• The KillerFrogs

2022 Recruiting Thread

Eight

I also don't think we should expect most freshman to make an impact, especially when we're going to have two good junior running backs.

he won't be a true running back and right now for tascosa when he lines up in the backfield it is actually on a wing.

frogs lose 3 slot receivers, return conwright and barkley (who has struggled to stay healthy, let alone make any significant impact) , and there is going to be a chance for someone to come in and make an impact at that position.

between he, golden, dj allen, and ajay allen i would imagine at least one freshman makes an impact in the frogs offense next year

not trying to be funny, but epps might have been running 100 yards back in his day. can't remember when texas made the switch from yards to meters. fastest running back since roscoe

the speed is legit no doubt and part of me is curious if he can push that time down further. he is in that range where it is similar to being a single digit handicap in golf. really, really tough trimming down anymore from this point.

as impressive as the 10.38 was at the amarillo meet, i really liked the time he ran at the regional meet (10.44) to qualify for state. no room for error, legit timing system, and wind was under 2 mph. think he went sub 10.5 4-5 times

the only concern i have about everhart running track next spring is his cutting weight instead of working to gain weight. not sure if he is one, but have seen a few who would drop 10-12 lbs in track season .

either way he has great potential and i think he is every bit as big a pick up for the frogs if not more so than the kid from spearman for texas
Epps ran meters. All the SWC tracks except Baylor were 400 meter tracks by 1977.

To run sub10.5 consistently at 17 is impressive. He can add weight and still get faster. The TCU weight room will make him faster. If he does not run the 400, his track workouts for the 100 & 200 will not cancel what he is gaining in the weight room.

Eight

Epps ran meters. All the SWC tracks except Baylor were 400 meter tracks by 1977.

To run sub10.5 consistently at 17 is impressive. He can add weight and still get faster. The TCU weight room will make him faster. If he does not run the 400, his track workouts for the 100 & 200 will not cancel what he is gaining in the weight room.

realize at college they were running in meters, but i seem to recall in the late 70's high schools were still running in yards and not sure when epps was at atlanta if he was running yards or meters

think after the uil did their "standardization" of times that derrick florence and not henry neal has the state record in the 100 m in the 10.1-2 range which will be interesting to see if everhart and/or thompson can threaten

Last edited:

Froggish

never understood the mindset of their offensive line recruiting when anderson has been the offensive line coach. they took 5 offensive linemen in 2020, but only 1 projected to the interior in barlow though i still have a feeling hayes ends up inside.

they land bolticoff in 2021 and they got a big assist from a former player to make that happen.

put that on top of coker, brown, and williams in 2019 that is 8 offensive linemen in 3 classes which is just not enough when you consider injuries, development time, transfers etc....

what really is frustrating is not only coker the only one of the 8 who has started, but the other 7 aren't getting regular playing time .

they have to hit the transfer market
If you can’t recruit five stars you better recruit a bunch of options. I guess JUCOs and Portal kids are going to be the way forward but those kids are going to be like gold if they are any good. We’ve got to figure out how to get better in the trenches in both sides. QB play and trench play defines CFB. RBs a d WRs come a dime a dozen

numerous frog recruits and the teams are having good seasons and while the frogs are only 1/3 of the way through their regular season their recruits are now starting the back half of their senior seasons.

the frogs newest and fastest commit is major everhart (rb/ath) amarillo tascosa 5-1 (2-0) face amarillo high 5-1 (2-0) in this cross town match up. both have a common opponent in midland legacy (aka lee) which beat tascosa by 3 and high by 30.

jaylon guilbeau (cb) and port arthur memorial 4-1(2-0) play galveston ball 2-3 (1-1) in a game between two regions that have produced more than their share of college and nfl talent over the year. memorial has not given up a point in district play.

dj allen (ath) and gladewater 3-2 (2-0) play the alma mater of another tcu frog this time atlanta 0-6 (0-2) which produced tcu football and track star philip epps

mathew golden (wr) and klein cain "travel" to the other side of klein high's parking lot to play klein forest 4-2 (0-2) one other player of note in this game is current frog ahmonte watkins' younger brother jelani watkins who is the leading receiver for forest and a 2023 recruit

joseph adedire (de) and mansfield summit 3-2 (2-0) play richland 4-1 (1-1)

cade mcconnell (ot) and choctaw 4-1 (2-0) face a test this week in bixby 5-0 (2-0) i have no idea how good this district is or how bad the bottom is, but bixby won their first two district games by a combined 152-6

ajay allen (rb/ath) and neville 4-1 open district play against franklin parrish 0-4

ja'dais richard (s) and west monroe 2-2 open district play vs alexandria 6-0 in a rematch of last year's state semi-final that alexandria won

trevon mcalpine (dt) and saraland #17 5-2 (4-0) host gulf shores 4-2 (2-2)

seth martin (ol) and everman 2-3 (1-1) play arlington seguin 2-2 (1-1)

finally, as crypto mentioned earlier, tevita noa (te) is sitting out the season at snow juco to graduate in december and have an extra season with the frogs
I don’t know where or how you get your information. Thank you for sharing it I enjoy reading it.

asleep003

he won't be a true running back and right now for tascosa when he lines up in the backfield it is actually on a wing.

frogs lose 3 slot receivers, return conwright and barkley (who has struggled to stay healthy, let alone make any significant impact) , and there is going to be a chance for someone to come in and make an impact at that position.

between he, golden, dj allen, and ajay allen i would imagine at least one freshman makes an impact in the frogs offense next year
Looking at the 2021 class, there could be a couple of players for slot depth help too.

realize at college they were running in meters, but i seem to recall in the late 70's high schools were still running in yards and not sure when epps was at atlanta if he was running yards or meters

think after the uil did their "standardization" of times that derrick florence and not henry neal has the state record in the 100 m in the 10.1-2 range which will be interesting to see if everhart and/or thompson can threaten
If you Google Darrell Green high school track, you will find that the high school’s website shows Green still holds the 100 “meter” for the school. Green and Epps both class of 1978, I think.

Epps and Green were explosive 10.1 second 100 meter guys, right before they went to the NFL. Tatum and Listenbee actually ran faster 100 meter times in college but their college and NFL careers pale and n comparison to those 2 East Texas kids.

You will be shocked to find Duggan ran a 21.6 second 200 meter his junior year in Iowa but I think he had a cyclone behind him.

CryptoMiner

not trying to be funny, but epps might have been running 100 yards back in his day. can't remember when texas made the switch from yards to meters. fastest running back since roscoe

the speed is legit no doubt and part of me is curious if he can push that time down further. he is in that range where it is similar to being a single digit handicap in golf. really, really tough trimming down anymore from this point.

as impressive as the 10.38 was at the amarillo meet, i really liked the time he ran at the regional meet (10.44) to qualify for state. no room for error, legit timing system, and wind was under 2 mph. think he went sub 10.5 4-5 times

the only concern i have about everhart running track next spring is his cutting weight instead of working to gain weight. not sure if he is one, but have seen a few who would drop 10-12 lbs in track season .

either way he has great potential and i think he is every bit as big a pick up for the frogs if not more so than the kid from spearman for texas

Switch to meters was phased in from 1975 to 1978 with 100 meter starting in 1976.

CryptoMiner

Henry Neal was a hand-timed 100m and UIL now only officially recognized electronically timed for records.

Eight

If you Google Darrell Green high school track, you will find that the high school’s website shows Green still holds the 100 “meter” for the school. Green and Epps both class of 1978, I think.

Epps and Green were explosive 10.1 second 100 meter guys, right before they went to the NFL. Tatum and Listenbee actually ran faster 100 meter times in college but their college and NFL careers pale and n comparison to those 2 East Texas kids.

You will be shocked to find Duggan ran a 21.6 second 200 meter his junior year in Iowa but I think he had a cyclone behind him.

all great, but that is not the official uil record for the state of texas that i referenced above with florence of ball high

not sure if i would call green and east texas kid coming from houston and playing at jones high

saw max' time in the 200m which i believe beat derius davis' time in the 200m out of lousiana

Eight

Henry Neal was a hand-timed 100m and UIL now only officially recognized electronically timed for records.

was there when the time on the clock at ut flashed 9.9 as the unofficial time and of course took the hand time.

for some reason as i mentioned the uil decided to "standardized" all handheld times which is why florence is now the record holder in the 100m

they also have converted distances in yards to meters for some stupid reason and changed a few states bests as well

Eight

a few frog recruits put up smaller numbers this week as their teams got off to big starts and the recruits playing time got reduced as their teams look ahead to bigger things and choctaw did something no other district team had done this year

matthew golden (wr) and klein cain 5-1 (3-0) rolled klein forest 63-24 (up 49-10 at half). golden had a slow night only catching 4 passes for 67 yards and 2 tds. he has for the season 46 catches for 835 yards and 10 td's. cain looks like they should roll through their remaining district opponents.

ajay allen (rb/ath) had a very slow night for him as neville 5-1 (1-0) got up big early (28-0) on winless franklin parrish and cruised to a 42-0 win. allen from what i could tell had 83 total yards and 2 td's for the night. here are some highlights from the game compliments of knoe channel 8 in monroe

staying in that part of the world west monroe 4-2 (2-0) had a big win over alexandria 28-14. this was west monroe's 99th straight district win (last district loss was in 2002) and as moose linked above ja'dais richard (s) had a huge night with a fumble recovery on a kick off, a blocked field goal before half, and a interception

616102ceabde8.image.jpg

attached below is another link to knoe channel 8 in monroe's high school recap on the west monroe game

https://www.knoe.com/2021/10/09/friday-night-blitz-2021-week-6-highlights/
major everhart (rb/ath) and amarillo tascosa 6-1 (3-0) beat crosstown rival amarillo 34-22. everhart for the night had 8 carries for 121 yards and 1 td (76 yards) linked below is kfda channel 10 amarillo's high school wrap up show and then a report from the amarillo paper on the game

the district scoreless streak for port arthur memorial 5-1 (3-0) was snapped early but they rolled galveston ball 44-7. no reports on the play of frog commit jaylon guilbeau

trevon mcalpine (dt) and saraland 6-2 (5-0) continued to be tough as the beat gulf shores 27-3. saraland for the year is ranked #17 in the state of alabama for their classification and have the inside on winning their region

joseph adedire (de) and mansfield summit 4-2 (3-0) beat richland 40-16 setting up a big district game next week with summit traveling to colleyville heritage. summit is ranked #12 in the metroplex and heritage #5

seth martin (ol) and everman 3-3 (2-1) beat arlington sequin 42-28 and next week face cleburne so we expect something from h1999 on martin

finally, cade mcconnell (ot) and choctaw 4-2 (2-1) held bixby to their lowest point total in district so far as they got beat by bixby 70-7. bixby had scored 81 and 71 points in district play prior to last night and i really have no clue what any of that means other than bixby scores a lot of points as choctaw had won 2 games prior and beat a highly regarded booker t washington team in their district opener