• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU spring practice notes: Savion Williams makes move at receiver

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU spring practice notes: Savion Williams makes move at receiver​

ByJEREMY CLARK

11683811.jpg

TCU held their first practice of the spring on Monday and among the notable changes on offense was for senior receiver Savion Williams.

The 6-foot-5, 215-pounder has spent much of his career playing “Z”, but at least for Monday’s practice, Williams slid to the opposite side and got significant reps with the first team offense at “X”. The move is similar to what the Frogs did last season when they moved Quentin Johnston to the position. The move worked for Johnston, who had over 1,000 receiving yards and is considered one of the top receiver prospects in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/A...ms-JoJo-Earle-John-Paul-Richardson-207005622/

Wexahu

he needs to become more physical off the line, improve the hands, and work his arse off on routes

he will never consistently be a blow by his defender guy, BUT he can become a mike evans type which will get you paid for a long time in the nfl
He always gets compared to QJ, but I don't see many similarities other than height tbh.

QJ is much more elusive but SW definitely attacks the ball better (QJ is really going to have to improve that aspect of his game a lot or he won't amount to much in the NFL IMO). SW is gonna have a much harder time getting open though, just don't think he is very quick or sudden. He needs to be one of 3-4 solid threats, if they are counting on him to more or less replace QJ than that's too much to ask, because he won't be a guy that defenses adjust heavily to account for like they did QJ. Just my opinion.

tcudoc

He always gets compared to QJ, but I don't see many similarities other than height tbh.

QJ is much more elusive but SW definitely attacks the ball better (QJ is really going to have to improve that aspect of his game a lot or he won't amount to much in the NFL IMO). SW is gonna have a much harder time getting open though, just don't think he is very quick or sudden. He needs to be one of 3-4 solid threats, if they are counting on him to more or less replace QJ than that's too much to ask, because he won't be a guy that defenses adjust heavily to account for like they did QJ. Just my opinion.
Attacking the ball seems like an irrational behavior. Hopefully the coaches can break him of that. It seems very problematic and difficult for me to understand. Counseling could prove to be useful.

Eight

Attacking the ball seems like an irrational behavior. Hopefully the coaches can break him of that. It seems very problematic and difficult for me to understand. Counseling could prove to be useful.

only becomes a problem when the ball fights back

Eight

agree that savion doesn't show that twitch and suddenness that q had (has)

he can work on the quickness some, but that ultimately is something you are born with which is what makes q a unicorn as a big receiver

savion has shown he will go up for the ball better than q and down field he does a good job shielding with his body .

want to read every practice this spring the corners are damn near mauling savion off the line. savion needs to study the work of evans, hopkins, fitzgerald, and irvin in fighting to get off the line against press coverage.

he needs to get where he will get his body between any defender and the ball on inside routes and how to box out on the out cuts.

if you can do that consistently you can have an nfl career

watch cordale on the outside for big play potential and then there is potential from the smaller receivers

froginmn

I can send this thread to the pit in.... five words.