• The KillerFrogs

3 Texas players test positive this week. what happens during the season when this happens.

TCUdirtbag

Expect an imminent, exponential increase in positive tests coming out of college towns/counties. The athletes came back and they’re playing by the rules on campus and being college kids after workouts.

Universities are making them all get tested—so you have 1-2 showing symptoms and for each another 20 that are asymptomatic or nearly so. The numbers are huge and there will be a collective freak out as the numbers start coming out.

CountryFrog

You gonna let them practice and hang out with all the other players while waiting on the test results? If not then I suppose the whole team is in isolation until every test result returns. If they test positive (backdated to the time of the test), are you going to quarantine all those in the unit in which they play OR are you going to wait and see who becomes symptomatic (if anyone)? So I test on Saturday at 6pm after an 11am game and then go out with some buddies or attend a study session in the library and contract the virus, I’m good to go until after the next game at 3:00pm on the road with return air travel?

It does matter....window dressing. But I’m all for it if it makes some people feel like they are doing something meaningful. What your idea is designed to do is to protect the football season and I’m okay with that. Let’s just not pretend that this does squat for population health.
But also remember that more testing is beneficial for the collective psychological well being of our society. Even if every test is useless.

ifrog

My concern is, if you play in a game on Saturday and Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday you test positive, yes you will be isolated for 14 days. But what happens to the rest of the team. With the close contact you have in a game with the other team's players and with your own team, a lot of people might get infected quickly, then what? Collages can't take the chance of putting players into a risky situation. Some college will and the sky will fall on them. If teams are able to do daily testing, which is costly, that is the way out.

it seems like it would make sense for TCU to purchase or lease some space (near TCU) for players/students who come down with the virus to isolate them from their teammates, students and faculty/staff

TCUdirtbag

And expect the local, state, and federal politicians to give up the power that fear mongering over this virus gives them?

Could just as easily say “and expect local, state, and federal politicians to give up the power that fear mongering over government power/overreach gives them?”

BKSledge

Increased testing was going to be the key to all this, that’s what we heard every day for about a month. Until it isn’t.

Oh, it's still important, but the people that could have been saved in March through May are already dead.

We missed the opportunity to have testing and contact tracing prevent this from happening.

This is a post on the COVID thread on March 30 that seems depressingly relevant:

"Just 2 weeks ago you guys on here (Wexahu, at al) were yapping about how this isn't a big deal and H1N1 only killed 12,000, Obama somehow messed that up, and this virus is just like that,

and now you're okay with 100,000 deaths? WTH?

Trump is moving the death toll goalposts to "We'll have done a great job if 2 million people don't die and only 100 K die away from "We have 15 cases and soon we'll be down to Zero."

wow.

We could have been South Korea."

OmniscienceFrog

Once again - this should be the plan.

Test everyone right after the game on Saturday. That's day #1. If someone(s) test positive, they isolate for 14 days, with day #14 being on a Friday. Only miss one game.
And those that test positive and are isolated for 14 days are just going to walk out and play the next day, having done nothing for two weeks?

Pharm Frog

Lawsuits may be filed this coming week or next re: access to testing I’m told (and denial of access to healthcare because of unequal access to testing). Told that cities and towns with college athletics and professional sports are likely places for these to be filed.

jake102

And those that test positive and are isolated for 14 days are just going to walk out and play the next day, having done nothing for two weeks?

That’s plenty of down time for film study. Obviously some positions will be ready to go and others won’t, but if the person is Max Duggan I can guarantee you he’s playing

Eight

Oh, it's still important, but the people that could have been saved in March through May are already dead.

We missed the opportunity to have testing and contact tracing prevent this from happening.

This is a post on the COVID thread on March 30 that seems depressingly relevant:

"Just 2 weeks ago you guys on here (Wexahu, at al) were yapping about how this isn't a big deal and H1N1 only killed 12,000, Obama somehow messed that up, and this virus is just like that,

and now you're okay with 100,000 deaths? WTH?

Trump is moving the death toll goalposts to "We'll have done a great job if 2 million people don't die and only 100 K die away from "We have 15 cases and soon we'll be down to Zero."

wow.

We could have been South Korea."

no