• The KillerFrogs

Abilene Reporter-News: What Texas Tech football coach Matt Wells has to say about TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
What Texas Tech football coach Matt Wells has to say about TCU

Jordan Hofeditz, Abilene Reporter-News

Opening statement
Great road win. Really happy for our players. To go on the road, that's the hardest trip to play in the Big 12 with all the travel and an early kickoff and all that. I thought our guys were really laser focused and did a great job at the beginning of the game coming out strong. We got the two turnovers, we played right off of it, turned them into touchdowns.

Did exactly what we wanted to do. We had talked about it all week. Part of the plan to win, to play great defense, hold them to under 100 yards. We held them to 51 yards. We wanted to win the turnover margin, 4-0, and actually got two of those to turn into touchdowns. And then we wanted to protect the quarterback. That was a huge emphasis for us is just protecting the quarterback — what did they have, eight sacks I think the week before against Baylor, and we gave up none. We had, I think, seven yards of negative rushing, and in the last four weeks, it had been 30 plus, into the 50s, of the last four opponents before us. So that was a big part of not getting behind the chains, not getting our quarterback hit and sacked. So I thought our O-line did a nice job in terms of that. We tried to do everything we did, and I'm proud of our guys.

Read more at https://www.reporternews.com/story/...-football-coach-wells-has-say-tcu/2570724001/