• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU lands commitment from SFA transfer DL Caleb Fox

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU lands commitment from SFA transfer DL Caleb Fox​

ByJEREMY CLARK

11065110.jpg

TCU added another commitment from the NCAA transfer portal on Thursday as Stephen F. Austin defensive lineman Caleb Fox committed to the Frogs. Fox released the news via his Twitter account.

"I would like to thank all the programs that believed in my ability to play the sport I love and extended me an offer during this time. With that being said, I will be making the decision that is best for myself and my family… COMMITTED," Fox wrote.

TCU has now landed 13 players via the NCAA transfer portal. Fox is the third defensive lineman to transfer to the Frogs, joining Lwal Uguak (UCONN) and Tymon Mitchell (Georgia). Mitchell committed to the Frogs last week.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/TCU-Horned-Frogs-land-Caleb-Fox-187219310/

Nick Danger

Took note of an interesting factoid in the article. Fox, as a freshman defensive tackle, had the same number of sacks that Ochaun Mathis did last year. Don't tell the Horns (or Patterson) or they'll probably come after Fox! ;)

Eight

mcfarland knows fox from recruiting and coaching him at sfa.

frogs current group of defensive linemen 5 seniors who are gone after this season, sorrells who for whatever reason(s) has never played but apparently rode around the world a copy of times on the exercise bike, watson who is an edge guy, a collection of transfers in mitchell, uguak, and blue-eli, and the 4 freshmen

if mcfarland thinks fox can come in, compete, and provide some quality snaps in the interior defensive line do it.

now go get the interior offensive line transfer from asu who can play center

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Is it really a good sign that we are getting transfers from SFA? I hope he turns out to be a hidden gem, but isn’t there a reason he was a Southland/WAC talent?
Obviously if we were bringing in 20 guys from those types of schools and depending on them to come in and be starters then it probably wouldn't be a good sign. Bringing in a handful doesn't mean anything other than we need to fill out the roster.

And of course as others have pointed out there are countless examples of smaller school guys being really good players. I have no knowledge of this player specifically.

Virginia Frog

Question…When we were just in the WAC and Mountain West, don’t you think we had some players that could play at the next level?
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!
Yes, but WAC16, WAC9 and MW were DIVISION ONE "A" (now FBS) scholarship.

But SFA's been at a much lower level FCS competition.

Just maybe - there are probably some "misses" by the FBSers that are playing at the FCS level. Maybe exceptions to the rule, okay.

I'd feel better if the lion's share of Sonny's portal pick-ups were from SEC, B10, or ACC, B12, P12 who were seeking greener pastures (playing time.)

That "fornicate Baylor" signature is unsanitary, I don't want that picture in my head. Just saying!:(

y2kFrog

Yes, but WAC16, WAC9 and MW were DIVISION ONE "A" (now FBS) scholarship.

But SFA's been at a much lower level FCS school and competition.

Just maybe - there are probably some "misses" by the FBSers that are playing at the FCS level. Maybe exceptions to the rule, okay.

I'd feel better if the lion's share of Sonny's portal pick-ups were from SEC, B10, or ACC, B12, P12 who were seeking green pastures (playing time.)

That "fornicate Baylor" signature is unsanitary, I don't want that picture in my head. Just saying!:(
There were 22 FCS kids drafted in this years draft including 2 first rounders.

Virginia Frog

There were 22 FCS kids drafted in this years draft including 2 first rounders.
<10% in 7 rounds.

Exceptions, rather than rule.

I'm not saying there aren't some unhidden gems/potential stars in the FCS ranks. Uncovering them is the complicated part of the calculus.

It's just that FCS portal switchers should remain in the few for TCU football.

Eight

Is it really a good sign that we are getting transfers from SFA? I hope he turns out to be a hidden gem, but isn’t there a reason he was a Southland/WAC talent?

all that matters to me is that his position coach at tcu is the same guy who has been his position coach at sfa

that same position coach has now spent the better part of the spring and all of spring practice with the frogs other defensive linemen

this position coach also played at ou in the big 12 and faced some fairly decent competition

fox would not be here if mcfarland did not believe he couldn't make a positive contribution to the program and i don't need any other reason or comparison than that one.