• The KillerFrogs

2022 Recruiting Thread

Froggish

Is our recruiting class always this thin over the summer?

Shouldn’t we have a few more commits for 22 or guys ready for early signing?

Yes it's thin but I think but it will be fine. Many recruits delayed their commitment decisions earlier in the summer waiting for the NCAA to allow visits and on campus workouts. Starting as of June 1, kids can now get on campus and actually meet coaches in person and workout for coaches. This is huge for TCU because GP is the pickiest coach you've ever seen and he likes to put his eyes on a kid while he works out. In fact I know that quirk abut GP drives some of assistants and HS coaches crazy. All that to say, it will start picking up around mid July. Nobody should worry unless we get to Sept and are struggling to get kids in the fold.

Finally...with the transfer Portal having become a major player, you'll see less HS kids signing and more slots being saved for Portal transfers. The in and out is going to get a little wild. I would expect TCU to lose 5-7 kids scholarship players annually and also get that many in return.

ticketfrog123

Yes it's thin but I think but it will be fine. Many recruits delayed their commitment decisions earlier in the summer waiting for the NCAA to allow visits and on campus workouts. Starting as of June 1, kids can now get on campus and actually meet coaches in person and workout for coaches. This is huge for TCU because GP is the pickiest coach you've ever seen and he likes to put his eyes on a kid while he works out. In fact I know that quirk abut GP drives some of assistants and HS coaches crazy. All that to say, it will start picking up around mid July. Nobody should worry unless we get to Sept and are struggling to get kids in the fold.

Finally...with the transfer Portal having become a major player, you'll see less HS kids signing and more slots being saved for Portal transfers. The in and out is going to get a little wild. I would expect TCU to lose 5-7 kids scholarship players annually and also get that many in return.

thanks. Explains why Oklahoma state has 8 commits and we only have 1

Froggish

thanks. Explains why Oklahoma state has 8 commits and we only have 1
Ok St got out fast in this cycle but they've already had a few decommits. If you're a middling P5 program (Non Blueblood) It's damn hard to hold on to a guy for 6 months while he watches his 7V7 and HS teammates head off to recruiting visits and be whined and dined. Its almost better for everyone to wait until mid summer for the train to start rolling. Would it be nice is 4 and 5 star kids want to jump aboard early? Sure but it's not reality for us. Here lately we've been going after bigger targets and focusing most our attention on them until we have no choice but to pivot to our secondary targets. I think that is also why we have been starting slow but finishing strong.

froginmn

tenor.gif

CryptoMiner

Portal to me is a wash, you lose 5-7 and add 5-7 but you sign the same amount of HS recruits you would without the portal. There will be some years where they may try to fill specific slots or have an extraordinary opportunity but still think it will not have a major effect on HS recruiting.

Froggish

Portal to me is a wash, you lose 5-7 and add 5-7 but you sign the same amount of HS recruits you would without the portal. There will be some years where they may try to fill specific slots or have an extraordinary opportunity but still think it will not have a major effect on HS recruiting.

I think you’re right but until the NCAA adjusts the annual 25 max signings rule, HS signings will dwindle. Right now it isn’t a 1 for 1 trade off because the total signing can’t yet exceed 25. Sign 5 portal kids and they have count against your 25 even if you lost 10.

Froggish

Both Texas and a Texas A&M had massive de-Commits today. Getting out fast in recruiting is great but you got to hold them until signing day and that’s not easy. The next 6 weeks should see a big number of commitments across football

asleep003

LOL I looked at that, then saw related tweets. "I expect my decision to be respected".

Yeah, and I expect your college experience to be filled with disappointment.

Sure his decision will be respected ... until the Frogs beat the Whorns for the 8th time in 10 games.

asleep003

Both Texas and a Texas A&M had massive de-Commits today. Getting out fast in recruiting is great but you got to hold them until signing day and that’s not easy. The next 6 weeks should see a big number of commitments across football
How school's seasons go will play a role in final choices.