is amazing what TCU alums and friends can do for this great school over and over again despite being the second smallest power 5 football program just ahead of Wake Forest. My gut says we are near the end of going to the alumni well for money after this current project. Maybe one more big single donor to baseball and we are good when 2024 arrives.

Good points. But what is the "one more big single donor to baseball" needed for. Thought we were well equipped there.

Deep Purple

Even though they may take a short term haircut, TCU athletics should expand the loge seating area to finish this project out knowing that those seats will sell and this current climate for big ticket donations sucks with the tax environment. Get what you can while you can in this environment and close the deal. Maybe they eat $10 million now, but secure $90 million and move on. Get the remaining $10 million off of the other TCU events that can be held in the space year around or just sell alcohol and food at Fort Worth city events there during the week. I wouldn't let pride get in the way of closing this, that pride being every project is fully funded at TCU before they start. TCU will get their money and then some on this new space. It better look more than baller when all things are done for how expensive they are saying adding a deck and a big screen costs.
It's got nothing to do with either pride or short-term financial gain. In fact, I'm mildly surprised you would opine multi-million-dollar financial advice on TCU's best course of action based on secondhand, unverified rumors posted on an internet discussion board. Do you really think TCU plots its financial strategy that casually?

I know you don't believe that. You were just making discussion on a discussion board. Fair enough. From everything I hear inside TCU, the funding for the east-side expansion is going extremely well and the work will proceed on schedule. I haven't heard a whisper to the contrary.

Deep Purple

I assume you're talking about alumni support for athletics capital projects, which would make sense. Of course, TCU will continue to go to the alumni for annual athletics program and scholarship support, as well as both general and specific program support for the university as a whole. I strongly suspect that's what you were saying, but since you didn't specify, just thought I would clarify. I hope that's OK with you.

The Colonel

I simply don’t understand how you can justify spending $20k/yr for 6 days of entertainment...That’s a year of tuition at Country Day

flyfishingfrog

I simply don’t understand how you can justify spending $20k/yr for 6 days of entertainment...That’s a year of tuition at Country Day
Well first, that’s about $3-8k too little at FWCD, TVS or All Saints depending on what grade and school

But mostly I think most of you have this mentality that I am only going to donate if I get something back in return equal in value

Those people that choose to participate are most likely looking for a way to support TCU - and this is one where while maybe not equal in value, you get something in return that is special - so it’s a great place to show your support vs just giving a flat out donation to the building fund, etc

You don’t build a $3-4 billion endowment off the backs of people looking for a 1:1 return on their investment- you build it by finding people that want what’s best for TCU and don’t want a lot back in return

The Colonel

Well first, that’s about $3-8k too little at FWCD, TVS or All Saints depending on what grade and school

But mostly I think most of you have this mentality that I am only going to donate if I get something back in return equal in value

Those people that choose to participate are most likely looking for a way to support TCU - and this is one where while maybe not equal in value, you get something in return that is special - so it’s a great place to show your support vs just giving a flat out donation to the building fund, etc

You don’t build a $3-4 billion endowment off the backs of people looking for a 1:1 return on their investment- you build it by finding people that want what’s best for TCU and don’t want a lot back in return

Well on that note, go ahead and fund the rest of the project and don’t look back. Or can you not justify it...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I write a check to TCU every month, can only watch on tv unless I want make 930 mile trek, get nothing in return accept to take pride in my alma mater.

So who exactly do I have to justify anything to, except my wife who is all in.

LeagueCityFrog

It's got nothing to do with either pride or short-term financial gain. In fact, I'm mildly surprised you would opine multi-million-dollar financial advice on TCU's best course of action based on secondhand, unverified rumors posted on an internet discussion board. Do you really think TCU plots its financial strategy that casually?

I know you don't believe that. You were just making discussion on a discussion board. Fair enough. From everything I hear inside TCU, the funding for the east-side expansion is going extremely well and the work will proceed on schedule. I haven't heard a whisper to the contrary.

You and I are running parallel. You made an assumption that I don't know things here when I do. I don't comment that much on here and I don't do rumors. TCU will get this done, but may have to get real in finding all $100 million in such a short time frame, go back to the campus head people who set that ridiculous goal in such a short time, tell them what reality is, and let the project commence even if they are short say $15 to $25 million here in 30 days. What the Frog Club people have done here in such a little amount of time and not coming off another Rose Bowl win is amazing. My point was between June 1st, 2018 and through the first couple of years this facility expansion being used for all sorts of other events that the school will get their "desired" $100 million and they shouldn't blink to start if they "only" have $75 million in hand on May 30th, 2018. My gut says a big TV and a luxury deck doesn't truly cost a nice even $100 million. Some of that money was probably going to a TCU Athletics nest egg to help ease the annual burden of the other non-football sports. Maybe $90 to the true cost of the project and $10 to an Athletics annual fund. This last point is my opinion, and not actual fact, but again I'm sure this project isn't added up to a nice and neat $100 million. Go Frogs!

flyfishingfrog

Well on that note, go ahead and fund the rest of the project and don’t look back. Or can you not justify it...
I did my share - maybe if you ask nicely, I will have an extra ticket...but that is once again not why I did it. I helped how I could because I want TCU to remain at Top 10 overall athletic program in the country despite that we are one of the 5 smallest enrollments and alumni. But there is no way to ever justify it using economics and ROI any way you look at it. However, I donate a lot to charity also and don't do a business case for it either, so I view it basically in the same vein.

LeagueCityFrog

Good points. But what is the "one more big single donor to baseball" needed for. Thought we were well equipped there.

In another thread there was a discussion that a nearly redone TCU baseball stadium could be a TCU athletics revenue producer if they added more luxury options in a new stadium. There was discussion of leaving the last two additions out there, one being the new coaches offices, training rooms, locker, etc and the other building that would stay was the new $7 million dollar batting cage and redoing every else that was left. Basically creating one or two club areas down the 1st and 3rd base sides where you pay a higher price for that club feel at a TCU baseball game and one could buy mixed drinks because it is a club. Make it very similar to the new one at the basketball stadium which is great. That whole thread was BEFORE the baseball 'season of hell' happened this year, praise Jesus for the win last night against Texas Tech. Schloss will get it fixed, but enthusiasm to support a project of that scale, which I thought one marquee donor who loves TCU baseball could make the key lead gift, instead of trying to find 200 people like we've needed to fund the current east side football expansion was my point. I think if we get our baseball mojo back next year with further player development, graduation of some ineffective current seniors, the recruiting class that is coming, and asking some under performing underclassman to bolt, then maybe two years removed from this awful season during there 2020 season, if we are elite again, TCU athletics should start kicking the tires to see if there is interest in making that upgraded baseball stadium project happen. That could be one final project we could get done before the looming 2024 conference decision. The goal of all these things is to make sure everyone out there that may have input if either the Big 12 stays together, which I think it will, or if we have to find a new Power 5 home is that TCU is one of the shiniest trophies for a new conference to covet. It is an arms race, and TCU is competing hard here. A national championship by Coach P this year is another way to end any talks of TCU returning to Group of 5 status. I think Coach P knows he has all the pieces to do it this season and we play 10 of our 12 games in Texas this year with OU, Okie State, and Ohio State all breaking in a new quarterbacks who will be running for their lives from Blacklock, Banago, Summers, and Innis Gaines. I hope we blitz more this year. Go Frogs!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I did my share - maybe if you ask nicely, I will have an extra ticket...but that is once again not why I did it. I helped how I could because I want TCU to remain at Top 10 overall athletic program in the country despite that we are one of the 5 smallest enrollments and alumni. But there is no way to ever justify it using economics and ROI any way you look at it. However, I donate a lot to charity also and don't do a business case for it either, so I view it basically in the same vein.

Let the record show that I’ll ask Very nicely.

I used to attend all home games due to the gracious largesse of my in-laws when their health & knees declined & they “gifted” their tickets to us. Later I was a season ticket buyer (pre Rose Bowl) in the old grey lady ACS. Now I attend maybe 1 game a year thru PM’s to fellow SNFFF posters of a mostly military lineage to privately purchase their un-needed or un-used tickets. As I less than graciously approach filing for social security soon I’ll admit that I’ld like to attend a home game once in the Club or a Suite to experience it. In exchange I’ll offer a lifetime supply of military anecdotes, slightly off color jokes and There-I-Was war stories.

flyfishingfrog

Let the record show that I’ll ask Very nicely.

I used to attend all home games due to the gracious largesse of my in-laws when their health & knees declined & they “gifted” their tickets to us. Later I was a season ticket buyer (pre Rose Bowl) in the old grey lady ACS. Now I attend maybe 1 game a year thru PM’s to fellow SNFFF posters of a mostly military lineage to privately purchase their un-needed or un-used tickets. As I less than graciously approach filing for social security soon I’ll admit that I’ld like to attend a home game once in the Club or a Suite to experience it. In exchange I’ll offer a lifetime supply of military anecdotes, slightly off color jokes and There-I-Was war stories.
Shadow - when my wife figures out the numbers and dates this year for the kids/grandkids - I will PM you dates that have openings - would love to have you out.