• The KillerFrogs

2314 finally on line at home!

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(tcumaniac @ Aug 7 2010, 01:09 AM) [snapback]608733[/snapback]
i live a mile past the big cow on 1187. They just put in a big neighborhood across the street from mine a few years ago, which brought with it AT&T. That neighborhood was definitely a blessing. AT&T is fast and relatively inexpensive. Before that, our only option was satellite which was too expensive, so we used a sprint pcs internet card that 's typically meant for mobile internet on one's laptop. However, they make wireless routers that have internet card slots so we put the internet card in the router and had wireless internet though that and it worked on my mac fine. However, the sprint internet card was very undependable and would stop working for days at a time.

Ah ha! Tried sprint but it took no less than Version 10.5, so it wouldn't work on my Mac. But glad to to know this. Sprint would have cost $69 a month and satelite Wild Blue costs $55 per month. The bandwith limits really don't affect me.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(2314 @ Aug 7 2010, 08:50 AM) [snapback]608773[/snapback]
The bandwith limits really don't affect me.

How is the connection and speed? Stable connection so far? Pages load and change quick? Tried any uploads or downloads?

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Aug 7 2010, 08:53 AM) [snapback]608776[/snapback]
How is the connection and speed? Stable connection so far? Pages load and change quick? Tried any uploads or downloads?

2314 does not upload. Last upload I had was my kf.c avatar.
But - weather report - Aledo had a massive downpour for 15-20 minutes last night and Internet was down during that time (and when I was in the middle of this thread). Happy to report Dish network stayed on without even a flicker.
Oh, to answer your question, did a couple of downloads and they went well.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(NativeFrog @ Aug 7 2010, 09:32 AM) [snapback]608791[/snapback]
I heard that satellite internet and wireless causes brain cancer.

and don't forget shrinkage.

TCUFrogs

So you have a land line for home phone, right?

Is it too much to run basic DSL service over that same line (via AT&T or such)? Then you could buy your own wireless router/modem and hook it to the wall outlet. (I have a D-link myself)

Maybe you already tried that, but if you can get a twisted pair feed to your house it seems like you could get some sort of basic service via the same mechanism. Then just improve it like I did.

Am I missing part of the story?

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ Aug 7 2010, 07:42 PM) [snapback]608945[/snapback]
So you have a land line for home phone, right?

Is it too much to run basic DSL service over that same line (via AT&T or such)? Then you could buy your own wireless router/modem and hook it to the wall outlet. (I have a D-link myself)

Maybe you already tried that, but if you can get a twisted pair feed to your house it seems like you could get some sort of basic service via the same mechanism. Then just improve it like I did.

Am I missing part of the story?

Yes. Who has a ground line these days? Never found use for a ground line. Doesn't make sense for me to have a ground line and a cell. Cell is paid for by work so I just use it (I live alone). Ha ha, I really don't know anyone who has a ground line any more. I used to have both, but NO ONE would ever call the ground line - always called on my cell. I haven't had a ground line since 2005.
Never understood why anyone wanted another bill - useless for a single-person household to have two forms of phone.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(2314 @ Aug 8 2010, 10:43 AM) [snapback]609042[/snapback]
Yes. Who has a ground line these days? Never found use for a ground line. Doesn't make sense for me to have a ground line and a cell. Cell is paid for by work so I just use it (I live alone). Ha ha, I really don't know anyone who has a ground line any more. I used to have both, but NO ONE would ever call the ground line - always called on my cell. I haven't had a ground line since 2005.
Never understood why anyone wanted another bill - useless for a single-person household to have two forms of phone.

Generally true unless you have an older home security system that is tied into the land line. That's the only reason I've kept my land line. Last time I checked, that was cheaper than investing in a new cable based security system. One thing I haven't researched is the home security systems that are cell line based. I'm not sure about reliability although it would provide a security line that couldn't be tampered with.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Aug 8 2010, 10:55 AM) [snapback]609048[/snapback]
Generally true unless you have an older home security system that is tied into the land line. That's the only reason I've kept my land line. Last time I checked, that was cheaper than investing in a new cable based security system. One thing I haven't researched is the home security systems that are cell line based. I'm not sure about reliability although it would provide a security line that couldn't be tampered with.

Never thought about security systems. That's a good reason to keep a land line. I would guess most homeowners do have ground line.
But to answer that other question - I don't want to have to pay two bills to have Internet service. I think it would cost more to do a land line so I can have DSL. I am satisfied with $55 a month - just $6 more than Charter cable when I lived in FW (Benbrook).

Horned Toad

If you have an AT&T Windows based smartphone, mobile 6 or better, you could tether your phone to your laptop for about $9 more a month. I'm not sure if other providers offer tethering but it actually works great. My wife and I have driven around Aledo looking at houses and we use my laptop tethered to my Tilt 2 and it works great looking up houses on real estate websites.

I just got back from San Diego and while there I downloaded a 200 MB file in just a few minutes using tethering. It works great and the speed seems the same as when using my laptop at home connected to my wireless router. In fact, while in SD my daughter connected her IPad and I had my laptop connected at the same time because the hotel we stayed in charged $15 a day, so forget that. We carry our own router with me in my mobile phone. Cheaper than satellite and at least as fast if not faster.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Horned Toad @ Aug 8 2010, 08:49 PM) [snapback]609255[/snapback]

If you have an AT&T Windows based smartphone, mobile 6 or better, you could tether your phone to your laptop for about $9 more a month. I'm not sure if other providers offer tethering but it actually works great. My wife and I have driven around Aledo looking at houses and we use my laptop tethered to my Tilt 2 and it works great looking up houses on real estate websites.

I just got back from San Diego and while there I downloaded a 200 MB file in just a few minutes using tethering. It works great and the speed seems the same as when using my laptop at home connected to my wireless router. In fact, while in SD my daughter connected her IPad and I had my laptop connected at the same time because the hotel we stayed in charged $15 a day, so forget that. We carry our own router with me in my mobile phone. Cheaper than satellite and at least as fast if not faster.

Thanks for the great advice, but unfortunately I do not own a laptop. Just a plain Mac OSX 10.4. Oh, and I do not own a SmartPhone, either. Just a plain cell. I guess that makes me just a plain guy. :mellow: