• The KillerFrogs

3rd highest rated signing class of the CGP era

peacock

I'm sure I am not the only one who got texts from SMU and Baylor buddies making fun of our low rated signing class.....i tried to tell them that these recruiting rankings are based on total signees..yada yada yada....but upon getting home and doing a deep dive at the numbers....it's actually the third highest rated class in the CGP era if you factor in player rankings which in reality should be the ranking standard.....

Year Nat'l (Big12) Score Player Avg (Big 12)
2015 39 6 191.44 85.63 4
2016 21 3 235.79 88.25 3
2017 28 3 210.03 85.18 3
2018 25 3 224.13 87.13 3
2019 31 3 217.48 86.53 3
2020 24 3 230.24 88.71 3
2021 56 9 171.77 87.32* 3*

*Brown and Rogers included in player avg. 247 did not include them (86.97)
87.32 player avg. ranks 27th nationally

for comparison that school down in Waco (rank 42) player avg 86.47
SMU (rank 49) player avg 85.40

so simply put tell your big 12 friends to stuff it...all the talk of our demise is greatly exaggerated!!!

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

To me the biggest advantage of getting the high-star players is they are more ready to play well early. Taking the 3* and turning him into a high draft choice is nice, but it takes time.

Of course the really good players who are stars their Freshman or Soph years don't stay all that long before going to the NFL.

Wexahu

and for the teams that make/win the CFP. We have consistently recruited the 3rd best class in the big 12. However, the gap between where we are and where we went to be is a gulf. If we want to make and win the CFP, we have to recruit better.

We can't afford as many misses. That's been what has been holding us back as much as anything. Don't know if we'll ever make the CFP, there seems to be less and less parity every year since the CFP was formed, but I know we'll never make it starting a bunch of underclassmen in key positions. Just last year we had to start a true freshman QB and RS freshman DE who clearly wasn't ready because all the people ahead of them either left the team or weren't any good. THAT'S what absolutely kills us. It's not easy to pull off (hell, it might be impossible) in this era of basically free agency, but ideally you have a few sophomore starters and then the rest juniors and seniors. A team like that might be able to make a run.

Need more offensive lineman. I would of liked to see more focus there.

I agree with you all my friends of other schools too pointed out how low TCU is in recruiting rankings. Thanks for pulling some numbers.

SuperTFrog

Give me talent, good work ethic, coachable, and purple Drive to win for TCU.

I have never seen a "stars catagory" on our scoreboard.

Stars are for those schools that can't beat the frogs on the field.
There is a ridiculous stat that every team that has made the college football playoff but one averaged in the top 10 in recruiting the previous 4 years. I think Washington was the only team. Maybe Mich St too. The bottom line is that year in and year out the teams at the top have the best athletes.

I’ve said it before, but getting stars doesn’t guarantee that you’ll win a bunch of games, but not getting stars almost guarantees that you will lose a bunch of games.

Every consistently good program is loaded with amazing recruits.

Eight

Looking Frog Factor, here. Those are our superstars. Hard to measure that coming out of high school. Hopefully, we got some.

so when evans broke that long run and johnston was doing what he did last week that was because of the frog factor or the talent that had them rated where they were rated compared to their peers?

jake102

but ideally you have a few sophomore starters and then the rest juniors and seniors. A team like that might be able to make a run.

I looked at aTm's roster this year and this is what they have. Like four seniors on OL, senior QB, most junior and seniors on the defense. Absolutely loaded with experience, and at the places where experience means the most (QB, OL, secondary)

CountryFrog

Whether we're first in the conference or last in recruiting rankings I really have no time at all for fans who want to get into a pissing match over recruiting. If you can't talk about actual football games on the field then just get the scheiss out of my face. I'm not interested in roster talk.

And the idea that anyone from SMU or Baylor would do that is beyond ridiculous. Not even worth any response other than laughing.

Relic

Whether we're first in the conference or last in recruiting rankings I really have no time at all for fans who want to get into a pissing match over recruiting. If you can't talk about actual football games on the field then just get the scheiss out of my face. I'm not interested in roster talk.

And the idea that anyone from SMU or Baylor would do that is beyond ridiculous. Not even worth any response other than laughing.

Kind of like taunting the warrior who just disemboweled you: "Hey, your sword is rusty."

jake102

Yeh I applaud the people who can keep up with recruiting, but it's mostly a whip to me. I typically follow 1-3 big names for TCU and then take a look on signing day to see what's there. Outside of Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State, it seems the correlation between recruiting and rankings is somewhat of guesswork.

There seems to be a strange disparity in the 2021 Big 12 recruiting rankings.

Rivals ranks our recruiting in 3rd place in the Big 12. While, 247 Sports
and

some others rank us in 9th place. Quality, like beauty is apparently in the eyes

of a beholder.