• The KillerFrogs

A college football thought from watching the British Open today

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I am afraid that the commercial-with-the-game-in-the-corner is the wave of the future. After all, we viewers are the product. The nets are just selling our eyeballs...

5 replies until someone corrected longitude vs latitude? Be glad you didn't say you "could care less" how cold it is at Carnoustie...

1b80f550e72484de85d7dbc3fe8d3c5a--boat-navigation-sextant.jpg

HToady

Golf and NASCAR are two sports where the game controls the TV coverage. College football is a sport where TV controls the game. Why is that?

Could you imagine if TV contracts required golfers to pause or NASCAR cars to pull over to the side for the running of commercials?

During many of the commercials, they did a split screen with half being the golf and the other half being the commercial, with the audio for the commercial. Maybe a way to cut down on all those commercial time-outs. It sure looks to me like the biggest cause for long college games is not the clock rules or replays, but all those commercials. And the networks sure as hell are not going to agree to have fewer commercials. Seeing play happen with a smaller part (half) of the screen would suck, though.

But I would rather see that than make college football more like NFL ball, with far less plays. If fact I would rather have the way it is now that a more boring product.
Exactly what I wrote when this came up a few months ago. I also suggested crawls and live reads. You have to charge less for crawls and reads but you can do so many more that a good ad person can sell more $$$ this way. But you are exactly right: Ever since the new contract Fox has added an alarming amount of more commercial time hence, regular 4-hour games (which as those who DVR know are hell when a game doesn't start on the channel it is supposed to because the game before goes long since they program the games 3 hours apart). Glad to see you agree with ol' 2314.

Eight

Exactly what I wrote when this came up a few months ago. I also suggested crawls and live reads. You have to charge less for crawls and reads but you can do so many more that a good ad person can sell more $$$ this way. But you are exactly right: Ever since the new contract Fox has added an alarming amount of more commercial time hence, regular 4-hour games (which as those who DVR know are hell when a game doesn't start on the channel it is supposed to because the game before goes long since they program the games 3 hours apart). Glad to see you agree with ol' 2314.

sounds as if many on here want college football to basically be broadcast in the manner of soccer......huh...who knew?

sounds as if many on here want college football to basically be broadcast in the manner of soccer......huh...who knew?
Commercial-break wise, yes. I guess for those who only watch TCU and do not watch the other games the length is not an issue. I think more are in my boat.

Eight

Commercial-break wise, yes. I guess for those who only watch TCU and do not watch the other games the length is not an issue. I think more are in my boat.

you could expand your field to anyone who watches anything on fox and find a group of people who get tired of a few minutes of action and the same freaking commercials again and again and again for 3-4 minutes at a time.

if flo from progressive burst into flames right now and was never seen again i would not miss her a single bit

HToady

you could expand your field to anyone who watches anything on fox and find a group of people who get tired of a few minutes of action and the same freaking commercials again and again and again for 3-4 minutes at a time.

if flo from progressive burst into flames right now and was never seen again i would not miss her a single bit
The TV Producers seem to lack programing skills or any level of creativity.
Here's an idea: Take commercial breaks at quarter changes and during official timeouts and injury timeouts only. During halftime run only commercials for 20 minutes with a ribbon running scores at the bottom. That would amount to more commercials than you currently have plus allow you to cut the cost for the studio "talking heads". Nobody cares about them anyway.
But that's too bold.

Yes NBC has been on to this for a while

Or the gay Sonic guys

The TV Producers seem to lack programing skills or any level of creativity.
Here's an idea: Take commercial breaks at quarter changes and during official timeouts and injury timeouts only. During halftime run only commercials for 20 minutes with a ribbon running scores at the bottom. That would amount to more commercials than you currently have plus allow you to cut the cost for the studio "talking heads". Nobody cares about them anyway.
But that's too bold.
Not enough break time to recoup all those millions given the Big 12. But I like how you're thinking.

netty2424

During many of the commercials, they did a split screen with half being the golf and the other half being the commercial, with the audio for the commercial. Maybe a way to cut down on all those commercial time-outs. It sure looks to me like the biggest cause for long college games is not the clock rules or replays, but all those commercials. And the networks sure as hell are not going to agree to have fewer commercials. Seeing play happen with a smaller part (half) of the screen would suck, though.

But I would rather see that than make college football more like NFL ball, with far less plays. If fact I would rather have the way it is now that a more boring product.
Doing this on right now for shark week on Discovery. Looks like it's catching on quickly.