• The KillerFrogs

"A little bit of a disadvantage"

micahjh

The playoff will expand to 6 or even 8 teams before the BigXII makes any changes. An expanded playoff reduces the need for the conference to make any changes.

TCUdirtbag

Dogfrog said:
That was last year. What about 12-0 B12 vs. 11-1 B10 or SEC conference champion this year? No conference championship game still a disadvantage? Only thing I want Bowlsby to do is make it clear he is not referencing the playoff in his remarks. Leaving it open is dumb. And by the way don't reference Baylor last year, they were clearly attempting to use head to head when it didn't come into play in determining a champion.

Nitpicking one comment Bowlsby made it what is dumb. 

TCUdirtbag

Dogfrog said:
Your loyalty to our conference commissioner is commendable.

I give zero scheisss about the commissioner. He's a "yes man" for the presidents and chancellors, who get their athletics advice form their athletics directors.  

Endless Purple

Dogfrog said:
Guess you'll have to explain because I'm not following. No doubt the committee said last year that no clear champion hurt us. Are you saying we should just openly agree that no championship game should leave us out of the playoff, all other things being equal?

They also said they had to vote several times to get the teams right.  Guessing they may have been a little ambiguous on their real criteria.

JogginFrog

A CCG does improve a team's SOS, and that should mean something -- more than 13 Ws vs. 12.  

But no team will have played more Power 5 road games than TCU by season's end, and only a few will be able to match the Frogs' total of road-plus-neutral Power 5 games via a CCG.  

Here's hoping that Bowlsby will clearly articulate those facts about body of work on behalf of the conference members. A nine-game conference slate matters--especially for those teams that play 5 on the road.  Actually, that would make for at least as good a tie-breaker as H2H.

Dogfrog

JogginFrog said:
A CCG does improve a team's SOS, and that should mean something -- more than 13 Ws vs. 12.  

But no team will have played more Power 5 road games than TCU by season's end, and only a few will be able to match the Frogs' total of road-plus-neutral Power 5 games via a CCG.  

Here's hoping that Bowlsby will clearly articulate those facts about body of work on behalf of the conference members. A nine-game conference slate matters--especially for those teams that play 5 on the road.  Actually, that would make for at least as good a tie-breaker as H2H.
Agree. Unfortunately college football has become more of a PR game and commissioners are well paid to represent their conference in as positive a light as possible.

rifram09

TCUdirtbag said:
I would want to hear what he actually said in context, but it reads like all he's doing is speaking the company line the Big 12 Presidents/Chancellors don't want to expand (because there's not 2 that are slam dunk additions), and they make that choice knowing it puts the football programs at a slight disadvantage head-to-head with other 1-loss P5 playoff candidates.  

I don't see why people are upset about this--other than people are naive/uninformed about the dollars and cents of expansion.  Breaking news: one football CCG alone doesn't make the pie big enough to split 2 more ways, and there's a strong desire to not water down the brand.  

I think he's right.  I think we're 6-8 years away from expansion.  I think you'll see the LHN morph into the Big 12 Network and a couple programs added in 2020-2023 (in time to trigger some early media contract renegotiation and extend the GOR).  

People should spend less time worrying about expansion and more time enjoying the 10-team format.  It really is a lot of fun.  
You're all over it.

Right now, we can't have a CCG w/o expanding, and it appears obvious that expansion isn't financially prudent for the B12 right now.

In Janurary, the P5 are expected to deregulate the CCG rule, which will allow the B12 to add a CCG with 10 members. If that happens as expected, the 10 members of the B12 are going to have a critical debate.

I will side with those aiming to add a CCG w/o expanding. I don't like the gamble of hoping the other P5 conferences lose enough to open a slot for the B12. I want the B12 teams to be considered on their own merit. The CCG is the stumbling block.

Edit: there is also the issue of how you implement the B12 CCG. 1 round robin vs 2 5-team divisions? If rr, full 9-game rr or only partial 8-game rr? If divisions, how do you break it up? Will the TV partners allow us to drop below a 9 conference game regular season (which means they get less content than they bargained for)? How much revenue does a B12 CCG bring in? Who owns the rights to it? Lots of moving pieces.