• The KillerFrogs

9/11/2001

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
145fb796-f7a2-4c15-b2df-9ef0e390b908-1.jpg

East Coast

Tier 1
This was one of the 5 toughest days in my life, just a horrific day. My son and I are attending a memorial this evening for the fathers of 3 of his classmates. The following day I drove up to Fort Lee to pick up a fellow frog who had miraculously escaped but had been stuck in the city overnight. A co worker (and still a good friend), left work and was one of many in the fleet of private boats that brought stranded people off the island. It's hard to believe it has been 20 years.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Should’ve known it was going to be a strange day in Houston. Absolutely not a cloud in the sky, no humidity and as hot and dry as Phoenix. Then after everything happened and all the planes had been grounded, I couldn’t believe how quiet the 4th largest city could be. Work let out early then it dawned on me that there were no planes in the sky. With airports all around you become immune to the din of air traffic. Just as I got home I heard the scream of two low flying F16s with the Texas flag insignias of the Air National Guard on the vertical stabilizers fly over. Then it seemed as though every 15 or 20 minutes they came over all day. Something seemed odd about them, then it dawned on me that they had fully armed weapons pylons.

Something I never knew until moving here was that Indy was ground zero for the majority of grounded flights due to its central location and the order to put down at the closest airport. Every inch of the airport except one into the wind landing strip and taxi way was wing to wing with airliners. Over 6000 travelers had to be fed and housed for weeks here.

Opintel

Moderators
This morning is much harder than I thought it would be.

I was at my desk at LANTFLT HQ in Norfolk when the TV started up very loud, and someone yelled to come over and watch the newscast...it seemed surreal. Our room immediately agreed that was much too big an explosion for a small private plane.

My heart hurts.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Keep politics off this thread, I will delete any posts that continue to mention politicians. This day is not for them, it's for those men, women, and children that lost their lives in the worst attack on our country.

I was at home getting ready for the day when I turned on the news and saw the first tower on fire. Minutes later as the news anchors were speculating if it had been a small private plane we saw the second plane fly into the second tower live. I still remember the stunned silence coming from the TV. Then, on my way to work I tuned to the local AM station and they were interviewing a reporter live at the pentagon to see what the military experts were saying when a loud noise came over the speakers and everything went dead. I still remember the stunned silence coming from the radio. Then, making it to work we watched as the towers fell, one after another, blanketing the great city in a cloud of toxic dust. I still remember the stunned silence of the room. This day we remember those who remain silent due to evil in the world, our fellow countrymen and women who never saw a September 12.

EDIT: yes I removed every post that mentioned politics, quoted those posts, or discussed them afterwards. If you want to reshare your personal accounts of this day please do so, all political discussion better be taken to The Pit.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Watching the second jet hit the Tower, knowing that it was a savage, deliberate attack, kindled a fire in me that has not banked one bit.

My sister-in-law's father, Joe, was a New York City Fire Captain who retired a month before the attacks. His Station was the Twin Towers Station. Every one of his firefighters, every one, ran into those buildings with no hesitation. They did their best to save others. They all died.

I think of Joe. He is wracked by guilt, guilt that he didn't do enough. That, if he had stayed on just a little bit longer, that things could somehow have been different. That, had he been there, he would have been with his brothers and sharing the danger with them. He is haunted in a way that I can grasp intellectually, but never fully understand.

SuperBarrFrog

Anyone else watch it occur in that common area just outside Frog Bytes? Thats where I was.

I was in the basement of the library cramming for a test. Didn’t no any5kng had happened until I came upstairs and heard classes were cancelled. No Tvs in the library and phones weren’t getting service so I didn’t fully realize what happened until I got back home to the Westcliffe Manor. Very surreal day.

Dogfrog

A Paris based company I did business with was sending three people to Houston for a two day formal negotiation. They didn’t want to do it at their Houston office so I set up a meeting room at the Bush Continental Presidents Club for around 2:00. That morning as I was getting dressed at home I watched the whole thing unfold on TV. The guests were in flight on a non stop from Paris. Later in the morning it became clear there would be no meeting as their flight was diverted to Canada. Think they were forced to stay there for at least week or two? Remember thinking how trivial our meetings were (in the grand scheme of things) and how nothing would ever be the same again.

Last edited:

Horny4TCU

I was a freshmen in highschool. We were at our highschool retreat when it happened. No tvs. So all the info we got was coming from the principal and her cell phone convos with other people. They told us the towers were hit. Then somehow someone heard the White House was hit. Then the Pentagon. At one point, we heard the President was Dead. Then they retracted that info. And all focus was on the towers. Then that night when we got back from the retreat, not plane in the sky. It was pretty crazy times that shaped the rest of my high school. Almost joined the Marines when I was senior. I was doing Poolee meets with my friend who did end up joining. If I didn't get an acceptance letter to TCU, I would've lead a totally different life.

Paul in uhh

This was one of the 5 toughest days in my life, just a horrific day. My son and I are attending a memorial this evening for the fathers of 3 of his classmates. The following day I drove up to Fort Lee to pick up a fellow frog who had miraculously escaped but had been stuck in the city overnight. A co worker (and still a good friend), left work and was one of many in the fleet of private boats that brought stranded people off the island. It's hard to believe it has been 20 years.
I feel like I’m missing something. Did they close all the bridges and tunnels?

GoFrog Yourself

I was in 4th grade in Fort Worth and remember it being a perfectly clear day outside. Teachers started acting strange mid morning and some of my classmates were going home early. Didn’t learn anything until I got home and my dad (who worked for Merrill and usually didn’t get home until dinner) was staring intently at the television. I’ll never forget the look of despair on his face when he told me what was going on.

Paul in uhh

Freshman English class. Won’t forget it.

What sticks to me most is the moving impromptu speech that a teacher of mine gave to my class later in the day. He was old - about 70 - and likely a veteran. He spoke passionately about how these events are designed to disrupt everyday life and to create fear for the sake of controlling masses of people and the way you fight back is by going on with your normal life. You carry on.

I really respected him a lot after that and his words have come to mind in recent years with the never ending covid BS.

East Coast

Tier 1
I feel like I’m missing something. Did they close all the bridges and tunnels?
They closed everything the day of the attack. People were walking some of the bridges within the boroughs. My friend used to commute by train, and they still were not running the next day, or at least that morning. Somehow he got over the George Washington bridge, somehow I'm drawing a blank as to how he managed it. I picked him up and took him to pick up his car at the train station, then we went back to his place and drank.