• The KillerFrogs

AAF - that didn't last long

Zubaz

Yeah I’m kinda thinking it’s marginaly good news for the XFL. They won’t have the conpetition, but the AAF’s ratings were pretty good. Their attendance in the bigger cities was decent as well. San Antonio and Orlando led the pack, while the smaller cities like SLC and Memphis were they struggled. So their core business was about where you would expect it to be.

The issue they had is the AAF was undercapitalized it appears. They knew they d lose money the first year, and their plan was to run 3 seasons and then push for D-League status when the current CBA is up. Then their original investor bailed and they brought in Dunedon, who pushed for D-League status immediately. When the NFL said no, he pulled the plug. Rumor is he was about $70mm deep at that point.

Vince is already allocating at least $400mm to this, they are infinitely better capitalized to avoid the same issue. They’re in bigger markets to drive better attendance. Presumably they’ll have at least as good a television deal, hopefully better, than what the Alliance has to drive similar ratings.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
One thing the Alliance did that I found annoying, but is the "Wave of the Future" I suppose, was to live stream some of their games exclusively. I would have watched, or at least had it on in the background while I did other things, but the streaming thing made this impossible. Besides, I'm simply not going to watch a football game on a phone or tablet unless I am dying to see it and there is literally no other option. The AAF didn't check off either of those...

asleep003

The rule of thumb use to be... that a restaurant should need to begin with at least
18 months minimum operating capital, with little to no business, to have any real
opportunity to succeed.

The league should've insured there was capital of significant funds for one, not to
mentioned 2 seasons. If the league survives one season, of course with a quality
product, it's likely communities may have supported AAF with more vigor, year 2.