• The KillerFrogs

Adventures in Sand Aggie Land

Gringo1873

Does anyone have any recommendations for pre-game activities/tailgating for an 11 AM game in Lubbock? Were headed out on Friday morning. I was there in 2004 and I can't believe it's been 13 years. I will have 2 children with me so we're looking for something family-friendly. Appreciate any advice you have.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I wish I could. When we went two years ago on the bus trip Wes and I had to walk to the basketball arena to pick up our credentials, which was a good 30-40 minute hike from the Football stadium (as you said, sand aggies). In that time as we strolled through the campus we came across many tailgates but we weren’t exactly treated warmly.

Okay board, is anyone getting there early and setting up a tailgate?

Pharm Frog

My advice = leave the children with the grandparents. And I’m not really joking. The stuff I’ve seen and heard in and around Jones Stadium are way beyond common family decency. Other than that...enjoy your time in the enema insertion point of Texas.

Chongo94

Prairie Dog town would be kid friendly as is the science expo thing on the loop.
Just drive down Milwaukee from 4th to 98th, that's where all the new things are from restaurants to shopping centers.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Does anyone have any recommendations for pre-game activities/tailgating for an 11 AM game in Lubbock? Were headed out on Friday morning. I was there in 2004 and I can't believe it's been 13 years. I will have 2 children with me so we're looking for something family-friendly. Appreciate any advice you have.

Dennys

ShadowFrog

Moderators
The band is apparently leaving at 3 AM. I miss most of the TCU experience, but I certainly don't miss those times.

Truth
That was one long honkin’ bus ride, which trust me, if you’re not mutually snoozing on a lovely ShowGirl, seems to take for-evah.

Realtorfrog

Spanky's is really good, burgers cheese sticks and awesome mushrooms!! Across from campus and it's packed! One guys pizza, Again across from campus.....it's delicious!!!! Especially the calzones. Josie's for burritos, very good and some are open 24 hours. I'm headed to Wollforth to try the BBQ place in TX top 50, it's a bit past Lubbock but I've heard good things. Orlando's is good, a little nicer than the others.

As far as tailgates, they are everywhere and plentiful but not real inviting from what I have found, As someone else said the campus is huge!!! Largest land mass in the US at one time...... this could have changed.

Nothing spectacular, I can't recommend a specific place but the ones I have mentioned are pretty good. They arrive early so be prepared, if your eating close to campus for long waits. They used to have an area like Frog Alley but it's alot smaller this year..... private tailgates have taken some of that space. Chick fil a is all I remember for sure.

I do recommend stopping at the Slaton Bakery if you like thumbprint cookies, follow the signs since construction has it all messed up. Holly's Drive In in Post is another place I like to stop. And the best DQ is in Merkel, although it could have already closed..... it's one that's slated to close but note sure when. Saw SuperFrog their a few years ago!

Last edited:

RufeBruton

My advice = leave the children with the grandparents. And I’m not really joking. The stuff I’ve seen and heard in and around Jones Stadium are way beyond common family decency. Other than that...enjoy your time in the enema insertion point of Texas.

Have attended three games in Lubbock. In two of them, I was 1.) struck with a metal folding chair 2.) consistently kneed in the back by a guy that yelled at me 'f* you froggie' throughtout the first half (moved at halftime). The other was a joint fraternity party where the chapters from both TCU and Tech ended up in a fight.

Pharm Frog

As someone else said the campus is huge!!! Largest land mass in the US at one time.....!

FWIW - they count their crop land as a part of their land mass. When I taught there they were pissed that the USNA got to claim Chesapeake Bay as part of its campus so they started talking about “land” campus.

Good call on One Guy

Evlo59

Thank me later... Capital Pizza in Lubbock is fantastic. I’m in Lubbock two or three times a year for business and I found this gem a while back.