• The KillerFrogs

2023 Recruiting Thread

Eight

Quinn Ewers was the #1 recruit in the country in 2021, a perfect 5-star, which suggests that he is very talented and maybe they are choosing to develop him. Though it would be unscrupulous, maybe they committed to Ewers knowing Card would not get a fair shot.

On paper—
Hudson Card was a high four-star recruit in 2020—the #2 dual-threat QB in the country. Maybe a bit premature to doubt him being he has not played much—only 194 career pass attempts and in this small sample size his stats show good improvement from 2021 to 2022. His stats this year are very good—69% completions, 928 yards, 6 TD’s, 1 pick. He also has good size at 6’2” which is something TCU’s top two prospects do not have. Seems on paper that he has great upside potential with two years of eligibility remaining.

I would think TCU might welcome him, but he probably is looking for a place where he feels almost certain he can win the starting spot, and with Morris and Jackson present he might not want TCU.

View attachment 12900
View attachment 12901

the biggest knock on card is that many believe he doesn't have much upside

he is a byproduct of being a good athlete that played in a high school offense that is run from pee wee flag football up through junior high and into high school

when you are a high school quarterback at lake travis you have already made those throws hundreds of times before you ever were in high school coming up through their system which puts you a step or two ahead of your high school peers (except for westlake for the last few years)

could be take off in dykes' system? maybe, but if the frogs are taking a quarterback this year be it a signee or a transfer i would take the kid from dripping springs over card but that is just me

Wexahu

the biggest knock on card is that many believe he doesn't have much upside

he is a byproduct of being a good athlete that played in a high school offense that is run from pee wee flag football up through junior high and into high school

when you are a high school quarterback at lake travis you have already made those throws hundreds of times before you ever were in high school coming up through their system which puts you a step or two ahead of your high school peers (except for westlake for the last few years)

could be take off in dykes' system? maybe, but if the frogs are taking a quarterback this year be it a signee or a transfer i would take the kid from dripping springs over card but that is just me
Really not much different than Ewers. SLC kids are pretty much in the same system from middle school on too. Not exactly sure if Ewers lived there all those years but I'm a bit skeptical about players coming from programs like that, especially QBs. They probably face real pressure from a defense in high stress situations maybe 2-3 times a year, mostly it's just dropping back and figuring out which open guy you want to throw to.

HornyWartyToad

listing snead in that group is not quite the same situation as the others
It is in terms of supporting my point- which is, there have been quite a few "Texas's trash," QBs (as the prior poster put it), who were obviously talented enough to have substantial success elsewhere. Snead was one of the best QBs in the SEC at Ole Miss(rated #2 behind Tebow), and probably would have been the best had he stayed another year- He was projected as a mid-round draft pick and chose to come out early.
Point being, all these guys who have been considered "not good enough," at UT, have gone on in most cases to have better careers than the guy who beat them out. Smells an awful lot like a coaching issue, rather than a talent deficiency. Put another way: Does anybody think Max would have done what he has done this year, without the coaching change?
I have no idea if Sonny & Co will go after Card, but I won't be surprised at all if he is much more successful somewhere else where they actually put in the effort to develop him.

One Frog Nation

"OU hit the unlock button on Murray. ""Coach Lincoln Riley""
Max Duggan, QB, TCU hit the unlock button. ""QB Coach Garret Riley""
Do you think the Riley's have found the BUTTON?

One thing for SURE...TCU BETTER OPEN UP THE BANK ON RILEY, MEACHAM, Ra' SHAAD SAMPLES, UZO and for SURE!!!! ....KAZ!!. And WHILE THE BANK IS OPEN, BETTER OPEN TWO BANKS FOR JOE GILLESPIE! He'll be prime very soon!. Then there's A.J., BUCKLES, PAUL GONZALES,TONY JONES, jR., KEELLEY, MCFARLAND, AND Mark Tommerdahl. THIS IS THE BEST STAFF tcu HAS ever, ever HAD IN THE 50 YEARS.
One thing, probably the most important unsung HERO of the bunch........KAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
looks like we already lost out on Samples, as he has been the Rams RB coach all year. he left TCU in March

Eight

It is in terms of supporting my point- which is, there have been quite a few "Texas's trash," QBs (as the prior poster put it), who were obviously talented enough to have substantial success elsewhere. Snead was one of the best QBs in the SEC at Ole Miss(rated #2 behind Tebow), and probably would have been the best had he stayed another year- He was projected as a mid-round draft pick and chose to come out early.
Point being, all these guys who have been considered "not good enough," at UT, have gone on in most cases to have better careers than the guy who beat them out. Smells an awful lot like a coaching issue, rather than a talent deficiency. Put another way: Does anybody think Max would have done what he has done this year, without the coaching change?
I have no idea if Sonny & Co will go after Card, but I won't be surprised at all if he is much more successful somewhere else where they actually put in the effort to develop him.

who callled snead trash and everyone wanted snead for his physical talent

he got beat out by colt mccoy and depending upon who you talk to he either left after that season or before the end, but no one that i know of who is a horn ever questioned the physical talent

gilbert got run out of austin because he didn't live up to their expectations and they couldn't get past the disappointment of the national title game loss to alabama

rising never really got a chance because they had austin's own in sam

tetonfrog

If CSD does not want Card fine, but we need to bring in another transfer QB. I don’t want to be like OU, lose my starting QB & have to Wildcat against my rival. Their season went to the dogs when we knocked Gabriel out for a few weeks.

Some of "Texas's trash," (QBs who didn't win the job at UT)from the last decade or so:

Garrett Gilbert - NE Patriots QB(current)
Jevan Snead - Tampa Bay Bucs QB (former)
Shane Buechele - KC Chiefs QB(current)
Cam Rising - Utah Utes QB(current) and last year's 1st-team All-Pac 12 QB

I wouldn't hate having such "trash" littering our roster.
They left UT so not trash smart!

What I meant is if we get a Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, LSU transfer I automatically think they are going to be great. Texas not so much anymore.

Wexahu

What I meant is if we get a Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, LSU transfer I automatically think they are going to be great. Texas not so much anymore.
I prefer the kid from a smaller school that has proven himself and wants a chance to play in the big time....like Josh Newton and Alan Ali, over a kid that went to a big time school and couldn't get playing time.

I honestly think, all things considered, that might be the better well to draw from. And it sucks that those smaller schools get poached like that, but that's the system they've created, gotta play that game.

HornyWartyToad

I look at it differently. The huge schools that stockpile starsies create a problem for themselves in that they have so much talent on hand they don't know what to do with it all. Texas, in particular, continually has top rated recruiting classes, but can't translate it to the on-field product. That manifests itself most prominently at the QB position where the pressure is so great to show immediate results that nobody gets a chance to develop. They continue to get the High School QBs everybody wants, and probably always will.
Georgia has had a really nice handful of transfer QBs that have gone on to do well elsewhere, but none of those other teams you listed have.
You can't develop as a college qb without reps. And at UT, if you don't produce early and win constantly, you don't get the reps. So they've had a ton of guys come through there who had the talent, but never got the opportunity to develop because the fan base and the big donors who run the program demand that the next shiny toy waiting in the wings gets the starting job. . . Wash, rinse, repeat.
SO- What I believe that means in terms of the QB portal is, Texas has had, and will continue to have, QBs who have abundant talent but can't see the field and wind up being developed elsewhere into top-tier College QBs and in some cases NFL QBs. So to me, it's a really attractive talent pool to mine at that position.

Last edited: