• The KillerFrogs

ACC moving to pod-like format in 2023...

Endless Purple

Yeah, I ran numbers a while back and the 3 permanent 5-5 works well with 14 teams playing 8 conference games. Not sure how ND fits in if they are a 15th team or not (didn't look it up).

1-7-7 works well for a 16 team conference with 8 conference games.

I was also looking at options for the Big 12 once it reached 12 teams and the rumors of keeping a 9 game schedule. I found I really like having 7 permanent rivals and 2-2 for the other 4 teams so a 7-2-2 format. I think that would be a great choice for the big 12. Also the permanent rivals can mix and match to suit each team. For example, If TCU and Tech are permanent rivals, that does not mean they have to have the other 6 teams be the same.

FrogAbroad

21130732_4.jpg

I'm tellin' ya, Bob, this is NOT the kind of pod the ACC's adopting!

TCUdirtbag

Who cares. They suck. Except for Clem.

At least they have enough brain cells to play an 8 game conference schedule. SEC does it, and PAC is looking at it. As balanced as the Big12 looks to be, we don't need the extra losses of a 9 game conference schedule.

A 9th conference game could drive more media contract revenue. That will be the deciding factor.

Nick Danger

A 9th conference game could drive more media contract revenue. That will be the deciding factor.
On the other hand, only playing 8 conference games will leave more room for one or two "more compelling" non-conference games. This would be more probable since there are several conferences (SEC, ACC, Big-10(?), PAC-12) that are only playing eight, so will have some open slots to fill.

Additionally, this would be more desirable, from an inventory aspect, to any media company that has a contract with both of those same conferences. One of the OOC games that the media-provider arranges between two of its' "properties", could be a higher-profile game at a neutral site, like Jerry World, Alamo Dome, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Overseas?, or even moved to a more exclusive time slot (like with the lowly TCU/Colorado game)! That would still allow the individual schools to maintain their own three-tier OOC scheduling formats, as they see fit.

It just boils down to would you rather play another ho-hum conference mate in that ninth game or play an inter conference game between teams of similar stature (similar to the Basketball Challenge games)? Your media partner would probably prefer the later!

Big-12 teams are going to need to gamble and play (and beat) some higher profile teams in order to garner enough votes to make even a 12 team playoff, as opposed to padding your schedule with some middle-of-the-road AAC or C-USA teams, or even lower level P5 teams. Isn't that the exact same argument (the value of a "big win") that proponents of a more compelling Conference Championship Game use in calling for doing away with Divisions?

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yeah, I ran numbers a while back and the 3 permanent 5-5 works well with 14 teams playing 8 conference games. Not sure how ND fits in if they are a 15th team or not (didn't look it up).

1-7-7 works well for a 16 team conference with 8 conference games.

I was also looking at options for the Big 12 once it reached 12 teams and the rumors of keeping a 9 game schedule. I found I really like having 7 permanent rivals and 2-2 for the other 4 teams so a 7-2-2 format. I think that would be a great choice for the big 12. Also the permanent rivals can mix and match to suit each team. For example, If TCU and Tech are permanent rivals, that does not mean they have to have the other 6 teams be the same.
Yeah, I lean towards the "more permanent rivals" camp. You can get used to a rhythm that way.

I just keep thinking that the UT-OU move to the SEC is happening sooner rather than later. Whether the BIGXII is prepared or not is a good question. It's awfully quiet out there...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
On the other hand, only playing 8 conference games will leave more room for one or two "more compelling" non-conference games. This would be more probable since there are several conferences (SEC, ACC, Big-10(?), PAC-12) that are only playing eight, so will have some open slots to fill.

Additionally, this would be more desirable, from an inventory aspect, to any media company that has a contract with both of those same conferences. One of the OOC games that the media-provider arranges between two of its' "properties", could be a higher-profile game at a neutral site, like Jerry World, Alamo Dome, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Overseas?, etc.
And, as there is only one media-provider that really counts...

Nick Danger

I like this format. Can't believe it wasn't thought of previously.

You have a number of Options! Pick your Poison!
The 16 Team option has some notable scheduling Cons: Doesn't allow for as many permanent "Rival" games. Offers up "lesser" teams more of a chance to slip into the Championship game by playing a weaker schedule (potentially missing playing several tougher conference opponents)!
The 14 Team option offers up a good balance between schedule predictability and variety, and the Pro's and Con's of the 12 Team and 16 Team formats, while giving the lesser teams a somewhat better chance of qualifying for a bowl game on an annual basis!
Under the 12 Team option, the two negatives found in the 16 Team format, become positives!

12 Teams: (No Divisions)
  • (8 conference games) 5-3-3 format!
  • (9 conference games) 7-2-2 format!
14 Teams: (No Divisions)
  • (8 conference games) 3-5-5 format!
  • (9 conference games) 5-4-4 format!
16 Teams: (No Divisions)
  • (8 conference games) 1-7-7 format!
  • (9 conference games) 3-6-6 format!

Last edited:

HG73

Correct, and I would be interested in knowing exactly how much extra revenue that brings. Wouldn't that be partially offset by the extra OOC games, most of which would likely be home games?

Endless Purple

Agree with the point HG73 brings up. A 9th conference game gives 6 home and 6 visiting teams. A 4th OOC could potentially give up to 12 homes games depending on how scheduled. Some years they might even be a big name opponent compared to a 9th conference game with no bluebloods in the conference.

Planks

I think another argument in favor of a 8 game conference schedule is it will make it easier for schools to schedule permanent OOC rivalry games. BYU will want to schedule Utah. UCF will want to schedule USF. OSU will want to schedule OU. TCU will keep the SMU series (probably). WVU would probably like to start playing Pitt more often.

The Big 12 is a geographically illogical conference, so giving our members more OOC games to schedule geographically close opponents would make sense.