• The KillerFrogs

A selfish request from all of you

JugbandFrog

Thursday night going into Friday... Let's all go do our best rain dances outside.

I need enough rain to cancel my daughter's soccer game on Saturday. It's at 1 p.m. and I coach the team. So no getting out of it if they play.

Thank you for your help in this endeavor. Go Frogs.
Take the team out for dinner the night before. cater it. A little slight food poisoning never hurt anybody...

Deep Purple

I'm not a very good dancer, but I'll pass the peace pipe around a little to see if I can get you some clouds ;-)
200.gif

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I understand your angst, amigo...really, I do. You're in a tough spot with no easy way out. But here's a wee bit of food for thought from my own experience, years and years ago.

I loved playing football. I was never very good at it, never good enough to even sniff a scholorship like my dad, but I loved everything about it, even the practices. But there was one disappointment, and it took me awhile to get over it. My dad never saw me play even one down. He was committed to his job, which at that time required lots of travel away from home. If he was home on Saturdays he'd usually be found at his office clearing up correspondence and shuffling through reports. I wished then -- and wish now, some 65 years later -- that he'd been there for one or two of those few games that constitute my football career. But...he had other commitments. As I matured and better understood the pressures he was undergoing at that point in our family history I learned to deal with my childhood disappointment. But still...well...I wish hed been there.

I don't know what kind of coach you are...I don't know what kind of fan you are. You may be the greatest at both, or maybe you're nothing more than a warm body among many others. But whatever you are in those two facets of your life, you're still, and always will be, Daddy to someone. Make it count, amigo, make it count.
^^^^
This. So much this.

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it
And as he grew, he'd say
"I'm gonna be like you, Dad
You know I'm gonna be like you"

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
"When you comin' home, Dad?"
"I don't know when
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then"

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, c'mon let's play
Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today
I got a lot to do", he said, "That's okay"
And he, he walked away but his smile
Never dimmed and said
"I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him"

"When you comin' home, Dad?
"I don't know when

Well, he came from college just the other day
So much like a man, I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head, and he said with a smile
"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys"
"See you later, can I have them please?"

"When you comin' home, son?"
"I don't know when
But we'll get together then, Dad

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I could find the time"
"You see, my new job's a hassle and the kid's got the flu"
"But it's sure nice talkin' to you, Dad
It's been sure nice talkin' to you"

And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

"When you comin' home, son?
"I don't know when
We're gonna have a good time then"

Virginia Frog

I'm in the same boat. 1 PM game. It was rescheduled from last week. This is the last game. If all else fails I can go to the game until about 12:15 and then make it back about 2:10. And I would skip it but his mother and I just got into a huge fight about priorities the other day and it would be a bad look on my part if I missed.
"Mom, can't you see than I'm an ADDICT. TCU football "is" the priority and I can't control it!"

(TCU Football Addiction is a real disease, look it up.):D

Horny4TCU

Thursday night going into Friday... Let's all go do our best rain dances outside.

I need enough rain to cancel my daughter's soccer game on Saturday. It's at 1 p.m. and I coach the team. So no getting out of it if they play.

I'm in the same boat. 1 PM game. It was rescheduled from last week. This is the last game. If all else fails I can go to the game until about 12:15 and then make it back about 2:10. And I would skip it but his mother and I just got into a huge fight about priorities the other day and it would be a bad look on my part if I missed.
What if, and it's a big one, you skip the other things and take the kids to the TCU game? Take the soccer teams to the game, forfeit and have fun with the team. Then get pizza afterwards!

Boomhauer

I understand your angst, amigo...really, I do. You're in a tough spot with no easy way out. But here's a wee bit of food for thought from my own experience, years and years ago.

I loved playing football. I was never very good at it, never good enough to even sniff a scholorship like my dad, but I loved everything about it, even the practices. But there was one disappointment, and it took me awhile to get over it. My dad never saw me play even one down. He was committed to his job, which at that time required lots of travel away from home. If he was home on Saturdays he'd usually be found at his office clearing up correspondence and shuffling through reports. I wished then -- and wish now, some 65 years later -- that he'd been there for one or two of those few games that constitute my football career. But...he had other commitments. As I matured and better understood the pressures he was undergoing at that point in our family history I learned to deal with my childhood disappointment. But still...well...I wish hed been there.

I don't know what kind of coach you are...I don't know what kind of fan you are. You may be the greatest at both, or maybe you're nothing more than a warm body among many others. But whatever you are in those two facets of your life, you're still, and always will be, Daddy to someone. Make it count, amigo, make it count.

Damn man, wasn’t expecting that but you are right.

Years ago this same topic came up on KF.c and I remember @TopFrog (I think) getting a hard time from the board and in defense he said, “watching my kid play is more important than watching someone else’s kid play.”

I had never thought of it that way but years later when I had kids I remembered that and my kid’s games always came first. And the years I’ve coached my kids were so much fun I wouldn’t trade them for anything. Go enjoy coaching your kid.

froginmn

^^^^
This. So much this.

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it
And as he grew, he'd say
"I'm gonna be like you, Dad
You know I'm gonna be like you"

"When you comin' home, Dad?"
"I don't know when

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, c'mon let's play
Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today
I got a lot to do", he said, "That's okay"
And he, he walked away but his smile
Never dimmed and said
"I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him"

"When you comin' home, Dad?
"I don't know when

Well, he came from college just the other day
So much like a man, I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head, and he said with a smile
"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys"
"See you later, can I have them please?"

"When you comin' home, son?"
"I don't know when

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I could find the time"
"You see, my new job's a hassle and the kid's got the flu"
"But it's sure nice talkin' to you, Dad
It's been sure nice talkin' to you"

And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

"When you comin' home, son?
"I don't know when
We're gonna have a good time then"

Loved Jim Croce but I don't believe he ever did a version of that song.

It was Harry Chapin.

Priorities, Smorities. If Tom Brady can blow off family and Giselle effing B for football, you can too! What up.....

On the other hand, I missed the 400 yd LT game against UTEP to take my daughter to a tennis tournament at Newks in San Marcos. It rained. The whole tournament got crammed into the next day. Bought a radio to try to listen to the game. Went up and down the dial forever trying to find a station broadcasting the game. No luck. Didn't find out what happened until long after the game was over. No recordings available at the time. The friend I gave my tickets to still tells me thanks every time I see him, even now. I did earn everlasting gratitude, so I have that goin' for me.....Which is nice...........

Frog-O-Rama

When your kid is older, they will have played many games with many teams and many friends. They will hardly remember any of it. But you will remember missing this Tech game. Been there, done that.

Is there a hydrant you could open close enough to the field? Or a nearby spigot that could be connected to a very long garden hose? Sprinklers on the field that could have valves accidentally held open?

Let's use some creativity here folks!
I know a guy....

Edit: this reference has already been covered. Should have read rest of thread before posting

Last edited: