• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU QB battle will go on at least another week

Hemingway

CAN and SHOULD are two very different things. I CAN eat a dozen blueberry donuts every day of my life but it's not the best idea.

Calling for an injured player to lose his scholarship if he doesn't get healthy soon is stupid. You can continue doing it and I can continue calling it stupid.

Thank you Internet police for regulating the content for us. The guy has been rehabbing for 4 years now , questioning his ability is fair game, bub.

Yes , even uninjured players that don’t produce or pan out, are cut or asked to transfer all the time at major programs.

CountryFrog

Thank you Internet police for regulating the content for us. The guy has been rehabbing for 4 years now , questioning his ability is fair game, bub.

Yes , even uninjured players that don’t produce or pan out, are cut or asked to transfer all the time at major programs.
Thank you, roster police for determining whether or not someone who still has 4 full years of eligibility should have their scholarship taken away because he's not currently 100% healthy.

CountryFrog

actually, not even 2 years as the injury was in september of 2017 and when you consider the degree of the injury and the fact he is finally back to being able to truly practice maybe you should he a bit more patient.
Nah, get him out of here! If he hasn't earned a starting spot yet then he's useless!

Putt4Purple

I find the fact that some posters really don't have patience for the rehabilitation process especially since JR's injury was so severe. He is a redshirt freshman. Maybe this year is another year he is participating but not completely 100%. He can be a very valuable asset in the future. Nothing is set in sports with an injury occurring at any time. Everything is flux at all times.
Lastly I will say if JR never plays significant amount of time on the football field a TCU degree is very much an accomplishment in an of itself. BIG picture folks!

Last edited:

texas_sicilian

I find the fact that some posters really don't have patience for the rehabilitation process especially since JR's injury was so severe. He is a redshirt sophomore. Maybe this year is another year he is participating but not completely 100%. He can be a very valuable asset in the future. Nothing is set in sports with an injury occurring at any time. Everything is flux at all times.
Lastly I will say if JR never plays significant amount of time on the football field a TCU degree is very much an accomplishment in an of itself. BIG picture folks!
He’s well worth the wait/risk.

Wexahu

I find the fact that some posters really don't have patience for the rehabilitation process especially since JR's injury was so severe. He is a redshirt sophomore. Maybe this year is another year he is participating but not completely 100%. He can be a very valuable asset in the future. Nothing is set in sports with an injury occurring at any time. Everything is flux at all times.

Actually, I think he is a redshirt freshman. One of the rare times when time doesn't go by as fast as it seems I guess.

I'm becoming more and more pessimistic about him ever being able to play just because it has been awhile and I figured he'd be higher up the depth chart than he appears to be by now. I just hope he's happy at TCU even if the football part might not be working out like he hoped.

Eight

Actually, I think he is a redshirt freshman. One of the rare times when time doesn't go by as fast as it seems I guess.

I'm becoming more and more pessimistic about him ever being able to play just because it has been awhile and I figured he'd be higher up the depth chart than he appears to be by now. I just hope he's happy at TCU even if the football part might not be working out like he hoped.

he is indeed a red-shirt freshman.

the toughest part about projecting him forward is i don't think anyone on this board truly knows his health and what he actually can or can't do on the field.

i think if he is indeed cleared to play he needs reps and i am not so sure he wouldn't benefit from running the scout team offense this fall where he has to throw against the frogs starting secondary.

Putt4Purple

Ok. Great I stand corrected on him being a redshirt freshman. All the more reason to be patient with him. I hope he has the same patience with TCU and its fans.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Didn’t it take jaylen smith from 1/1/16 until the start of the 2018 season (2.5 years) to be in a position to play to full potential? JR is under two years at this point without the benefit of football being his full time job during those two years.

Wexahu

Didn’t it take jaylen smith from 1/1/16 until the start of the 2018 season (2.5 years) to be in a position to play to full potential? JR is under two years at this point without the benefit of football being his full time job during those two years.

Smith played all season long in 2017, so it was 20 months from his injury when he was considered healthy enough to start an NFL game at linebacker. "Full potential" is a bit subjective, he obviously wasn't the same player he was a year later, but he played full-time at a position that requires quite a bit of changing direction, reacting instead of dictating where you are going, etc.

JR got hurt 23 months ago and it just seems like he still has a ways to go to be able to play. Hopefully I'm wrong.

FrogCop19

On top of that, I would hazard a guess that he is responsible for at least two, if not three players that signed after him. He is worth keeping on scholarship just for the fact that he is purple to the core. Hell, if his injury ends up sidelining him for good, just retire him from football, keep him on scholarship til he gets his degree, then hire his ass to be a recruiter for us. How great a story would that be for recruits to see?

froggolf65

Rogers may not be 100% but he has been a full participant in practice. I do not think it is a matter of getting cleared that is holding him back. Now it is getting back in the flow of the game and getting the ball out of his hand quickly.

4th. down

He’s well worth the wait/risk.

From a junior in HS to current date, that's a long time not to be in a football game for a QB and fans are wondering why he isn't at least the no. 1 backup.

Justin needs work and a lot of it, and if he gets it, could be a major factor late in the season for us. He's a thoroughbred, would have been a 5* recruit without the injury in the 1st. game of his sr. year in HS. I don't think GP has ever had a 5* recruit QB. Let's just hope he doesn't go the portal route after the bowl game.

Hemingway

actually, not even 2 years as the injury was in september of 2017 and when you consider the degree of the injury and the fact he is finally back to being able to truly practice maybe you should he a bit more patient.

I’m a patient but it will be 2 years in a couple of weeks sir.

He was a great dual threat qb, now he’s being called a “passer.” Doesn’t bode well for the young mans rehab. Sounds like Max is coming up with other highly rated qbs coming down the pipe. Feels like this year is his chance, hope he does it.