• The KillerFrogs

"A little bit of a disadvantage"

ifrog

What an idiotic thing to say. It's almost like he doesn't want a B12 team in the CFP. Nothing good can come out of speculation in the middle of a season half a year later after a B12 team didn't make the CFP.

BABYFACE

Bowlsby will follow the lead of what the majority of the conference members want to do. Why would this be a shock to Toby Rowland?

Bowlsby does not operate on his own agenda. He can offer recommendations and push to move holdouts on agreement if there is a 7-3 vote on an issue. His job as with any conference commissioner, is to carry out the wishes and direction that member schools have directed him to. If the Big 12 member schools decide to expand or have a CCG, then he will pursue it.

There are commissioners that are more proactive than others. There are those that are more successful than others.

TCUdirtbag

I would want to hear what he actually said in context, but it reads like all he's doing is speaking the company line –– the Big 12 Presidents/Chancellors don't want to expand (because there's not 2 that are slam dunk additions), and they make that choice knowing it puts the football programs at a slight disadvantage head-to-head with other 1-loss P5 playoff candidates.  

I don't see why people are upset about this--other than people are naive/uninformed about the dollars and cents of expansion.  Breaking news: one football CCG alone doesn't make the pie big enough to split 2 more ways, and there's a strong desire to not water down the brand.  

I think he's right.  I think we're 6-8 years away from expansion.  I think you'll see the LHN morph into the Big 12 Network and a couple programs added in 2020-2023 (in time to trigger some early media contract renegotiation and extend the GOR).  

People should spend less time worrying about expansion and more time enjoying the 10-team format.  It really is a lot of fun.  

Dogfrog

As if the ESPN puppets and committee members needed another talking point against us. Thanks Bowlsby.

Rece Davis: "too bad about TCU being left out again, but as commissioner Bob Bowlsby stated a few weeks ago, without a conference championship they are at a disadvantage."

I would call a special session and fire him immediately and state why he was fired.

TCUdirtbag said:
I would want to hear what he actually said in context, but it reads like all he's doing is speaking the company line the Big 12 Presidents/Chancellors don't want to expand (because there's not 2 that are slam dunk additions), and they make that choice knowing it puts the football programs at a slight disadvantage head-to-head with other 1-loss P5 playoff candidates.  

I don't see why people are upset about this--other than people are naive/uninformed about the dollars and cents of expansion.  Breaking news: one football CCG alone doesn't make the pie big enough to split 2 more ways, and there's a strong desire to not water down the brand.  

I think he's right.  I think we're 6-8 years away from expansion.  I think you'll see the LHN morph into the Big 12 Network and a couple programs added in 2020-2023 (in time to trigger some early media contract renegotiation and extend the GOR).  

People should spend less time worrying about expansion and more time enjoying the 10-team format.  It really is a lot of fun.  
Please stop thinking and writing logically about this issue. You are wasting your time with the Chicken Littles around here

Reptilian

I think he is speaking his mind. We need to expand, we need a CCG, better OOC schedules...in his opinion. Not like he can go all Obama and use executive action.

Not sure why he takes all the heat.

Dogfrog

Reptilian said:
I think he is speaking his mind. We need to expand, we need a CCG, better OOC schedules...in his opinion. Not like he can go all Obama and use executive action.

Not sure why he takes all the heat.
He needs to be clear so people don't spin it as a playoff disadvantage. Because they will.

TCUdirtbag

Dogfrog said:
He needs to be clear so people don't spin it as a playoff disadvantage. Because they will.

Denial and dishonesty is not becoming. 

See, e.g., Art Briles and Ian Mcaw circa. December 2014. 

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Dogfrog said:
The Committee/ESPN: "Because of the obvious and stated disadvantage of the Big 12, 4 SEC teams are in the playoff. The way God intended."

Dogfrog

TCUdirtbag said:

Denial and dishonesty is not becoming. 

See, e.g., Art Briles and Ian Mcaw circa. December 2014. 
Guess you'll have to explain because I'm not following. No doubt the committee said last year that no clear champion hurt us. Are you saying we should just openly agree that no championship game should leave us out of the playoff, all other things being equal?

Flying T

Tier 1
Bowlsby clearly isn't speaking for David Boren, who clearly said our contract with the networks allows us to go to 12 teams without diminishing our per team payout. Bowlsby can only be speaking for UT with his comments. We need to split for the PAC12 before they get desperate and add UH in order to get their network into the Texas market and timezone.

TCUdirtbag

Dogfrog said:
Guess you'll have to explain because I'm not following. No doubt the committee said last year that no clear champion hurt us. Are you saying we should just openly agree that no championship game should leave us out of the playoff, all other things being equal?

I'm saying there's no point lying and crying about this reality.  11-1 Big 12 last year was < 12-1 Oregon/Alabama/Ohio State.  You are inexplicably upset that Bowlsby admitted this.  The presidents and chancellors have clearly decided this is a risk worth taking, knowing how rare it is to end up with 5 undefeated/1-loss champs and knowing one year does not predict the future.  

You act mad at Bowlsby and all he did was speak honestly.  You act like you want him to cover it up, which will not help anyone and will make us look foolish.  If we're going to be different, we've got to own it.  

Dogfrog

TCUdirtbag said:

I'm saying there's no point lying and crying about this reality.  11-1 Big 12 last year was < 12-1 Oregon/Alabama/Ohio State.  You are inexplicably upset that Bowlsby admitted this.  The presidents and chancellors have clearly decided this is a risk worth taking, knowing how rare it is to end up with 5 undefeated/1-loss champs and knowing one year does not predict the future.  

You act mad at Bowlsby and all he did was speak honestly.  You act like you want him to cover it up, which will not help anyone and will make us look foolish.  If we're going to be different, we've got to own it.  
That was last year. What about 12-0 B12 vs. 11-1 B10 or SEC conference champion this year? No conference championship game still a disadvantage? Only thing I want Bowlsby to do is make it clear he is not referencing the playoff in his remarks. Leaving it open is dumb. And by the way don't reference Baylor last year, they were clearly attempting to use head to head when it didn't come into play in determining a champion.