• The KillerFrogs

2022 Recruiting Thread

LisaLT

you shop your way and ....

SphericalRevolvingAdmiralbutterfly-max-1mb.gif
Yes!
speaking of great ideas, there are four very talented young men in so cal who didn't sign yet and happen to play positions that could definitely help the frogs roster so time for lisa t to break out the good pool furniture, open up the cabana and host killerfrogs version of the nwa wet and wild party

FdowBR.gif

sweat will fly out 3f's escrow attorney to lock these young men down
bring it
dance party dancing GIF by Chastity Belt
happy party GIF by Bachelorette Weekend on CMT

speaking of great ideas, there are four very talented young men in so cal who didn't sign yet and happen to play positions that could definitely help the frogs roster so time for lisa t to break out the good pool furniture, open up the cabana and host killerfrogs version of the nwa wet and wild party

FdowBR.gif

sweat will fly out 3f's escrow attorney to lock these young men down
Lets go
Dance Love GIF by Tricia  Grace
hot girl fashion GIF

Paint It Purple

45206499-267C-45D5-84E5-DE3F971A2D6B.jpeg55903F4F-77A5-44EC-86E0-BE28792EB8DB.jpegInteresting comparison between one program's recruiting class that also happens to be in the CFP, and TCU's class. Aside from the total signees, one could surmise their recruiting results as similar.

If TCU adds more players will their average score drop? Maybe. Probably. But, as it stands I'd say SD did okay.

Palliative Care

We need to get used to smaller recruiting classes and larger portal numbers. There is no term for this new “recruiting” style. So to quote a new coach I guess you could call it cruitin class.

FrogBall09

We need to get used to smaller recruiting classes and larger portal numbers. There is no term for this new “recruiting” style. So to quote a new coach I guess you could call it cruitin class.
well I am hoping this is only a trend while SD rebuilds and gets the type of players our new O and D schemes require. I think you see the more successful programs are still filling their recruiting classes with 25 HS players so they can keep their atmosphere and build a team. Those programs are using the portal to fill the 3-4 spots that they may have missed on a recruit once they got on campus or had injuries, etc. - not to build the core of their team.

I think even SD will get back to larger HS classes once he has time to establish where he wants his staff to focus both in DFW and outside of it.

Rebuilding your program out of the portal is basically the equivalent of going heavy JUCO in baseball - it will work at times but it can be a trend that is hard to stop if you do it too long.

Eight

well I am hoping this is only a trend while SD rebuilds and gets the type of players our new O and D schemes require. I think you see the more successful programs are still filling their recruiting classes with 25 HS players so they can keep their atmosphere and build a team. Those programs are using the portal to fill the 3-4 spots that they may have missed on a recruit once they got on campus or had injuries, etc. - not to build the core of their team.

I think even SD will get back to larger HS classes once he has time to establish where he wants his staff to focus both in DFW and outside of it.

Rebuilding your program out of the portal is basically the equivalent of going heavy JUCO in baseball - it will work at times but it can be a trend that is hard to stop if you do it too long.

the more successful programs you mention have also shown they are more than willing to pick up a transfer or three and address specific, immediate needs on their team such as bama has done, THE ohio state, michigan, etc...

they also have shown they are more than willing to churn out the parts of their recruiting classes that aren't fitting into the programs for whatever reason be it talent, commitment, academics etc...

the difference for dykes is he isn't having to patch one or two holes in the roster he inherited, but instead has gaping holes in a few quarter panels and is going to have to go get after market parts for now because the bondo and paint can't hide the rust anymore

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
"Stealing six recruits from SMU" doesn't exactly inspire a huge amount of confidence, considering. But, it's early, and there is much afoot that we have no knowledge of, which I am sure will be interesting. We shall see if our much ballyhooed "Recruiting Gurus" have it, or not.

The ultimate measure is, of course, wins. And we don't get that metric for quite a while. Any speculation or projection other than that is just what it is...

Eight

"Stealing six recruits from SMU" doesn't exactly inspire a huge amount of confidence, considering. But, it's early, and there is much afoot that we have no knowledge of, which I am sure will be interesting. We shall see if our much ballyhooed "Recruiting Gurus" have it, or not.

The ultimate measure is, of course, wins. And we don't get that metric for quite a while. Any speculation or projection other than that is just what it is...

considering smu has been better than tcu the past two seasons what is wrong with taking recruits from them?

Moose Stuff

It was actually 4 SMU recruits. 2 of them were among the top 30 players in the state and a 3rd wasn’t far behind.

y2kFrog

I know it sounds great in a Utopian world to build your team with HS recruits and win, but I don’t think it will be reality past the Alabama and Ohio States of the world. Heck, look at our basketball team. We have way better talent picking off the portal then we ever did getting High Schoolers.

CountryFrog

The 6 number is wrong. I believe it was actually 3 or 4. And 2 of those were guys that basically every school in America wanted, including TCU pre coaching change.

McFroggin

I think this is as inaccurate as can be. The average 4-5 star recruit isn’t starting at Bama, OSU, Clemson, etc year 1. NIL money will become about building a brand behind your name (see #1 recruit is getting from Deion Sanders). You can’t build a brand riding the bench.

Getting a 4* Bama transfer is much preferred over Juco. See OU with their QB history.

If we could become really good at it, we could almost stop taking hs kids and live on the portal as a top 10 team.

The way of building a team from the 2010’s is DEAD.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It was actually 4 SMU recruits. 2 of them were among the top 30 players in the state and a 3rd wasn’t far behind.
How very nice.

Why did they slip to SMU, and not attend Big State U? I cynically ask this because we have had our own Highly Ranked Recruits get signed and... Never heard from again. The Big Programs pass on them for reasons, reasons they may overcome, or not.

I have no idea what the circumstances are, or the character of the kids involved. Not. One. Clue. But I do know that Starsies don't really mean a damned thing once practice starts, and the guy who Dave Campbell told us was great winds up suffering from splinters in his butt. Or, in this Brave New World, has a good year and hits The Portal for fame and riches in the SEC.

Don't mind me. I am just Cynical Old Fart this morning. The amped-up mercenary nature of the NLI money-slinging, and Portal traipsing from Program to Program by one prima donna after another just turns me off.