• The KillerFrogs

2314 finally on line at home!

2314@work

Contributor
Finally! Now I can 2314 from home :tongue:
Can anyone explain the download limits required by providers? Kind of strange.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ Aug 6 2010, 06:21 PM) [snapback]608657[/snapback]
2314 did you try the Verizon cards?

My Mac OSX Version 10.4 won't support it. Tried everything to avoid satelite. Not only more expensive, but also has bandwidth limits.

tcumaniac

welcome back sir! that really sucks you had to get satellite internet! way too expensive and not very reliable! :sad:

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(2314 @ Aug 6 2010, 06:31 PM) [snapback]608659[/snapback]
My Mac OSX Version 10.4 won't support it. Tried everything to avoid satelite. Not only more expensive, but also has bandwidth limits.

That sucks man. Its so pricey and slow but I guess since you had no other options you did what you had to do.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Double D @ Aug 6 2010, 06:30 PM) [snapback]608658[/snapback]
HughesNet???

Might find some answers here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat

Thanks, DD.
But I use Wild Blue. I looked at your link and it confused me. Especially the thread where the poster said he had 17 percent useage before he went to bed at 11p, and after no activity it was at 50 percent the next morning. :wacko:

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(2314 @ Aug 6 2010, 06:39 PM) [snapback]608668[/snapback]
Thanks, DD.
But I use Wild Blue. I looked at your link and it confused me. Especially the thread where the poster said he had 17 percent useage before he went to bed at 11p, and after no activity it was at 50 percent the next morning. :wacko:

Wild Blue is what my grandma has back home....

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ Aug 6 2010, 06:45 PM) [snapback]608670[/snapback]
Wild Blue is what my grandma has back home....

FOAP: That makes me feel so East Texas.

Maniac: What do you use at your house?

Double D

Tier 1
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wildblue

Just a place where folks can go to discuss their wildblue service, ask questions, get answers, etc.

QUOTE(2314 @ Aug 6 2010, 11:39 PM) [snapback]608668[/snapback]
Thanks, DD.

Frog_Fan71

Traditionally with ISP's that impose bandwidth limits, state that anything above and beyond your monthly allotted limit, you will be charged a nominal fee for bandwidth usage in metered blocks such as $10 per 100MB or something like that. I'd have to defer you to the contract you signed to see exactly what they charge. Most likely, since it is a satellite connection, they are pretty steep in what they charge per block.

Frog_Fan71

Also, a point of note...

It is wise to actually turn off your computer at night or disconnect the cable from it. Leaving the system running will allow programs that update automatically to continue to use the bandwidth while you sleep.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(SFA Frog @ Aug 6 2010, 06:54 PM) [snapback]608674[/snapback]
Speaking of East Texas, did you read this?

http://palestineherald.com/opinion/x206473...big-life-change

Thanks, SFA. He sent it to me the day it ran.
Scott is a good friend. He was a guest on my talk show several times when I worked in Palestine. In fact, Scott was on the show more times than any guest I had.
Now that makes two: My broadcast partner for Westwood games in '05, Greg Branch, left radio to coach at Cayuaga under our good friend Tommy Allison.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frog_Fan71 @ Aug 6 2010, 07:01 PM) [snapback]608678[/snapback]
Also, a point of note...

It is wise to actually turn off your computer at night or disconnect the cable from it. Leaving the system running will allow programs that update automatically to continue to use the bandwidth while you sleep.

Thanks for the advice.
No (get this), the penalty is a total shutdown of the system if I use up allotted bandwith - 30 day rolling period. Just totally shuts down until 30-day period (from first download) has expired. That's crazy. I would rather be charged.

Frog_Fan71

QUOTE(2314 @ Aug 6 2010, 07:10 PM) [snapback]608681[/snapback]
Thanks for the advice.
No (get this), the penalty is a total shutdown of the system if I use up allotted bandwith - 30 day rolling period. Just totally shuts down until 30-day period (from first download) has expired. That's crazy. I would rather be charged.

It sounds like they are using the same bandwidth allocation methods that frame relay uses. guaranteed delivery of all of your packets until you reach the max limit, then they are dropped.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frog_Fan71 @ Aug 6 2010, 07:40 PM) [snapback]608689[/snapback]
It sounds like they are using the same bandwidth allocation methods that frame relay uses. guaranteed delivery of all of your packets until you reach the max limit, then they are dropped.

but the penalty is a total loss of internet service

tcumaniac

QUOTE(2314 @ Aug 6 2010, 06:52 PM) [snapback]608672[/snapback]
FOAP: That makes me feel so East Texas.

Maniac: What do you use at your house?

i live a mile past the big cow on 1187. They just put in a big neighborhood across the street from mine a few years ago, which brought with it AT&T. That neighborhood was definitely a blessing. AT&T is fast and relatively inexpensive. Before that, our only option was satellite which was too expensive, so we used a sprint pcs internet card that 's typically meant for mobile internet on one's laptop. However, they make wireless routers that have internet card slots so we put the internet card in the router and had wireless internet though that and it worked on my mac fine. However, the sprint internet card was very undependable and would stop working for days at a time.