• The KillerFrogs

2022 Recruiting Thread

FrogBall09

Enhanced with insane talent. Skip Bertman said on many interviews they played for the same 3 HR anyone else like……..TCU could have done.
Compare the 2 stadiums back then.
Things have changed so much in baseball recruiting from a geographic perspective- especially for TCU

I remember when I showed up for my first team meeting and met Greg Holle - at the time it seemed crazy some giant from New York ended up at TCU to play baseball

I think we were much more limited in who we were able to get to campus

Now it almost seems more out of place when we get a true local kid

Moose Stuff

Things have changed so much in baseball recruiting from a geographic perspective- especially for TCU

I remember when I showed up for my first team meeting and met Greg Holle - at the time it seemed crazy some giant from New York ended up at TCU to play baseball

I think we were much more limited in who we were able to get to campus

Now it almost seems more out of place when we get a true local kid
The cost of attendance and scholarships limits have forced to TCU to recruit nationally. The pool of kids they can realistically get has just been so much smaller than the state schools because of that. NIL will change that to our benefit.

FrogBall09

The cost of attendance and scholarships limits have forced to TCU to recruit nationally. The pool of kids they can realistically get has just been so much smaller than the state schools because do that. NIL will change that to our benefit.
I also think our brand is much larger geographically now then when I played

Cost of attendance may push us to cast a wider net but without the success, there is no way you would be convincing the number of kids we have coming in from out of state to come to TCU to play

Moose Stuff

I also think our brand is much larger geographically now then when I played

Cost of attendance may push us to cast a wider net but without the success, there is no way you would be convincing the number of kids we have coming in from out of state to come to TCU to play
No doubt that’s true. I played from 89-94 and I’m not sure we had even one non Texas kid on the team when I first got there.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
The TCU Diamond was good enough back in those days. In fact IMO it was as good or better than much of the SWC. Old Clark field at UT was novel and historic, but a dump by today's standards. Baylor, Rice, Tech were crap holes. Especially Baylor. Then there was SMU. It was literally an empty lot behind some dorms. TCU's big purple center field wall was cool for the day and the playing surface a hell of a lot better than much of the conference. Nothing special...just different times. Simple.
R.c2c2d8035488ffc659f0883722461710

PurplFrawg

Administrator
What year is this from? Pretty amazing photo given what it looks like today. Looks like the ACS west side is almost under construction or something.
Not sure. Both Colby Hall and Milton Daniel are under construction. Alice Carlson looks totally different. I played a lot of basketball in that old gym behind Pete Wright, and handball/weights in the Little Gym. Probably saw @RufeBruton swimming in the mini-pool!

Palliative Care

Alice Carlson looked just like this when I went there. I played in the construction of those dorms. Things were not so restrictive on construction sites in those days. Great picture….