• The KillerFrogs

2022 MLB Thread*

Bench coach Joe Espada interviewed for positions with both the Miami Marlins and the Chicago White Sox but was not offered either job.

Via Bob Nightengale:
“Houston Astros owner Jim Crane spoke with manager Dusty Baker and GM James Click on Monday and plans to formally extend each of them a contract for the 2023 season in the quest for back-to-back World Series titles.”

Eight

Bench coach Joe Espada interviewed for positions with both the Miami Marlins and the Chicago White Sox but was not offered either job.

Via Bob Nightengale:
“Houston Astros owner Jim Crane spoke with manager Dusty Baker and GM James Click on Monday and plans to formally extend each of them a contract for the 2023 season in the quest for back-to-back World Series titles.”

said it before, will say again, astros need to keep maldi and gurriel around in some capacity

both are too damn smart about the game, relate too well to their peers, and have made big impacts on the organization

Creeperfrog

Not 100% on this, but I heard a guy is being charged a felony for throwing a white claw at or to Ted Cruz. Tons of beers were thrown to astros. They grabbed them, drank them, and everyone loved it. No felonies

Eight

quilter, lisa t, bruce, this is the tshirt you need​

This may not be good for continuity and assembling a team for 2023—

Astros GM, James Click, is leaving. Supposedly, he was only offered a one year deal and was not happy about that.

Houston has also lost a pair of well-regarded assistant general managers already this winter to other teams: Pete Putila left to become the San Francisco Giants general manager, while Oz Ocampo joined the Miami Marlins as an assistant general manager.

Last edited:

Eight

This may not be good for continuity and assembling a team for 2023—

Astros GM, James Click, is leaving. Supposedly, he was only offered a one year deal and was not happy about that.

Houston has also lost a pair of well-regarded assistant general managers already this winter to other teams: Pete Putila left to become the San Francisco Giants general manager, while Oz Ocampo joined the Miami Marlins as an assistant general manager.

this has been coming for a few months.

click and the owner didn't agree about making certain things happen around the trade deadline

oz to me is the biggest loss

Creeperfrog

Jim Crane must of really not liked those guys. Does anyone know another situation where this could have happened? My only thought is Jimmy with the cowboys, but he might have been the only casualty. I don't know

Eight

Jim Crane must of really not liked those guys. Does anyone know another situation where this could have happened? My only thought is Jimmy with the cowboys, but he might have been the only casualty. I don't know

crane has a rep for being a complete arse and very tough to work for

Astros close to signing José Abreu to a reported 3 years and $58.5 million. I think 2 years and $36-40 million was the original thought on value. Crane may be missing not having Click to get that 3 years down to 2, ha—maybe pay more per year for 2.

His history is, a great bat, and he is very durable (I love that), but some think he has started his decline. He turns 36 in 2 months. His BA and OBP were up last year and Slugging down—.304/.378/.446. Homers down to only 15, but 40 doubles.

The knock on him, besides age, is he has always been below average in the field at 1st.

Three years sounds like one too many. Maybe that 3rd year will have a team buyout option. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Creeperfrog

Astros close to signing José Abreu to a reported 3 years and $58.5 million. I think 2 years and $36-40 million was the original thought on value. Crane may be missing not having Click to get that 3 years down to 2, ha—maybe pay more per year for 2.

His history is, a great bat, and he is very durable (I love that), but some think he has started his decline. He turns 36 in 2 months. His BA and OBP were up last year and Slugging down—.304/.378/.446. Homers down to only 15, but 40 doubles.

The knock on him, besides age, is he has always been below average in the field at 1st.

Three years sounds like one too many. Maybe that 3rd year will have a team buyout option. Any thoughts?
I like it, but I really like Yuli and Brantley. I hope they can somehow stay on the team

I like it, but I really like Yuli and Brantley. I hope they can somehow stay on the team
Abreu‘s good bat needs to be nearly as effective as it has been throughout his career to make up for his lesser fielding; if it is, then it more than does, we will hope. I think I like it, but just don’t like the third year which appears to be guaranteed. Astros maybe felt a bit desperate for a bat at first, assuming Yuli couldn’t bounce back, though he was good in the playoffs. Rumor is that the Astros want Yuli to stay on as a utility infielder; trying to talk him into it. He was a 3rd baseman and has played some second and even a bit of short.

Astros also interested in Andrew Benintendi for left field, which suggests they might not be interested in Brantley. I too was hoping Brantley would be on this team being he is a good veteran leader and is still a good on-base bat. I like Benintendi; a good enough outfielder and he can hit, and I think Yordan Alvarez should spend most or at least half of his time at DH; his knees are always going to be a concern since both have already been operated on.

Reports are the Astros are also speaking with catcher Wilson Contreras; another good bat, but lesser behind the plate.

All this makes me think they are not planning on signing Verlander.

Last edited: