• The KillerFrogs

2023 Recruiting Thread

ReedFrawg

He is gone.

I don’t get why anyone thinks Max is gone? Objectively most NFL Draft rating sites have him as a very late round pick at best. Most say UDFA. He will come back to get his draft stock up. A second great year and he’ll be a top round pick as opposed to fighting for a roster practice squad.

His stock will never be higher...if he wants to give it a shot then now is the time.

Frogfam4

I don’t get why anyone thinks Max is gone? Objectively most NFL Draft rating sites have him as a very late round pick at best. Most say UDFA. He will come back to get his draft stock up. A second great year and he’ll be a top round pick as opposed to fighting for a roster practice squad.
Just read a report that has Duggan saying he will have to make a decision soon if he will return next season. Soon as in before playoffs or after?

puckster59

Honest question. Has anyone ever heard Max say he's interested in playing at the next level? I know he'd be able to, but man he would make a PHENOMENAL coach. He's cool, unflappable, a "student of the game", and a motivational leader.

Obviously it'd be a waste of talent if he didn't go pro, but I've never heard him talk about it or even heard people mention it the way I've head about QJ and KM and the others.
I may be wrong but I don’t remember Andy Dalton talking a lot about it either. The talk I remember most were all the people who said he wasn’t NFL material. Max may give it a shot and wind up coaching. I don’t profess to know what he’s going to do. He hasn’t consulted me. But I think with his speed and what seems to be pretty good arm strength, he could at least grade well.

Bob Sugar

I may be wrong but I don’t remember Andy Dalton talking a lot about it either. The talk I remember most were all the people who said he wasn’t NFL material. Max may give it a shot and wind up coaching. I don’t profess to know what he’s going to do. He hasn’t consulted me. But I think with his speed and what seems to be pretty good arm strength, he could at least grade well.
There are a bunch of crappy QBs, as compared to the handful of elite QBs on NFL rosters. You would never be able to convince me that Cooper Rush has a better skill set than Duggan.

Wexahu

MD has the physical skills for sure, so he has that going for him. Maybe isn't as tall as some teams would like, but he's not short and he's not slight.

I think if he were head to the NFL he'll get drafted higher than the current projections.

Rumors that Carrington is headed to ASU apparently Samples will be joining him there as well… how much does this hurt us in recruiting & portal?
Was wondering the same thing. Riley linked in a few places with OC job at A&M and both he and Gillespie have been in HC rumor mill. Feels like we're going to be trying to build a new staff while getting ready for the playoff and trying to hold on to recruits.

Last edited:

Frogfam4

Was wondering the same thing. Riley linked heavily with OC job at A&M and both he and Gillespie have been in HC rumor mill. Feels like we're going to be trying to build a new staff while getting ready for the playoff and trying to hold on to recruits.
Why would Riley go to the dumpster fire at AM? That is a place that I would steer clear. I see him going to be a head coach not go to AM as OC. Yes its "SEC" but they will not be good.

McFroggin

He is going to the Combine and has a chance to raise his grading. He loses QJ and Miller next year here. Those are incredibly hard pieces to replace. He got TCU to the playoffs and will be forever remembered.

He is a great kid and I wish him the best. Unless something huge changes, his family says it’s time for the NFL.

Frogfam4

He is going to the Combine and has a chance to raise his grading. He loses QJ and Miller next year here. Those are incredibly hard pieces to replace. He got TCU to the playoffs and will be forever remembered.

He is a great kid and I wish him the best. Unless something huge changes, his family says it’s time for the NFL.
I agree with that, but he said it. He wants to bring a championship too TCU. If they get beat, I think he comes back to at least get the Big 12 championship next year. Yes QJ and miller gone, but still a lot of weapons on offense coming back or coming in and a defense that will have a year of learning and running. TCU means more to him than the NFL from what I have seen and heard.

Wexahu

I agree with that, but he said it. He wants to bring a championship too TCU. If they get beat, I think he comes back to at least get the Big 12 championship next year. Yes QJ and miller gone, but still a lot of weapons on offense coming back or coming in and a defense that will have a year of learning and running. TCU means more to him than the NFL from what I have seen and heard.
He will go to the NFL and we will still be in very good shape at the QB position next year.

That is my prediction.

LisaLT

Was wondering the same thing. Riley linked heavily with OC job at A&M and both he and Gillespie have been in HC rumor mill. Feels like we're going to be trying to build a new staff while getting ready for the playoff and trying to hold on to recruits.
That's not even a lateral move. That's a downgrade for sure. Seems crazy for the staff to leave after one year. TCU needs to make sure that doesn't happen, if possible.

froginaustin

Why would Riley go to the dumpster fire at AM? That is a place that I would steer clear. I see him going to be a head coach not go to AM as OC. Yes its "SEC" but they will not be good.

I thought Jimbo was essentially his own offensive coordinator. There are definitely pluses and minuses to a situation like that. PLUS if the job pays enough to make a life-changing difference (hard to see that; but it could happen). PLUS if the offense is a world-beater and a good resume line for that reason. MINUS if the OC is seen by the football world as basically a personal assistant to the head coach/OC (and the offense isn't stellar). MINUS if the OC is set up to be the fall guy for the head coach's ineffective offense. MINUS if A'nM craps the bed so badly (again) that it's a laughing stock (again), particularly if the OC gets blamed for offense-failure.

I expect Riley to leave, maybe soon. I hope he sticks around 1 more year. He may have a long(er) term future at TCU if he wants it.

Eight

I thought Jimbo was essentially his own offensive coordinator. There are definitely pluses and minuses to a situation like that. PLUS if the job pays enough to make a life-changing difference (hard to see that; but it could happen). PLUS if the offense is a world-beater and a good resume line for that reason. MINUS if the OC is seen by the football world as basically a personal assistant to the head coach/OC (and the offense isn't stellar). MINUS if the OC is set up to be the fall guy for the head coach's ineffective offense. MINUS if A'nM craps the bed so badly (again) that it's a laughing stock (again), particularly if the OC gets blamed for offense-failure.

I expect Riley to leave, maybe soon. I hope he sticks around 1 more year. He may have a long(er) term future at TCU if he wants it.

he is and here lies the problem

the ags are asking the 80+ million dollar man to give up scheme, design, and play calling of the offense and basically sit on his hands

what could possibly go wrong?

LisaLT

he is and here lies the problem

the ags are asking the 80+ million dollar man to give up scheme, design, and play calling of the offense and basically sit on his hands

what could possibly go wrong?
Im Fine On Fire GIF by Travis

CountryFrog

Linked by whom? Aggie supporters who WANT it to happen or anyone who actually has any ounce of credibility?

And obviously his name and Gillespie are going to come up with HC vacancies, especially at G5 schools. We all knew the names would be thrown around all over the place. That was expected. Doesn't mean they're going anywhere this year.