• The KillerFrogs

2023 TCU football schedule

LVH

Not starting 7-0 would be a huge disappointment

Colorado, even with Deion Sanders, will still be a dumpster fire week 1

Nicholls is a layup

Houston had a bad season last year, has not found their footing with Dana, and enters the Big 12 on a downward trajectory

SMU at home is a game we have no business losing

WVU at home, a team that has issues and no confidence in their coach, at home is a game we should not lose

Iowa State on the road is not a layup by any means but how quickly will they be able to right the ship?

BYU is like Houston, entering the Big 12 on a downward trajectory and has been very very average since COVID year

The last 5 games are tough but the table is set to start the season hot

LVH

I know we're all supposed to immediately analyze the difficulty of the schedule, but there are almost certainly a couple teams on there that we don't think will be that tough that will end up being very good and a couple that we think are going to be very tough games that end up being a cakewalk. That's the way it goes with almost every schedule every year. Trying to determine SOS on January 30 is a fool's errand but of course what the hell else are we going to talk about on here so I get it.

I know that there's a lot of momentum with thinking Tech will be really good next year. Maybe they will. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they're the exact same Tech team that they've been for about the last 7 years and we roll in there and win handily. We're also all assuming that OU will be back to the old OU. And again, maybe they will. But if Dillon Gabriel is still their QB and that defense isn't light years better than what it was last year then that could also end up being not as difficult as we all think right now.

Of course in the interest of fairness I also have to consider the possibility that maybe TCU ends up not being as good as we all hope and none of this [ Finebaum ] matters anyway. Regardless, one thing we know for certain is that Texas will be an easy W.
I see no evidence as to why BYU or Houston will improve from last year. UH is losing Tune and Dell from a team that was pure ass last year, and BYU has been very average under Sitake outside of the Mickey Mouse COVID year where they didn't play any P5 teams. Those two will need to make MAJOR strides to even get to bowl eligibility. In fact, I expect all 4 newcomers to really struggle since all of them are entering the league on a downward trajectory.

I think WVU needed to make a coaching change, and didn't. For all we know they could fire Neal Brown by the time we play them.

Dykes was talking about Iowa State as one of those teams we should never lose to because we will always have a more talented roster. Obviously the team we had last year that beat them like a drum is not going to be the team we send to Ames in October but from what I saw from Iowa State they have a long way to go.

Every team I could realistically see contending for the Big 12 title in 2023 - Kansas State, Texas, and Oklahoma - are the games I expect to be the toughest for us. I would be stunned if the Big 12 champ is not one of those 3 or us. The other teams have too far to go, and no coaching change or massive recruiting haul to enter the upper echelon. I'm not buying McGuire as a coach who can take Tech to the upper tier. And Baylor seems to have lost all their mojo from 2021 already.

TCURiggs

Anyone saying we “should” be 7-0 is setting themselves up for disappointment. We all hope to be 7-0 but that’s going to very very difficult.

Not trying to be a jerk (is this like Ricky Bobby pre-empting with "with all due respect"?), but how many losses do you think we "should" see in the first 7? I realize saying "we were just a National Championship team" seems weird, and we caught a bit of lightning in a bottle," but it wasn't all an accident.

We lost a Heisman finalist, although he didn't start because he didn't win the job to the guy that's coming back, and we lost a lot of experience on the OL, although we return some and added a 5-star. We also lost a 1st round WR and a stud RB but added a couple of 4/5 stars there and have/had a lot of talent behind them/coming in, and we're returning a lot on defense, added some talent there (Brooks returning is another big one), and it'll be an extra year in this new system. That's not to mention just trusting Sonny, Kaz, Joe, and the whole crew, but how many games do you think we should expect to drop in the first 7?

At this point I think I'd be disappointed if we are worse than 6-1 in the first 7, and "should" have a great shot at being 7-0. I know you also hate the KB hire, so maybe that's playing into your comments, but those first 7 should be W's, IMO.

KTown Frog

@ Iowa State is always a difficult one for us. I know the last 5 are tough but getting Texas and Baylor at home is big. The tough one is obviously OU and potentially having to beat them two weeks in a row if it works out for the Big 12 Championship.

Eight

I’ll be hacked if someone loses their job over this. Del Conte leaked the secret ticket code that allowed Lupton to be covered with Aggies……and laughed about it. People do stupid stuff. Get over it.

seriously what difference does 16-hours makes on this?

where there contracts that hadn't been formalized?

maybe they were going to launch something and if so it really doesn't make sense someone decided to leak it, but then again so what?

Limey Frog

... And Baylor seems to have lost all their mojo from 2021 already.
Maybe we'll lose ours that quickly and they'll right the ship the way we did in 2022. Who knows?

I think TCU will be pretty good again, but when you've gone 12-0 with numerous one-score wins in which you had your share of good fortune, you're going to be worse next year. Speaking only situationally, 9-3 would be a decent year.

I agree that Texas, OU, K-State, TCU, Tech, and maybe Baylor are the teams most likely to compete for the title next year. I wish we had OSU; I think they're going to be a disaster.

LVH

OU goes 6-6

Texas has a leaked schedule on Twitter. If it's true, Texas plays 4 straight weeks as follows:

at UCF
at Cincy
at BYU
vs Houston

Hilarious if true.
I've read they have a road game at Houston on October 21, so I doubt that schedule is true

Also UCF social media is grumbling that they don't get either UT or OU at home

Outback Frog

Thursday night at Lubbock will be tough. Those fans will be liquored up big time. Will be a very hostile environment.
Been to a lot of games in Lubbock. They will be liquored up, but it would be way worse if it was on Saturday. Definitely going to be hostile no matter what. Tech hates TCU more than any other school in the conference. TCU basically replaced aggy in that regard.

Wexahu

I don't understand what makes this schedule so particularly difficult, relative to what it could have been.

There's all this talk about how there are no easy outs in the Big 12, so if that is the case, what real difference does it make if we don't play KU, OSU and Cincy vs any other three teams? Plus, we get that late season bye that everyone thinks is so important.

Wexahu

Been to a lot of games in Lubbock. They will be liquored up, but it would be way worse if it was on Saturday. Definitely going to be hostile no matter what. Tech hates TCU more than any other school in the conference. TCU basically replaced aggy in that regard.
I'll mention this again, how liquored up the crowd is and whether the game is at night, or 11:00, or on Thursday, friday or Saturday is stuff is WAAAAAYYY overrated. There is a huge difference between how important that stuff seems to fans and how much it makes a difference relative to who wins the game.

There is no materially greater home field advantage for Tech when they play at night on Saturday than any other home field advantage in the country. That is pure myth, based on maybe a couple of outcomes over the past 30 years.

ReedFrawg

Not trying to be a jerk (is this like Ricky Bobby pre-empting with "with all due respect"?), but how many losses do you think we "should" see in the first 7? I realize saying "we were just a National Championship team" seems weird, and we caught a bit of lightening in a bottle," but it wasn't all an accident.

We lost a Heisman finalist, although he didn't start because he didn't win the job to the guy that's coming back, and we lost a lot of experience on the OL, although we return some and added a 5-star. We also lost a 1st round WR and a stud RB but added a couple of 4/5 stars there and have/had a lot of talent behind them/coming in, and we're returning a lot on defense, added some talent there (Brooks returning is another big one), and it'll be an extra year in this new system. That's not to mention just trusting Sonny, Kaz, Joe, and the whole crew, but how many games do you think we should expect to drop in the first 7?

At this point I think I'd be disappointed if we are worse than 6-1 in the first 7, and "should" have a great shot at being 7-0. I know you also hate the KB hire, so maybe that's playing into your comments, but those first 7 should be W's, IMO.

Nothing to do with Briles...everything to do with lots of new pieces to the puzzle. Of course I hope we are 7-0 and I know we are capable but expecting a 7-0 start is just asking for disappointment. We could drop 1 or 2 that we shouldn't and still have a great season. Based on my experience...people underestimate the transition time when there will be lots of changes in personnel, new offense, etc. Just trying to temper expectations as it might take some time to gel.