• The KillerFrogs

According to Ohio State a QB is

Double V

Except won't they all just slot into where they ALREADY were? All this does is make it POSSIBLE for a small school like TCU to pay enough kids enough $$ to make a run at a Natty. Likely not sustainable, but I see nothing but upside for the non blue-bloods.

ECM

I have no idea where this all ends up. My fear is that 100 schools become de facto developmental squads for the 20 or so richest blue-blood programs. I think we’ll see a Super League in college football in the next 10 years or so, and if we havent already jumped the shark, we will then. People lIke the intrigue of underdog stories like Boise State, UCF and (I hate to say it) some of those TCU teams from yesteryear. But that won’t be possible if the USCs and A&Ms of the world simply restock their rosters with lesser programs’ best players each offseason.

Toad Jones

It’s shocking to me that the NCAA was dumb enough to throw open the doors of the transfer portal and NIL with no foresight or guidelines whatsoever. Actually, it’s not shocking at all.
Decisions are being made everyday with little thought of long term. You have heard many times...I want it now..... I deserve it now... Decisions are based on that thought as we speak. So we have a society riding in those bumper electric cars you see at circuses. Two days ago I saw a program with a highly regarded x ceo saying...it will never be same again. ..ever

SuperTFrog

He's right, except about the part where things settle down. That isn't going to happen.

The cost of a top-tier D1 football roster now/in the near future is going to be roughly $10-20 million a year, basketball will be $5-10 million, baseball in the several million range (with a WAY higher variance between SEC and, for instance, AAC).

Overall, you will see top-tier athletics programs paying athletes ~$30 million-plus a year, easy... And yes, in time, the universities are going to take this back from the alums, schools are already tired of the current system. The university IS a collective, in its own way, and you will just be asked to contribute annually to, for instance, the TCU Frog Club, to help fund these player-specific investments.
What about when title IX rears it’s ugly head? Doesn’t seem fair to pay the male college football players that much when the female NIL deals are so much lower. Seems like the ace on the women’s softball team should be making a cool $2M.

Dogfrog

IMO, if there is no intervention, this will end up being a super league of maybe 20-30 schools with non students playing sports under contract, competing directly with the NFL. This league won’t pull away from the rest of college football. The other roughly 170? schools will wise up, say no thanks, and start establishing their own regional leagues with their own rules. In other words back to the original student-athlete system. Personally, I would be ok with that. The current path is insane.

Pharm Frog

You joke, but the simple fact is that there are some TCU scholarship athletes right now who are barely literate. It’s a tragedy how much the system has failed them, and used them and their skill for financial gain without also helping them develop the necessary life skills.
I get what you are saying but I contend that it’s euphemistic to say “the system has failed them”. Systems are built and sustained by people. People failed them. Teachers, administrators, parents, and coaches failed them and they failed themselves.

Endless Purple

I get what you are saying but I contend that it’s euphemistic to say “the system has failed them”. Systems are built and sustained by people. People failed them. Teachers, administrators, parents, and coaches failed them and they failed themselves.
Agree, but you left out politicians in office that created many of the messed up laws.
I put politicians, then parents, then administration at the top.
Many good teachers, some bad, but neither are allowed to do much outside the prescribed guidelines.

As to the universities - they allow it by accepting non-university prepared students. Tell the high school coaches that the players will not be accepted without being able to pass certain guidelines, and I bet the high schools start to teach a little more, then on down the line. As opposed to they wanna play sports, they don't need school.

Endless Purple

Decisions are being made everyday with little thought of long term. You have heard many times...I want it now..... I deserve it now... Decisions are based on that thought as we speak. So we have a society riding in those bumper electric cars you see at circuses. Two days ago I saw a program with a highly regarded x ceo saying...it will never be same again. ..ever
Always need to accept change. Only all change now is not in a good direction. Like you mention, it is all about me and now.

I guess we are taking this to a whole new level - "Better to burn out, than fade away"

Eight

Title IX isn’t long for this world (legally).

exactly how does the concept that gender is fluid , ever changing, like the spectrum of light pair well with a formula determining how money has been spent on the TWO genders?

could half of the horns male athletes declare they are non-binary and be removed from the calculation ?

Eight

What a mess.

always been there, but before it was in the kitchen and we never saw how the proverbial sausage was made

now however, with the walls removed we get to find out truly whether there is organ meet, ear, lips, and hooves in the mix so to speak