• The KillerFrogs

2023 Recruiting Thread

Dennis Dodd on Georgia, TCU and Big 12 in an Aggie interview—

Georgia currently rules the world. This isn't just an A&M problem. It's also an Alabama problem and an LSU problem. Georgia is that far ahead of everyone else.

I do think TCU could flirt with the playoffs year in and year out. The run exposed what they need to do. They need to get better on the defensive line. They got run over by Georgia. TCU is part of the reason the Big 12 got a bigger TV contract because media companies thought TCU, Oklahoma State and Baylor could be competitive on a national scale. Who are going to be those teams in the new Big 12 that will compete on a national scale? BYU, UCF and Cincinnati have made runs. Who will be the dominant teams?

fanatical frog

Dennis Dodd on Georgia, TCU and Big 12 in an Aggie interview—

Georgia currently rules the world. This isn't just an A&M problem. It's also an Alabama problem and an LSU problem. Georgia is that far ahead of everyone else.

I do think TCU could flirt with the playoffs year in and year out. The run exposed what they need to do. They need to get better on the defensive line. They got run over by Georgia. TCU is part of the reason the Big 12 got a bigger TV contract because media companies thought TCU, Oklahoma State and Baylor could be competitive on a national scale. Who are going to be those teams in the new Big 12 that will compete on a national scale? BYU, UCF and Cincinnati have made runs. Who will be the dominant teams?

Gonna be interesting. I liked Cincinnati with Luke Fickle.....but not so much without him....although Ohio has more than their share of good recruits. BYU has good history but needs to make a coaching change. Gus Malzahn at UCF brings a very good resume and UCF will get most of the good recruits that won't get accepted at Florida and Florida State.....they might be the emerging team among the newcomers. UH should be good (fertile recruiting area) but might be middle of the pack at best with their current coach.

The B12 appears to be a well balanced conference at the moment. Baylor will be very good as long as the can keep Dave Aranda....same with Kansas State. Texas Tech is a tough out. All of those could be contenders.

Bottom line, I see TCU and UCF along with Baylor (from '24 on) as having the most sustainable programs for as long as those coaching staffs are in place. After those three, this conference will have a bunch of tough outs.

82 Frog Fever

Gonna be interesting. I liked Cincinnati with Luke Fickle.....but not so much without him....although Ohio has more than their share of good recruits. BYU has good history but needs to make a coaching change. Gus Malzahn at UCF brings a very good resume and UCF will get most of the good recruits that won't get accepted at Florida and Florida State.....they might be the emerging team among the newcomers. UH should be good (fertile recruiting area) but might be middle of the pack at best with their current coach.

The B12 appears to be a well balanced conference at the moment. Baylor will be very good as long as the can keep Dave Aranda....same with Kansas State. Texas Tech is a tough out. All of those could be contenders.

Bottom line, I see TCU and UCF along with Baylor (from '24 on) as having the most sustainable programs for as long as those coaching staffs are in place. After those three, this conference will have a bunch of tough outs.
OK State will stay near the top.

82 Frog Fever

Based on boosters & overall program? With the current coaching/recruiting staff? They seem vulnerable after having been solid for a long time.
If you mean vulnerable for a couple years, yes.
They have five 10+ win seasons out of the last 10 seasons, including 12 wins & a top 10 finish just 1 year ago.
They‘ll be near the top over the long run.

JogginFrog

If you mean vulnerable for a couple years, yes.
They have five 10+ win seasons out of the last 10 seasons, including 12 wins & a top 10 finish just 1 year ago.
They‘ll be near the top over the long run.
You're saying they'll be good because they've been good. Guess I was looking for something more. Do you see Gundy recovering, or will they need new leadership?

82 Frog Fever

You're saying they'll be good because they've been good. Guess I was looking for something more. Do you see Gundy recovering, or will they need new leadership?
Something more? What are you looking at that can’t be fixed over the next 2-3 years?
I’m looking at a team that was 7-6 this year and hasn’t had a losing season since 2005, which no other B12 team can say.
Nice facilities and a crap load of money.
The trend says they’ll get thru this.

ticketfrog123

Something more? What are you looking at that can’t be fixed over the next 2-3 years?
I’m looking at a team that was 7-6 this year and hasn’t had a losing season since 2005, which no other B12 team can say.
Nice facilities and a crap load of money.
The trend says they’ll get thru this.
Their big donor recently passed away and they chased off an entire 2 deep of WR. Don’t have any good QBs from what I saw.

2023 could be ugly. Real quick for them

82 Frog Fever

Their big donor recently passed away and they chased off an entire 2 deep of WR. Don’t have any good QBs from what I saw.

2023 could be ugly. Real quick for them
For ‘23 OSU’s athletic budget is $100m. By comparison TCU’s is $60m.
They’re also just beginning a $60m stadium renovation.

Yup, they have big challenges for a couple years.
I believe Alan Bowman, the former Texas Tech QB, will be OSU’s new QB, and they got a couple of pretty good receivers from WASU & Iowa in the portal so far.

Last edited:

Eight

an update from gabe brooks at 247 on tcu defensive line prospect zach chapman:

"Fort Bend (Texas) Marshall defensive lineman and TCU signee Zachary Chapman enjoyed an encouraging senior season to raise his final 247Sports ranking from a three-star 86 to the highest three-star grade of 89. Chapman produced his best season statistically in 2022, when he recorded 80 tackles, 18 1/2 tackles for loss, and 7 1/2 sacks. Chapman is one of the more physically gifted defensive line prospects in TXHSFB's 2023 class, a legitimately 6-foot-5, 250-plus with long arms and immense frame potential. Chapman, who has also competed in the discus, possesses high-ceiling long-term upside given his physical tools, two-sport background, and functional athleticism on the field."

What Up Toad

an update from gabe brooks at 247 on tcu defensive line prospect zach chapman:

"Fort Bend (Texas) Marshall defensive lineman and TCU signee Zachary Chapman enjoyed an encouraging senior season to raise his final 247Sports ranking from a three-star 86 to the highest three-star grade of 89. Chapman produced his best season statistically in 2022, when he recorded 80 tackles, 18 1/2 tackles for loss, and 7 1/2 sacks. Chapman is one of the more physically gifted defensive line prospects in TXHSFB's 2023 class, a legitimately 6-foot-5, 250-plus with long arms and immense frame potential. Chapman, who has also competed in the discus, possesses high-ceiling long-term upside given his physical tools, two-sport background, and functional athleticism on the field."

On3 really likes Zach. They have him as the 112th best player in the nation.