• The KillerFrogs

247 sports: TCU's Patterson recruiting formula; find overachievers

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU's Patterson recruiting formula; find overachievers

By Jeremy Clark

Every year TCU head coach Gary Patterson gets asked about recruiting and the lack of signing what is defined as “elite” players. Yet, somehow he has managed to turn the Frogs’ program into a perennial top 25 program.

The question came again recently with Patterson was asked if he finds it difficult to recruit elite players and getting them to TCU. The coach smirked at the question, the familiar smirk in which he knows something that the rest of us don’t.

“What’s an elite player,” Patterson asked back. “I think three of our best players in this class you probably don’t even know their names. Deshawn McCuin ran a 10.5 100-meters out of Jacksonville. Karter Johnson was a guy that came out of another state. Blair Conwright is a receiver that can really run and a 3.9 student."

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/A...uiting-formula-find-overachievers--133780578/

Froggish

These recruiting articles that constantly talk about GP find diamonds in the rough and making the most of 2-3 star kids are really becoming a beating. I enjoyed them 10 years ago but these days I wonder if they don’t hurt GP on the trail more then help. At some point you got to wonder if our failures at recruiting more 4-5 star kids becomes self fulfilling prophecy.

Consider the NBA over recent years or what happens at most the blue bloods, there is no doubt that the big time recruits want to ball with other big time recruits. There is very little appeal to signing to a program whose perception is the little engine that could. I appreciate how good GP is at building up kids and finding the ones that are overlooked but I don’t for a minute believe that it’s because it’s always his preference.

Getting that outright Big12 title while slaying OU will do more for recruiting then any one person on the trail.

4th. down

I just cannot get my head around GP's statement of seeking out "over achievers" on the recruiting circuit.

How in the world do you determine from a HS kid that he is an overachiever? Verrett and Doctson, we didn't recruit out of HS because they were not overachievers but yet they became one, once in the TCU program. It all seems kinda silly to me unless you give them an aptitude/personality test prior to signing them. Verrett caught the coaches eye when in junior college and Doctson was a walk on.

helcap

I cringed more over Jeremy's use of the description "underachievers", which connotes lazy, lack of full effort.

"He calls them underachievers, guys that have something to prove mentalities."

I hope that is an error

4th. down

I cringed more over Jeremy's use of the description "underachievers", which connotes lazy, lack of full effort.

"He calls them underachievers, guys that have something to prove mentalities."

I hope that is an error

It's just BS mumbo-jumbo out of GP. I don't believe GP requires the prospect to take an aptitude/personality test before TCU giving them an offer - just BS.

Eight

i don't believe a player like kindred is an overachiever because you don't last playing in the secondary at the nfl level unless you have some physical talent.

what i do believe was derrick was undervalued and underappreciated by the services and most college coaches including tcu who almost didn't offer him.

i also believe guys like derrick and lj are willing to buy in to what is asked of them and absolutely busted their asses.

Froggish

i don't believe a player like kindred is an overachiever because you don't last playing in the secondary at the nfl level unless you have some physical talent.

what i do believe was derrick was undervalued and underappreciated by the services and most college coaches including tcu who almost didn't offer him.

i also believe guys like derrick and lj are willing to buy in to what is asked of them and absolutely busted their asses.

The underachiever/overachiever really makes no since. Undervalued or
Underexposed I get. I think the guy GP looks for is probably a guy who’a a physically gifted athlete that maybe hasn’t
finished growing..or has been under coached.

4th. down

The underachiever/overachiever really makes no since. Undervalued or
Underexposed I get. I think the guy GP looks for is probably a guy who’a a physically gifted athlete that maybe hasn’t
finished growing..or has been under coached.

Or in the wrong position. That overachiever stuff is BS. He seems to like blue collar 3 stars that are not getting the big push from the Big Boy Club that have talent and more growth ahead - ie. jerry hughes is typical - 3* star running back, Sam Carter 3* QB, etc. The list is long.

CryptoMiner

Texas HS football is filled with overachievers. Give me a great athlete that underachieved, not because they were lazy and didn’t work hard but because they were in the wrong situation.

Very few overachievers at the HS level turn out to be good D1 players without also being great athletes and those are generally your 4 and 5 star recruits which everyone has wants.