• The KillerFrogs

A few things I believe to be true...

MinFrog

- GP requires Cumbie to run a more conservative game plan than he would like

- With that said, Cumbie still isn’t a very good play caller

- Cumbie is a good recruiter, but has not proven himself to be a good developer of QBs

- only Fitch and Modkins are both good recruiters and good coaches on defense

- Only Luper is a good recruiter and coach (Kelly is still too early to determine)

- all other coaches are up for question, except maybe Thomsen - not sure about him

- We are still in the middle of the pack in the big xii and should compete for titles every 3-4 years if we catch some breaks (see Baylor this year)

- we have the athletes to take the next step with better coaching

- I don’t trust GP to take the drastic steps he should take to try and make a run in the next few years. I expect some changes in the margin and not much to change. I’d have more hope if CDC were still here, but I don’t think JD will do [ Finebaum ].

TRF51

I agree with everything you just said. We have been trending down on offense for years, GP knows it but he also knows he can control Cumbie so he tolerates him. I don’t know whose fault it is but it is obviously a problem and has been yet it does not get addressed.

Eight

I agree with everything you just said. We have been trending down on offense for years, GP knows it but he also knows he can control Cumbie so he tolerates him. I don’t know whose fault it is but it is obviously a problem and has been yet it does not get addressed.

it would seem that if there is an issue on the offensive side of the ball and the head coach knows about it and tolerates it than ultimately the person at fault is the person who can do something about it and in the end that is patterson.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I though the recorders coach essvyhe ansewer to that problem sdvhrhsdvthcthre credentials but apparently doesn’t have the ability to teach them how to tin touted proproperly, get sepslaration or Cath the ball

if crumbiest goes and we keep the of that crew are any better off?what purpose does Jarrett Anderson serve?inside receivers coach and protected by gars loyalty factorrusty burns... I though offensive analysit was the prrfrct slot for him maybe t Chris Thomson. I’d keep him cutis luper great recruiters luper grestbrrcruiter

4th. down

MinFrog, gotta agree on your points but take exception to Sonny not being a good QB coach and this is why - Boykin, Bram, and Kenny come to mind along with what has he had to work with other than those 2? Aune, Sawyer, Mule, Wooten, Robinson (head case and parent problem), Rogers hurt, has not played in 3 years, and now Max, which he is progressing nicely IMO.

As a QB position coach and recruiter, believe Sonny has done well, but all the other is subject to debate IMO.

tcumaniac

How many coaches on our staff wouldn’t be able to land a P5 job by next season if they were let go today?

I think the answer could easily be 2 or 3, if not more.

Hard to compete for championships with a staff that’s stale and under qualified for their job.

I know that during recruiting Gary likes to brag about the longevity of his staff, especially compared to other schools.

Ironically, I think the longevity of some of his staff has become one of the program’s biggest downfalls.

4th. down

How many coaches on our staff wouldn’t be able to land a P5 job by next season if they were let go today?

I think the answer could easily be 2 or 3, if not more.

Hard to compete for championships with a staff that’s stale and under qualified for their job.

I know that during recruiting Gary likes to brag about the longevity of his staff, especially compared to other schools.

Ironically, I think the longevity of some of his staff has become one of the program’s biggest downfalls.

I agree but also disagree on - zero obtaining a job with a Power 5 in the same capacity that they enjoy at TCU, and certainly not with a conference contender in any of the conferences. You might get on with your same position at some place like Rutgers or Wake Forest, etc. and that would be a stretch.

Including last year and current this year in conf. games, we are 6/9. Another year next year like this and believe the big donors are going to politely ask GP to retire. To much money and too many promises and innuendos to these people is not sitting well.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

One thing I know to be true?
Fish. That's right. FISH are true.
Not like they try and be something they are not. They're fish. They are not going to show up and try to be a political pundit, talk show host or steer wrestler or something crazy.

They're fish. They do fish stuff. Swim, eat, [ Finebaum ].

Fish. Fish are true.

GenXFrog

I though the receivers coach was the answer to the (offense) problem? He has the credentials but apparently doesn’t have the ability to teach them how to run routs properly, get separation or catch the ball.

If Cumbie goes and we keep the rest of that (offensive) crew are we any better off?

What purpose does Jarrett Anderson serve? Inside receivers coach and protected by Gary's loyalty like Rusty Burns... I though offensive analyst was the prefect slot for him maybe.

I’d keep Chris Thomson and Curtis Luper. Great recruiters.

Not looking to start any debates. Was just thinking about Wes, and this was the last post he made himself. I've cleaned it up a bit. The original is post #6 above.

The last few times Wes and I talked, he was advocating for positive offensive staff changes. (well, moving on from certain offensive staff.)

Don't know that he'd ever have dreamed our defense would be our achilles heal this year, or that change would ultimately be so drastic.

That said, I'd like to believe he's looking down from above, and excited to see the positive changes occurring.

Miss you.