• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

tcufrogprince1

so who takes over the men's national team because in my uneducated eyes there is a talented core of players, but the next 4 years are way, way too valuable to keep the same leadership and direction
I'm not a fan of you, but 100% agree. Berhalter was terrible. They got rid of Klinsman for his style and all they did was hire a Klinsman wanna be light. The team needs to get back to its never die American mentality and stick with the formations that kids grow up playing. He also took zero credible strikers and the fitness was piss ass.

Chongo94

Read yesterday or today that when the USA went out of the cup, it had crossed more times than any other team in the tournament and by a pretty good margin.

Now, I know he was in pretty bad form coming in, but how in the world, if you are planning on playing that way and using the wings and crossing heavily, do you not bring Pefok in??

Purp

Read yesterday or today that when the USA went out of the cup, it had crossed more times than any other team in the tournament and by a pretty good margin.

Now, I know he was in pretty bad form coming in, but how in the world, if you are planning on playing that way and using the wings and crossing heavily, do you not bring Pefok in??
And how do you start Ferreira against the Dutch marking him with van Dijk? Darning ridiculous. The Dutch played 3 across the back. Spread them out with the speed of Jedi and Dest to create space for Musah, CP10, Weah, and Gio run right through them. You attack it in waves. Crosses like that are lazy and totally uncreative, especially when you don't have the personnel selected to win those crosses.

Purp

And how do you start Ferreira against the Dutch marking him with van Dijk? Darning ridiculous. The Dutch played 3 across the back. Spread them out with the speed of Jedi and Dest to create space for Musah, CP10, Weah, and Gio run right through them. You attack it in waves. Crosses like that are lazy and totally uncreative, especially when you don't have the personnel selected to win those crosses.
Adding to this... Crosses are most dangerous when they're played early. It's like when Aaron Rodgers rushes a snap to catch the defense with 12 men. If you play a cross with the first touch or a quick 2nd touch your teammate has the advantage on it bc it's played early enough that the defense is still in retreat. Almost every time our crosses were wasted bc they were played after allowing the on-ball defender time to contest, which disrupted the quality of the cross and allowed the central defense to get well positioned as if it were a corner kick.

I love a good cross more than anyone. That's how I've been effective on the pitch for 30 years. But you're just wasting an opportunity to create a chance to score if you make late crosses. Just like any other pass in a possession you have to do it when you have a numerical advantage and high likelihood to complete that pass.

Eight

gather this is akin to having a basketball team hoisting 3's as a key component of their offense, but not having any good 3-point shooters on the team?

Chongo94

gather this is akin to having a basketball team hoisting 3's as a key component of their offense, but not having any good 3-point shooters on the team?
I
Pretty much. I mean Sargent is decent at it and Wright is big but neither are really out and out target men like Pefok is.

Moose Stuff

Answer seems obvious.

Purp

More like a basketball team throwing alley oop lobs to a 5'9" PG being defended by Dikembe Mutombo.

Chongo94

3rd straight WC Brazil has been knocked out in the quarterfinals.
I never completely understood why they were anointed as favorites for this cup. Yeah, they have some good players but they haven’t done well (by their standards) in major competitions in a while…and their defensive triumvirate of Silva, Casemiro, and Marquinhos are kinda old and shaky at times.

‘Course, Croatia are almost ancient by many standards.

Last edited:

dawg

That Croatia equalizer… that penalty shootout… Football bloody hell.

Croatia, with a population ~ 2m less than DFW, has produced enough high-level footballers to head to its second consecutive semi and third since 1998.

I was entertained. Netherlands - Argentina s should be tasty as well.

Edit: learn to spell and get the matches correct, dumb ass.

Last edited: