• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU RB coach Curtis Luper expects run game to be strong in 2019

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU RB coach Curtis Luper expects run game to be strong in 2019

By Jeremy Clark

TCU running backs coach/co-offensive coordinator Curtis Luper knows a thing or two about running backs. He’s coached some successful running backs in previous stops and has helped Frog running backs with strong careers as well.

His 2019 group at running back for the Frogs could be considered one of his best yet. The Frogs return seniors Darius Anderson and Sewo Olonilua who collectively have rushed for over 2,600 yards in their careers. Emari Demercado rushed for over 200 yards last season as the third team back and the Frogs have added two very talented freshmen to the group in Daimarqua Foster and Darwin Barlow; both of which were ranked in the top 30 running backs in the nation for the 2019 class.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/A...-Curtis-Luper-run-game-strong-2019-134255807/

JockO de Frog

"Luper says fans should expect to see some packages involving both running backs on the field at the same time more this season."
Oh yes, please! Throw in an occasional Delton at QB and send them in three different directions.

ThisIsOurTime

The development of an effective aerial offense to complement such a potentially strong ground game becomes even

more essential.
It should be better than last year. We need another receiver to emerge to complement Raegor and we have a couple of folks who should be ready to do so.

Portland Frog

It should be better than last year. We need another receiver to emerge to complement Raegor and we have a couple of folks who should be ready to do so.

Frogs also need (or I wish for) more creativity in the play calling in the passing game. Fewer sideline throws and more utilization of the middle of the field. We all want to see more TE down the seam too. Force the defense to cover the whole field, not just outside the hashes. Also less of sending Reagor on fly patterns straight down the field when the CB is 10 yards off the LOS. Give him more opportunities to shine closer to the LOS. More YAC.

ThisIsOurTime

Frogs also need (or I wish for) more creativity in the play calling in the passing game. Fewer sideline throws and more utilization of the middle of the field. We all want to see more TE down the seam too. Force the defense to cover the whole field, not just outside the hashes. Also less of sending Reagor on fly patterns straight down the field when the CB is 10 yards off the LOS. Give him more opportunities to shine closer to the LOS. More YAC.

If we can run the ball, the short to mid range passing game should open up. In theory, this would benefit the tight end like David Thomas benefited from Vince Young's running ability. I was impressed with what I saw from Pro Wells so maybe he can be that guy for us. I need to see improved hands from Lynn and don't know anything about Carter Ware.

For some reason, we have trouble going over the middle of the field. Boykin was a little short and so preferred to throw to the outside. Kenny Hill would throw to the middle but would often get his passes blocked b/c he would telegraph his throws some and blocking would not keep the defenders hands down. So my gut says not to expect a big change in that area.

Honestly, I don't mind us throwing the ball up to Reagor as long as it is not into double coverage because he can come down with some of those not unlike Doctson. We need to make sure we are giving him enough opportunities each game to make big plays which may include throwing a few up to him with the DB 10 yards off the LOS.

Froggish

Boykin threw over the middle all the time.... he could make throws at every level (short dump offs, slants, quick outs, crossing patterns, deep outs, posts, fly, etc).
He did...he could be inaccurate at times but he was a fearless passer. As for crossing routs, we don’t have a true drag rout in our playbook. Slants and squares is about it. Look at what OU did with Hollywood Brown last year where they would line him up on the outside, shift him to the slot and drag him all the way across the field. 5 steps into that pattern the he would already dust the nickel and LB because they couldn’t keep up with him. Riley will run that rout with TE, Slots and RBs...As will Gundy with slot guys. I have never understood why we only run a fly, slant, or five yard out. That is almost our entire rout tree

Purp

"Luper says fans should expect to see some packages involving both running backs on the field at the same time more this season."
Oh yes, please! Throw in an occasional Delton at QB and send them in three different directions.
Only as long as one of those directions isn't backwards.

OmniscienceFrog

He did...he could be inaccurate at times but he was a fearless passer. As for crossing routs, we don’t have a true drag rout in our playbook. Slants and squares is about it. Look at what OU did with Hollywood Brown last year where they would line him up on the outside, shift him to the slot and drag him all the way across the field. 5 steps into that pattern the he would already dust the nickel and LB because they couldn’t keep up with him. Riley will run that rout with TE, Slots and RBs...As will Gundy with slot guys. I have never understood why we only run a fly, slant, or five yard out. That is almost our entire rout tree
route